Let's See Your Toyota Expedition Build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just about where I want it now, although I am always keeping an eye on RTT's and a nice drawer system.
IMG_7917.jpg
DSC_0139.jpg

Trans Labrador Highway and Trans Taiga Road are both on my list for exploration. Of course it is a bit of a drive to go from one to the other.;) Something about the terrain between being impassable.

It's such a vast and empty land! and I just loved it! I am hoping to run the Trans Taiga this winter =]

I stopped in the spot where you are closest to the Trans Taiga on the Trans Lab and thought to myself gee that doesn't look so impassable a few trucks some chainsaws and some scouting on a dirt bike and plane :D

MANUCHAO Thanks!! I really want to do Alaska! your trip looked fantastic I recommend the east coasts its such a great place!

I stopped in the spot where you are closest to the Trans Taiga on the Trans Lab and thought to myself gee that doesn't look so impassable a few trucks some chainsaws and some scouting on a dirt bike and plane :D

I've been wondering the same, but started my looking from the Taiga. I did look at terrain on topo maps and satellite images. Nasty. I noticed some spots where one may need to hoist a truck up or down ledges or blast to make a suitable slope if a route around can't be found. I saw nothing that lead me to believe it would be impossible to make a road. Just not likely economically feasible. Also the reservoir at the end of the TTR may have flooded out many possible routes. I've seen signs of a road around the south side of the reservoir on some images on google but it goes through lots of spots in the reservoir. The available topos are from before the reservoir was filled. Google's images are not high enough scale to work with and they are also pre reservoir filling. I'd love to start with a set of current meter scale images or better yet a LIDAR map. The LIDAR map doesn't need to be elevation perfect, I just need accurate relative elevations. The biggest worry I have is some of the rivers. How and where to cross them?

As for scouting, I was thinking of using a large model helicopter with a couple lightweight helmet cams on it plus a video downlink. A helicopter type UAV would be nearly ideal. With three HD video cameras aligned and held at the points of a 2 meter per side triangle I bet I could post process to a very usable 3D ground plot.

Canada topo maps:
GeoGratis - Download Directory

Nice vehicles everyone! :D Keep it up!

The more varied style and model of Toyota Expedition vehicle I see in here, the more and more I am realizing I wish I'd thought of this thread a lot sooner.

:cheers:

Last edited:
FWIW, what I spent the last two days doing, changing up a few small things to change the 4Runner from a "Two Person Expedition Rig" into a "Family Expedition Rig".

2nd Gen 4Runner Baby Seat Tether Mod: https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...n-1995-4runner-project-wimpy.html#post4860518
3994745320_de2a78ca7c_b.jpg

*All you out there with 89-Newer Vehicles that don't have tether points for the baby seat should (supposedly) also have similar points under your cargo area carpets. :idea:

Realizing the Mother-to-Be shouldn't be the only one getting her project needs taken care of, I took care of my seat repair finally.

2nd Gen 4Runner Drivver's Seat Repair: https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...ket-seat-drivers-seat-repair-swap-lowers.html

3994517900_16df236cf9.jpg

3993787701_5e0fcc5d2c.jpg

Last edited:
My 1995 the day I brought her home:

FZJ80003Small.jpg

What a difference wheels and tires can make:

FZJ80004Small.jpg

Starting the drawer/storage system:

Drawersetup4Small.jpg

As she is today:

UPOverland2009012.jpg

Full deployment:

CampDay2WLG_BG_TLC.jpg

B.

:p So, what did you all do this evening, I sat back and watched this happen. :D
3997689218_4b459671e7_b.jpg

Hey NCB, that's an AWESOME picture! :beer:

Hey stranger! How you doing? *Note, my kanji sucks everyone, but I'm sure he'll figure this next bit out..google translate to verify I'm even close.

投稿写真をいくつかはすでに!

のでヤード、他の良いもののリサイクルのいくつかのショットを投稿してしばらくしている

I know you have some! :D

Pm me your email if you would like a copy to print up, just don't go making money off it w/o a kickback. The original is blocked.
(Same for anyone else ever wanting copies of my pics, prints, etc. I'll figure out pricing someday, but for now why not? :D )

Last edited:
I had no idea you were fluent in Japanese! :rolleyes::lol:

What I got is something like this...

"Some of the pictures that have been submitted!"
"So, yard, it's been a while since some of the good recycled shots have been submitted"

Or something like that anyway! :flipoff2:

Thanks for the offer for the copies.
I might have to take you up on it!

Sorry to derail the thread.

My truck is FAR from being expedition-ready, but I've put on an aluminum roof rack, with cross bars and an aluminum rear ladder on recently. And I've got a Mombassa RTT stored in Utah. I'll get there eventually! :hillbilly:

Anyway, great thread!
PICT0001.jpg
PICT0004.jpg
PICT0002b.jpg

It's my thread, it's related, so it's Ok.

Like Spanish, I likely only know enough to keep me out of jail. :hillbilly: I do get to practice at least 3 times a month here: http://ramenhalu.com/

Here's where I goofed up:

いくつかの画像を投稿する Post some pictures!

そこを参照してくださいリサイクルヤードのポストショットがいくつか。車両レッカー車。 Post some shots of the recycling yards you see out there. (Vehicle Wreckers).

Misplaced a couple symbols probably.

I remember for the longest time those pics and posts you made of your visits to the wreckers, the signs, etc. you picked up.
For you they're everyday things, for us, new and different.
That sort of stuff, just without the sales pitch would be great. (Yes everyone he sells some of the stuff he finds.)

Same goes for the members from Australia, etc. You all would just as likely love pictures of the Sierra Foothills as much as I love seeing red dirt. :D

Pics, pics, pics, it's all about sharing your adventures. :D

Last edited:
Hey, that sounds great to me!

Actually, today we're planning on going to my relatives' for the fall festival.

I'll try to remember to take some pics! :hillbilly:

C'Mon now Mot, where's some pics...you promised! Let's see some pictures everyone! :popcorn:

So just to rub it in a little more..hee-hee-heee, this is an excerpt from my build thread on the turn signal swap I just finished. :steer: As always, the full info's available in my thread, and a link is in my signature.

I never felt the love for the setup the Marlin Crawler bumpers use for their turn signal relocations..

Before
3656425426_ec75cb0771_b.jpg

After! :D
4023656685_9215d693e7_b.jpg

Last edited:
I just got back from the festival... :rolleyes: :hillbilly:

Nothing relevant(sp) to expeditions, but here are some pics from a VERY local, fall harvesting festival.

Mud1.jpg
Mud2.jpg
Mud3.jpg

Last edited:
Some more...

Note that there ARE gay men in Japan.

There's hope for Liam to find his match here if he runs out of lovers in the US. :flipoff2:

Mud4.jpg
Mudgay1.jpg
Mudgay2.jpg

Last edited:
This is an expedition build thread, not a gay thread!

It's my thread, it's related, so it's Ok.

They're related to me.... so we're :cool:, aren't we? :D

Yeah, I meant to find some expedition-type vehicles on my way to the festival, but just could not find any!

These floats, however had ladders in the back that would look cool on LC's though. :hillbilly:

Hi-jack off!

Trying to redeem myself....

But I came up empty....

So I've just snapped some pics of the cross bar on my roof rack which would allow me to use the Thule-type accessories/attachments while still using my rack.

They came with braces which supports the bar from sagging/bending down but I could not loosen the rusty bolts when I tried to slap them on (Sprayed WD-40 on them, hoping that would loosen them up a little).

cross bar1.jpg
cross bar 2.jpg
cross bar 3.jpg

Just a few more...

You see a groove running vertically between the two cross bars.

You can slide the bars pretty much anywhere you want in between for different attachments/accessories (I've separated them at the max. distance just to have the most floor space for the time being).
cross bar 4.jpg
cross bar 5.jpg
cross bar 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom