Leftover Bolts ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! This is my first time posting so let me know if I'm forgetting something. I have a gas '93 LC with 215,000 miles that blew a head gasket. When I pulled the head I found a tiny bit of scoring on the #6 cylinder. That coupled with leaking rear and front main seals convinced me to pull the engine and have it rebuilt. To make a long story short, the machine shop kept the engine for 3 months before completing work on it. I got it back last week and am almost finished putting it back together but I have 3 bolts that I can't identify left over. I labeled almost everything and laid it out in order of removal but 3 months is a long time! I'm almost ready to start it up but I hate to without knowing what these went to. The shorter (2") bolt was in a bag with the other bolt and nut that hold the power steering pump to the block, but I can't see anywhere this one could go. The other two (3") bolts were farther down the line (in order of removal) and I can't find anywhere they might go. The only other bolts that were anywhere near this long were two of the bolts that hold the top and bottom of the intake manifold together, but I have already installed those. Any help would be appreciated before I crank it up! Here is a pic of the bolts:
IMG_0204.jpeg

I do not have an answer but I do feel for you. I am going to be embarking on putting one back together that has been sitting for SEVEN YEARS. Labeled or not, your situation is both frustrating and disheartening. That first start up is going to be tense.

I do not have an answer but I do feel for you. I am going to be embarking on putting one back together that has been sitting for SEVEN YEARS. Labeled or not, your situation is both frustrating and disheartening. That first start up is going to be tense.
It will be tense! I've put a lot into this rebuild. Hoping for the best.

The two longer bolts look like the bolts that go through the front of the head into the timing case.
These would be clean, as in, no corrosion or grime on them.

The other one, re check around the timing cover, water pump, manifold areas
These bolts aren't that clean. Definitely not under the valve cover kind of clean. I bought a new oil pump and timing chain kit and brought it with the engine to the rebuild shop and they installed them. I had previously removed the VC, camshaft, and head and brought those to the rebuild shop in a box. They returned it (obviously) reassembled with new parts. I wonder if these may have been bolts that I removed but they put back using other bolts? I really don't think so considering that I would've brought them with the engine and neither of these kits contained any new bolts. Still scratching my head on this one...

This is pic of my engine when I first got it back from the shop. Do you mean the timing cover bolts with the red arrow? These bolts have caked road grime on the heads so I don't think it would be them. Would the shiny new bolt with the blue arrow be the other one? If so, they may have grabbed one of the shelf to put there because that ain't no Toyota bolt! Not sure why I would've put it in the bag with the steering pump bolts, though. Here's another picture from the other side in case that helps.

IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0185.jpeg

Take the valve cover off and double check those two longer bolts do look like them. No way I would start it without checking first
These definitely did not live under the valve cover. You can see the crud on the heads in this picture. Also, I took the oil cap off and I can see one of those timing cone bolts through the opening. It looks like a 10mm head whereas these have a 12mm head.

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

top two bolts are the timing cover bolts bolted down through the head into the cover. The other bolt is either water pump, Timing cover or the upper oil pan front drivers side.

top two bolts are the timing cover bolts bolted down through the head into the cover. The other bolt is either water pump, Timing cover or the upper oil pan front drivers side.
If the third bolt is for the upper oil pan, would it be one of these?

IMG_0224.jpeg

This is a picture of the two front head bolts they are 12mm head and 3” long.

View attachment 3544337
Can you see the head of one of these bolts through the oil cap? If so, they must've installed another one because I'm seeing something where I think it should be located. The answer to this question will determine if I need to spend a couple hours removing the VC to check or not. The motor is completely back together now.

Can you see the head of one of these bolts through the oil cap? If so, they must've installed another one because I'm seeing something where I think it should be located. The answer to this question will determine if I need to spend a couple hours removing the VC to check or not. The motor is completely back together now.
Yes you can see one of the heads from the bolt through the cap. There are only 2 bolts that are 3” long with that shoulder on a 1fz motor and that’s the front head bolts. The other ones that are close are the timing cover but the longest one is 2.25” and next size down is 2”. The upper intake has some close ones but they are not 3” they are 2.75”. Left one is intake bolt and right one is head bolt in picture.

image.jpg

I re-read the whole thread, looks like you found your answer.

Last edited:
Yes you can see one of the heads from the bolt through the cap. There are only 2 bolts that are 3” long with that shoulder on a 1fz motor and that’s the front head bolts. The other ones that are close are the timing cover but the longest one is 2.25” and next size down is 2”. The upper intake has some close ones but they are not 3” they are 2.75”. Left one is intake bolt and right one is head bolt in picture.

View attachment 3544452

View attachment 3544452
Perfect. Thanks! I appreciate the extra work you went to in finding and taking a picture. It looks like my shop must've used different bolts there but at least they are there! I wasn't looking forward to pulling everything back apart again. I think the same thing happened with the other bolt. Feel much better now! I went ahead and cranked it up and ran it for awhile this afternoon. Nothing smoked or blew up. All good! Thanks again to everyone who helped out today. I wouldn't have even attempted this project without this forum and all the knowledge found here.

So we talked about this just for you to fire it up. Glad it worked. Don’t throw those ones away you might be redoing that one day and need them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom