LED Turn Signal Flasher for LEDs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Ok... I got this done. These LED flasher units, sourced from DealExtreme, do not in fact plug in to the 86FJ60 flasher port on the relay panel up under the dash on the (US spec) driver's side (the pin don't line up). But at $9.70 for TWO of them, delivered, it is hard to beat. I built a little adapter to do the job.
I'm happy to report that these work just fine in testing with LED bulbs in the rear turn sockets. I have not put LEDs in the fronts yet. I'll report back if there are any long term issues.
I intend to zip tie the flasher unit up so it doesn't move around and come loose (although those connectors have a pretty tight grip.)

Mark
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg

Thank you for this great way to adapt the LED flasher. I used your idea last weekend. Your picture really helped me get the old flasher off. When I saw that you had removed 2 other relays that made that part of it much easier. I plan to glue a thin strip of aluminum to the flasher and mount the flasher using one of the nearby dash support bolts.

You can get a nice little flasher replacement kit from Toyota that works perfectly for LEDs.

81980-12H04, on the right.

FLDSC1016.jpg

Will the flasher kit 81980-12H04 fit in the slot for a FJ62?

60s/62s have same flasher, so it should, but I've never looked at a 62 setup, so...

Seems to flash like a modern car, now. I guess slightly faster. Both on the 40 and 60. But the old mechanical ones were in bad shape, so my experience is really a poor comparison. If you use the standard type bulbs, it'll flash just like modernish.

Do the hazards use a different flasher than the turn signals? When I wired in my trailer lights, the relays work with the blinkers but not with the hazards. A bit off topic. Sorry. But I'm thinking that replacing the relay to the LED style might solve both problems at once.

Mark- glad I found your post as I have this new flasher unit which obvi doesnt fit into the original slot and need to build some jumpers. Do you happen to know the side of the male-female spades you used? Seems like they are dift sizes in looking at the original slots and the new relay. Curious as I am not a mechanical genius and want to make sure I get the right pieces.

FWIW, another Mark - AKA mud member, 'Coolerman' sells a jumper on his website:

Click on the link that says flasher/relay stuff

Cruiser Wiring

IMG_1139.jpg

Been following this for a while, and I just got the 81980-12H04 Toyota flasher for my 62-- it does not fit. The T-connector only has 2 prongs inside and doesnt come close to fitting the space with the 3 original prongs. Maybe it works for the 60s, but not this 62.

Going to look at Coolerman's adaptor, or make my own based on how @woytovich did his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom