LED lighting.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
As per advice from many, I am about to take the plunge and get LED bulbs. However, where does one get them, and for the headlights, is it plug and play, or do I need new wiring harnesses?

Superbrightleds.com Excluding headlights, they mostly run on 10-30v, so you'll be fine whatever you have. There's probably a couple threads in 80's FAQ or Tech with part numbers. Actually, I don't know if LED headlights are the same 10-30v. I have a set of unknown brand HI and Lo you can have if you want to try them, but I found I could outdrive them at 45mph. You're also dealing with RHD which probably has influence on the beam pattern.

I'd seriously consider NOT doing LED headlights. Most of them are plug and play (everything is included AFAIK), but I have yet to see any in an 80 that don't scatter light everywhere. I think they're generally obnoxious to oncoming traffic, IMHO. Flame on. Look at the HIR 9011 and HIR 9012 here instead. I have them in 2 of my 80's. Come by one night to investigate.

EDIT: @pfran42 7w Q5 reverse bulbs for the win. So much better than the Q5's (not that they're bad, tho).

Last edited:
Just a word to the wise......
A LED light is no better than the circuitry that protects the actual bulbs. The quality of this circuitry is often the difference in a cheap bulb vs the more expensive units and has a direct relationship to reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom