LED DRL and Flasher Conversion - No Hyper Flash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I appreciate this thread but I am a bit confused. Maybe what I want doesn't exist but I want to be able to use LED turn signals while keeping day time running lights. I see that harness posted that is a few bucks and requires a wire moved and I see the smart tap module, but the module specifically says no DTRL. What option exists to keep DTRL and use LED lights and not melt things?

My DRL are still on—I hate them though—but they are still on. I used the harness and smart tap option. Nothing’s gonna melt. :)

My DRL are still on—I hate them though—but they are still on. I used the harness and smart tap option. Nothing’s gonna melt. :)

If you dislike them so much, why not disable them through techstream? The tool with software was around $30 on amazon shipped.

If you dislike them so much, why not disable them through techstream? The tool with software was around $30 on amazon shipped.

Way ahead of you, waiting for it to be back in stock. :D

1C084FF6-ACFA-4034-B28B-B9DCF221B996.png

Also, is there something inherently special about the smart tap unit itself? Would something like this work? LED Flasher for 2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner (non-DTRL)

It appears to be a relay specifically for led flasher lights. I am not crazy about the features that smart tap brings and I think i'd rather save the $50.
Nothing inherently special except for the additional features. Any flasher designed for the non-DRL 4Runner (which is what the add-on conversion cable was for, converting the DRL flasher to a non-DRL flasher for vehicles sold in markets where DRL's were not mandated) should work.

I'm honestly surprised MrTorgue's DRLs still work, as the newer flasher didn't have the circuits required to allow the DRLs to function as both a turn signal and DRL.

Nothing inherently special except for the additional features. Any flasher designed for the non-DRL 4Runner (which is what the add-on conversion cable was for, converting the DRL flasher to a non-DRL flasher for vehicles sold in markets where DRL's were not mandated) should work.

I'm honestly surprised MrTorgue's DRLs still work, as the newer flasher didn't have the circuits required to allow the DRLs to function as both a turn signal and DRL.

You sir are correct. I went outside and had my wife check and lo-and-behold the DRLs don’t work. I must of had the parking lights on as we never drive at night? Either way I’m happy. :)

I appreciate this thread but I am a bit confused. Maybe what I want doesn't exist but I want to be able to use LED turn signals while keeping day time running lights. I see that harness posted that is a few bucks and requires a wire moved and I see the smart tap module, but the module specifically says no DTRL. What option exists to keep DTRL and use LED lights and not melt things?

Here's what I've done for DRLs:

I hated the OEM DRLs so I turned them off with techstream(or if you added the SmartTap they turn themselves off.

I followed this video to "hack" the fog lights. I keep the fog light switch on all the time. They turn on automatically when the key is turned on and they turn off when the truck is shut off. Fog lights are now your DRLs, and you can still turn them off if you want to sneak up on people.

You can follow part 2 of this by using a scotchlock to join pin 16 and 17 on the connector under your steering wheel. Doing this will then keep your fog lights on when you turn on the high beams. In my case the wire color of pin 16 matched what was described in the article but pin 17 was red and white not red and green like described.

I’ve got an update. I bought the $10 led relay and the $11 Toyota harness, swapped pin 10 to slot 11 and I bought front and rear led turn signal bulbs on amazon. I installed it all this morning and it looks great. Thanks guys for putting together a nice write up on how to do this.

edit: I did however give up on the idea of having drl to make this work.

My only thought was I could have gotten the resistor too hot while soldering? Weird that it works fine on the turn signal.
Did you just replace the front blinkers? I had this problem when I had LEDs up front and halogens in the back. The hazards went back to normal once I changed the rear blinkers too.

Did you just replace the front blinkers? I had this problem when I had LEDs up front and halogens in the back. The hazards went back to normal once I changed the rear blinkers too.
Boom! I bet that's it, I still have halogens in the back. Thanks for the heads up, I'll get some leds for the back!

Well, the saga continues.
I just put some LED's in the rear (also in the front) and now I'm back to hypeflash on turn signal. However the hazards work just fine at normal speed.

I'm confused.

At this put I'm just going to put the halogens back in the rear because I would rather have the normal speed turn signals with LED's in the front and still no hazards.

Well, the saga continues.
I just put some LED's in the rear (also in the front) and now I'm back to hypeflash on turn signal. However the hazards work just fine at normal speed.

I'm confused.

At this put I'm just going to put the halogens back in the rear because I would rather have the normal speed turn signals with LED's in the front and still no hazards.

The warning flashers (hazards) are not a part of the turn indicator circuit if I remember correctly. The simple fix is just to use the 4runner wiring harness (#82241-35010) and swap out pin 10 to 11 and use a smart tap or other purpose built relay designed to resolve the issue if you want to use LEDs on the front and back and not hyper flash.

*edit*
Never mind, apparently the topic is if you want to not hyper flash AND have DRLs. So no, the fix above won’t work if you want both of the aforementioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom