Leaking Knuckle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well friends. What I believe is the steering knuckle on the drivers side continues to leak. Picture attached of both leaking drivers and dry passengers for comparison. I’ll do some reading in Haynes tonight to see if I can learn more. But what do you think?
Thanks in Advance!

980F06DC-6D68-4CB5-BCA1-715DE585AAE5.jpeg

363A3425-A0BF-4C41-A30A-47C1B562DD85.jpeg

Inner axle seal has failed. Very common. Fix it yourself. Go with the Marlin Crawler seal. Lots of shop towels and patience, both sides can be done over a weekend.
K. Thanks Sam. Was just reading more about it here on a thread. Cruiser Outfitter knuckle rebuild kit?
You saying a person might as well do both while you’re at it ;) ?

Agree just did this for second time ever a couple weeks ago. Kurt from Cruiser outfitters has nice complete kit and some instructions included. Get a LC FSM if you can if you need I can print off some pages for you out of mine. IF you have an O'reillys close to you check on renting bearing driver set. If you don't have any I would also buy a couple of good brass drifts to remove the old races and I love my brass hammer when doing these. Also I think it is a 54mm socket which is a must. IF you don't want to buy one let me know I can loan mine to you. They're cheap though and good to have in the future.
Craploads of grease and more paper towels then you have ever bought in your lifetime.
Thanks should do it! Good Luck!

Oops, gloves and a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Agree just did this for second time ever a couple weeks ago. Kurt from Cruiser outfitters has nice complete kit and some instructions included. Get a LC FSM if you can if you need I can print off some pages for you out of mine. IF you have an O'reillys close to you check on renting bearing driver set. If you don't have any I would also buy a couple of good brass drifts to remove the old races and I love my brass hammer when doing these. Also I think it is a 54mm socket which is a must. IF you don't want to buy one let me know I can loan mine to you. They're cheap though and good to have in the future.
Craploads of grease and more paper towels then you have ever bought in your lifetime.
Thanks should do it! Good Luck!
Awesome input. Watching a vid on it now. Messy, and a significant job for my abilities, but I am going to keep studying and try to build up to it by around first week d of the month. I do have an oreileys to check on the rental. I do not have the fsm however. Thanks for the insight beast!

Holler at me sometime this week. I can try and get some pics of mine and see if that will help you. Don't sweat it, really its pretty simple just little time consuming/messy. I like to set things out exactly how they came off which helps tremendously when putting back together. This was my first venture into working on my 82 40. Frustrating as hell at first, but pretty easy the second time around. You will also understand a ton about the front end of your cruiser!

One thing that kicked my butt were the cone washers the first time (buy some PB blaster) but there is technique for removing them again where the brass hammer came into play.

Keep your shims exactly how you take them off on the top and lower portions.

Your gonna need torque wrench also but that should pretty much cover it (maybe couple other little items)

Holler at me sometime this week. I can try and get some pics of mine and see if that will help you. Don't sweat it, really its pretty simple just little time consuming/messy. I like to set things out exactly how they came off which helps tremendously when putting back together. This was my first venture into working on my 82 40. Frustrating as hell at first, but pretty easy the second time around. You will also understand a ton about the front end of your cruiser!

One thing that kicked my butt were the cone washers the first time (buy some PB blaster) but there is technique for removing them again where the brass hammer came into play.

Keep your shims exactly how you take them off on the top and lower portions.

Your gonna need torque wrench also but that should pretty much cover it (maybe couple other little items)
Awesome. Thanks for that. This is an 82 as well. Some pics will be great. I’ll start a list from from items you guys have listed and get to prepping 😬🤞

Awesome. Thanks for that. This is an 82 as well. Some pics will be great. I’ll start a list from from items you guys have listed and get to prepping 😬🤞
Did you change the bearings out as well?

Inner axle seal has failed. Very common. Fix it yourself. Go with the Marlin Crawler seal. Lots of shop towels and patience, both sides can be done over a weekend.

Marlin Crawler told me the SEALS , only fit disc brake axles. ?? That eliminates a lot of axles.

Did you change the bearings out as well?

I change them all when I'm in there, for me it's a choice of cleaning all the bearings or just replacing, for the cost, I just replace. both knuckle and wheel bearings and races.

I have found a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of kerosene is perfect for cleaning off the parts. After wiping off most of the grease I let them soak in the kerosene for awhile. Then I final clean them with brake cleaner.

I have found a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of kerosene is perfect for cleaning off the parts. After wiping off most of the grease I let them soak in the kerosene for awhile. Then I final clean them with brake cleaner.
Nice. Thanks shark. Kerosene is now added to the list!

I like this idea, I do soak my nuts and bolts in coffee mug with some brake cleaner in it and it works great.

I like this idea, I do soak my nuts and bolts in coffee mug with some brake cleaner in it and it works great.
I bet that is some strong coffee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom