leak in AHC line while in backcountry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening I am currently camping in Colorado and noticed the ahc line above the rear axle leaking from corrosion. It’s the 48998-60010 p/n. The line has a foil wrap to protect from heat of exhaust below it. The rust was at the edge of the foil.
Yesterday I towed a small camper here, now I’m wondering what my best course of action is to get home. How much fluid loss will cause the system to drop to low mode? When I disconnected the trailer I dropped it to low to get out from under the hitch. If I disable the system will I minimize fluid loss until I can get home. Thanks for any insight you may have.

IMG_5039.jpeg

system will re-activate when you drive over 19mph.
are you talking about a "wet" area from the fluid, or active dripping?
Have you checked your fluid level?

I wrapped the line in quick steel for now. Unplugged the harness above the left rear wheel well and reset the ecu.
system will re-activate when you drive over 19mph.
are you talking about a "wet" area from the fluid, or active dripping?
Have you checked your fluid level?
I noticed a few “wet” spots in the dirt when I was leveling the trailer. I unplugged the harness above the left rear wheel well and reset the ecu. My thinking is to go home with the system off and pump disabled. I don’t have any reason to think I’ve lost a substantial amount of fluid since I caught it early. I’ll research checking the fluid level.

I wrapped the line in quick steel for now. Unplugged the harness above the left rear wheel well and reset the ecu.

I noticed a few “wet” spots in the dirt when I was leveling the trailer. I unplugged the harness above the left rear wheel well and reset the ecu. My thinking is to go home with the system off and pump disabled. I don’t have any reason to think I’ve lost a substantial amount of fluid since I caught it early. I’ll research checking the fluid level.
there's a hatch on the rear passenger wheel well. You'll need a 10mm socket to open it.
Shine a light from the spare tire side (above the spare) toward the reservoir, and then look at the level in the hatch you opened at the wheel well

Thank you!
there's a hatch on the rear passenger wheel well. You'll need a 10mm socket to open it.
Shine a light from the spare tire side (above the spare) toward the reservoir, and then look at the level in the hatch you opened at the wheel well

The level is well below min line. The ride height is currently at normal with system disabled.
Shine a light from the spare tire side (above the spare) toward the reservoir, and then look at the level in the hatch you opened at the wheel w

If the system is disabled, like you can’t see the AHC readout on the dash level of disabled, and you have the normal leak (as you described), you should be good to drive it. The system pressure at the ”shocks” is retained at a valve downstream from the tube over the muffler. If it’s holding height, then it should be fine.

I've successfully trail repaired a high pressure power steering hose with "Self-fusing Silicone Tape" and a hose clamp. HP P/S hoses are rated about 1500psi. For you, I would sand down the area with fine sand paper, roll the silicone tape tightly over the hole and put a tiny (maybe 1/4") hose clamp over it all. There's no curing time for the tape.

If you can't find the tape, then maybe JB waterweld. Wait until it cures (1 hour) and then some type of membrane over it and hose clamp.

Ok I installed a new tube and clips today, where is the best place to initially bleed out all of the air I introduced with the empty line? According to diagrams it looks like this tube goes from pump to height control valve. Does that mean the air will immediately scatter throughout the system or can I catch the majority of it before doing a standard flush and bleed? Thanks
IMG_5230.jpeg

Is your truck at N or H height now? The best thing you could do is lower it and push the air back to the reservoir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom