Leak diagnosis help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchased an '87 that has sat for a couple years. 212K on the 2F. 4 speed. I am wondering where the leak(s) is coming from. Transmission vs Rear main seal? I'm hoping to get my head wrapped around what it could be before I consider my options on repairing it. I uploaded a video as well.

Any other keen eye observations are welcomed as well.

Here's the video link: Youtube Link

tempImageezl46n.jpg
tempImageNy7RPx.jpg
tempImageUGb58m.jpg

I would start by removing the clutch inspection cover. It is curious that the inspection cover seems much cleaning than other parts around it. Did you clean it off, or can we assume the previous owner removed it?

There is a gasket that goes around the inspection cover that is discontinued. But I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. It us not used for keeping liquid in or out, except maybe to keep road splash out of the clutch.

I think you want to make sure the clutch surfaces are not getting oil on them as this will cause the clutch to foul. Otherwise you can live with a leak like this for a long time as long as you are not losing too much oil from the engine or transmission.

*edit--forgot the picture

1684330936742.png

Last edited:
Yea I cleaned off the oil/mud mortar mix from the inspection cover (didn’t know that’s what it was, either), since that’s where it had been accumulating. I wanted to see how much and how fast it would collect.

To your point, from what little I have driven it thus far (need new tires), it seems to only drip a few drops onto the floor within the first 1-2 days after it sits, then it stops.

I’ll take that inspection cover off and see what I see. Thanks

I too have similar leaks- just figured out ATF might also have mini drip- but on ground it’s hard to notice differences between the ATF and oil without really examining it as what I believe is the ATF is a “dirty pink” making it very similar in shade to oil.
s*** runs down hill as they say.
And we def know the oil also has a leak in possibly rear seal.
Anywho - I was advised to use under carriage washer to remove as much crud etc as possible. Then use a uv dye to oil let it run for a bit then use uv light to find leaks, like CSI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom