LC vs. LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just get whatever the cleanest truck you can afford is. Bonus for Lexus (and if you can do this with Toyota someone chime in), is that you can put the VIN into Lexus' service website and pull the dealer records. I ended up getting a 100% dealer maintained truck up to 3k miles before I bought it from a used car lot that knew nothing about its maintenance history and was selling it too cheap.

You can. The systems are linked. The email you have registered on Lexus is recognized if you try to register it on Toyota.

The newest 100-series in 13 years old. Find the cleanest, lowest mileage, maintained unit you can afford. LX is better......

I'll be the dissenting opinion. I wanted the simplest version of the 100 series I could find. No AHC, no frills, didn't need a plush luxury quality ride. I wanted a simple, reliable vehicle that I could maintain myself with little drama. My 2001 LC fits that bill perfectly for me and my family.

**Not hating on the LX at all and agree with all the LX pros mentioned in this thread.**

I'll be the dissenting opinion. I wanted the simplest version of the 100 series I could find. No AHC, no frills, didn't need a plush luxury quality ride. I wanted a simple, reliable vehicle that I could maintain myself with little drama. My 2001 LC fits that bill perfectly for me and my family.

**Not hating on the LX at all and agree with all the LX pros mentioned in this thread.**
Ah, that would be a Toyota Sequoia you're looking for sir

You missed that one badly. If you wanted simple you should have gone with a 98-99 anything. The 2000 model year with all its new electronic features changed everything. That crap never ages well. Ten or fifteen years from now the collector car community will be debating whether 1997 was the last year of the true simple Land Cruiser, or was it 1999. The presence or absence of AHC is irrelevant in the long term.

I put in an offer on an '06 so we'll see how that goes. It's on the upper end of my budget so the after purchase fun will have to dialed down to just mildly interesting. :(
That happens anyway with these rigs

You missed that one badly. If you wanted simple you should have gone with a 98-99 anything. The 2000 model year with all its new electronic features changed everything. That crap never ages well. Ten or fifteen years from now the collector car community will be debating whether 1997 was the last year of the true simple Land Cruiser, or was it 1999. The presence or absence of AHC is irrelevant in the long term.

Good point! Things definitely changed with the addition of ATRAC. That said, coming from 18 years of Land Rover ownership I'm super impressed with the build quality and reliability of the 100. Some of my wants (and concerns) in the purchase of my 100 we're based off of how my Rovers aged. Knowing what I do now, I would approach shopping for a 100 differently and with a few less worries.

@nukegoat the one failure of the 01 LC is the lack of night view...

So the LX is better in almost every way but the LC demands a higher price. Cool

It's entirely possible that that's a forum thing. Forums pick up things like that and repeat them ad nauseam and ad infinitum, and the next thing you they're a "truth". I've watched the market closely for years and have never perceived it. And good valuation guides seem to have the LX as worth more, but as my record shows I'm not a big fan of valuation guides. The older they get the less the emblems matter.

LC looks better for sure, but you are going to find more examples of the LX in the states , and most of those have never been offroad and meticulously maintained.

The AHC is great, but it's a constant worry in the back of my mind to be honest. Once it fails I'm replacing the suspension myself though.

LC looks better for sure, but you are going to find more examples of the LX in the states , and most of those have never been offroad and meticulously maintained.

^^^^^

This is exactly what I found when I was looking for a Land Cruiser (ended up with an LX). I didn't buy my LX because of any added features or perception that it was 'better' than the Land Cruisers I had seen, its just that there were more of them for me to look at.

Also, almost without exception...the LX's were in better shape, had fewer miles, better service records and were selling for LESS than the Land Cruisers. Wanting the cleanest and best maintained vehicle I could find, it became clear to me I would need to consider the LX's even though I wanted a straight up Land Cruiser.

I continue to like the front of the Land Cruiser better than the LX, but aside from that I am happy with what we found.

I wanted an lc initially but as mentioned they were harder to find and most had been moded (priced in the 20s). I didn't want an lx because of the ahc - wow was I glad I landed with an lx. The ahc is easily my favorite feature and the damping modes are fun to play with as well as instant response. The lx interior with wood steering wheel etc was icing on cake I feel like I like a champ driving around. I also thought the lx glass is thicker and has a quieter cabin. Plus lexus maintenance history online and most owners took them to dealer to maintain. As far as I know the lc has better head lamp bulbs but otherwise lx superior??

You can always try to find a LC that failed on the trail from AK to YK. The crew has probably died by now and the keys are probably nearby

in my opinion if you're looking at 98-99 the LC with factory locker is better/worth the extra money in good condition.

Post 2000 it's LX for sure since both have ATRAC and in my opinion the extra money an LC will cost isn't worth it just for the looks.

As far as AHC, if it fails a new suspension lift will be around $1k, and you'd likely spend the same money lifting the LC you bought as well. So you might as well ride the AHC until it breaks.

You pay more for the land cruiser badge and the priviledge of not having to explain "well actually it's a land cruiser " everytime someone asks why you are wheeling a lexus

I’m new to the 100 series. I recently picked up a stock ‘07 LC for all the well known reasons. Not long after I got it I drove my buddy’s ‘01 LX on 285/70/18’s for a couple weeks (otherwise stock). Honestly, the consensus that LX’s are great, more power isn’t needed and 5 speeds aren’t necessary is absolutely correct. I had no complaints about his LX, I’m even pretty jealous that he has seat memory! It’s a great rig for the money. I just couldn’t do that face 😂
DFCB82C5-55E4-4013-A4AD-9BDCC270876A.jpeg
B7E4B6B2-AA54-4314-8DA1-F4C8419152DC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom