Wanted Late-model ('79-'84) NOS Troopy Panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tlaporte

SILVER Star
Threads
I know this is a crazy ask, but I've seen some pretty crazy stuff that people have in their stashes.

I've acquired a bunch of NOS body parts for my Troopy and I'm wondering if anyone has any others hiding in a warehouse or closet somewhere. I'm mostly curious to see how much of a NOS Troopy body I could put together, and how much it might cost. I've got fenders, A and B pillars, cowl vent panels, rocker panels and side panels (over fenders), as well as a RHS lower soft top ambulance door. I have a line on a NOS bib, and possibly a hood, which would account for an entire front end of bolted on parts, plus the sides along back to the B pillar. I've never come across a dash or floor panels, nor rear quarters but I figure if I don't ask I'll never know.

LMK what you've got. PM's welcome. I have an extra pair of NOS front fenders that I can trade with.

I know that a good body shop can repair/replace just about anything on these old trucks, that's the beauty of them, but I'm kind of curious to see how close to OEM you can get with NOS stuff from people's hoards.

Last edited:
October bump. Just found a NOS soft top ambulance door handle on eBay from Indonesia, reminded me of this thread

What about NOS roof?
seems like most of the parts you have found are common between shorty and troopy.

Thomas,

I suspect you need to specify either the floor with the inside or underside gas tank, as well as the fixed dash, or the removeable dash panel style. There are/were several loose 45 frames up in Frazier Park, CALIF for a long time, but not new, to complete a project.

Finding a NOS OEM roof panel probably pretty difficult as storage for 40-50 years takes up a lot of space for other uses. Your success so far is encouraging. Wow, a new Troopy !

Thomas,

I suspect you need to specify either the floor with the inside or underside gas tank, as well as the fixed dash, or the removeable dash panel style. There are/were several loose 45 frames up in Frazier Park, CALIF for a long time, but not new, to complete a project.

Finding a NOS OEM roof panel probably pretty difficult as storage for 40-50 years takes up a lot of space for other uses. Your success so far is encouraging. Wow, a new Troopy !
Roof is a available. Interestingly, they came with headliner.

What about NOS roof?
seems like most of the parts you have found are common between shorty and troopy.

By model designation (HJ47RV-KCQ), my troopy was a hard top, but it was one of the 220 or so that were ordered by the Australian Army, the "NorForce" cruisers. As such it is often described as a factory soft top troopy, though there is nothing I've been able to find to suggest that Toyota ever designated such a thing as an HJ47R-KC. In any case, options are always liberating, why not both options, hard top and soft top, eh?

You are right, each of the bits I have acquired thus far has been common (I think) across SWB, MWB and LWB (pickup, ute and troopy). The vent panels and A/B pillars are designated as LHD, though I've yet to determine the differences between them and those on my RHD truck.

I also have the NOS late model dash for LHD.

🤔

Thomas,

My truck is an '83, with the late model dash and the gas tank under the floor (outside of the cab).

Roof is a available. Interestingly, they came with headliner.

Another day, another way to amaze me, Amir!

Interesting Amir--another piece of the puzzle. I hope Thomas can complete his goal.

I may have to tell my wife that we will not be able to send the children to college when the time comes, since I will have depleted all available resources building a "brand new" 1983 Toyota Landcruiser.

I wouldn’t mind a new roof panel, are they really available?
Yes, they are, Brian. Very bulky to ship though.

Brian and I have experience shipping bulky items back and forth to each other, perhaps we can get a volume discount on the shipping, @whitey45 ;)

By model designation (HJ47RV-KCQ), my troopy was a hard top, but it was one of the 220 or so that were ordered by the Australian Army, the "NorForce" cruisers. As such it is often described as a factory soft top troopy, though there is nothing I've been able to find to suggest that Toyota ever designated such a thing as an HJ47R-KC. In any case, options are always liberating, why not both options, hard top and soft top, eh?

You are right, each of the bits I have acquired thus far has been common (I think) across SWB, MWB and LWB (pickup, ute and troopy). The vent panels and A/B pillars are designated as LHD, though I've yet to determine the differences between them and those on my RHD truck.

🤔

My truck is an '83, with the late model dash and the gas tank under the floor (outside of the cab).

Another day, another way to amaze me, Amir!

I may have to tell my wife that we will not be able to send the children to college when the time comes, since I will have depleted all available resources building a "brand new" 1983 Toyota Landcruiser.

Brian and I have experience shipping bulky items back and forth to each other, perhaps we can get a volume discount on the shipping, @whitey45 ;)
Great stuff, Thomas! Norforce troopy were ordered by the Norforce (part of Australian Army) to patrol the northern parts of Australia - there were 215 of them. You made a good score! I’d like to put my hands on one, one day. I have a 1978 troopy soft top as well.
You’ll be amazed of the parts that are still available for these old girls (apart from the ones which are still available from Toyota).
Are you building another troopy or changing the softtop to hardtop?

Norforce trucks were actually fitted out as soft tops from the factory (I think due to the order soecs. The military then further modded them to elevate the roof with the added panel, and raise the lights, etc... Unless yours have been looted, it will still have all the OEM soft top brackets bolted into it, just a bit under the added body piece. Beyond that, I don't think they offered a soft top troopy in Australia as late as the 47's. Only the earlier troopies.

Depending on the details of the NOS roof, I could be interested in one too! Are we talking just the fiberglass cap, or possibly even the side panels & such too?

not NOS but I have a complete OEM troopy soft too, and I also have twoNOS side steps (the type with the vinyl on them). Stuff is hard to find, but out there!

Thanks,

I too would be interested in potential body parts for an 84 troopy. New engine tranny this winter. Once that’s done I would love to collect replacement body parts for the other build. Throw my name in hat for roof if we can ever get it done!!

Great stuff, Thomas! Norforce troopy were ordered by the Norforce (part of Australian Army) to patrol the northern parts of Australia - there were 215 of them. You made a good score! I’d like to put my hands on one, one day. I have a 1978 troopy soft top as well.
You’ll be amazed of the parts that are still available for these old girls (apart from the ones which are still available from Toyota).
Are you building another troopy or changing the softtop to hardtop?

I’m mostly just dreaming. I was in an accident in my Troopy almost ten years ago. @65swb45 did a bunch of good accident repair to get me back on the road but I haven’t driven it much over the years—I always seem to have had other priorities, competing for attention and funds. But I do want to drive it and get out and enjoy it, and I know one of the things that would make my wife happier is if it was in a bit better shape.

To that end I bought some new fenders, and aprons. And soon I found myself looking all over for panels. Im not seriously entertaining an effort to build a NOS Troopy, though I take your point, Amir, it’s surprising how close to possible it might be with effort and lots of $$$.

I’m looking to have my current truck setup as it would have been pre-Army modifications as a FST, with ambulance doors in back. I’m thinking of the body as being work much closer on the spectrum to “accident repair” than to “Concours restoration.”

I am at least the third owner after the Army, and many of the modifications made by the Army were gone before I got the truck—all of the blackout lights, extra alternator and battery setup for the radios, etc. were gone, the snorkel was mostly missing, it had been painted light blue, and after the accident the bull bar was crushed from the side and the old soft top torn up.

There’s a thread with brochures that @JohnnyC started which has, I think, a 1983 brochure with a yellow soft top Troopy. That, and an old advertisement from SOR that has a red FST Troopy are my inspirations. [I kick myself, for that pic was a part of an ad where they were selling an OEM FST Troopy canvas top back in the mid-oughts for about $1200. No regerts, though, right?]

Sorry, that’s a long-winded answer to a short question. I must be feeling reflective tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom