Last years Cheers and Jeers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got a slideout for my fridge the other day. I never really thought one was necessary, especially after seeing the prices...

:eek:

I'm a bit more old school but the new Kifaru Tipi with a folding wood stove worked great last fall. The whole package weighs ~12 lbs and will fit in a very small duffel. Plus the Big Agnes inflatable pad has changed my life when sleeping on the ground. You have to be careful as they puncture easy but it feels like I'm at the Hilton when my head hits the pillow.
IMG_0600.JPG

I'm a bit more old school but the new Kifaru Tipi with a folding wood stove worked great last fall. The whole package weighs ~12 lbs and will fit in a very small duffel. Plus the Big Agnes inflatable pad has changed my life when sleeping on the ground. You have to be careful as they puncture easy but it feels like I'm at the Hilton when my head hits the pillow. View attachment 1412950
I really like the idea of a center pole tent. Unfortunately most places I camp you would never get that many stakes in the ground on account of the rocks.

So a sleeping pad update.

I sold my Alps Mountaineering XL (77"x30"x3") to a coworker for about my cost....he seemed to really like it. Truth be told, the surface was slippery and I sort of don't like that. I have a Big Agnes Double Z air mattress which is really comfortable for packing, aside from having to blow it up and having patched about 10 holes in it so far. I think that a 4-inch-thick pad is my speed for a side-sleeper (who used to use those 3/8" thick pads)

I had my eye on an Exped MegaMat 10.

Exped MegaMat 10 Sleeping Pad - REI Garage

This is thing is not a sleeping pad, it is a freaking mattress.......and it rolls up to a bit bigger than the Alps.
So you b*stards almost cost me $325. This pad looks like what I'd like if I car camped without the wife (which I don't typically do). It's the warmest option I've found, too. Told the wife I was going to get one (figuring she'd be happy to use any of her $$$$ ultralight backpacking pads that she always raves about). She says might as well get two and we can stop using the futon mattress that's a pain to load into the 3-person tent. Capital idea, says I; absolutely brilliant! Just lemme check the specs again. Turns out it's 6" wider (with 2 of them) than our futon is. Also a few inches longer since I chopped the futon a little. Hmm, that won't leave much room in the tent for our next dog, who's still unknown breed choice seems to be increasing in size from 25lbs to 80lbs+ as of late. On what's essentially 2 air mattresses. Granted it would be nice not working around the futon when loading the truck, instead just grabbing the 2 rolled MegaMats. And also it would allow more room for the TBD canine in the truck. But, alas, I decided against spending that much money simply to augment our current selection of pads, futon and assorted air mattresses. But I still want one. Only one. (and I know Exped makes a double sized MegaMat...not gonna happen).

So, to those of you that have the Megamat: Am I right in fearing holes caused by dog nails? That's really my biggest fear, not the money.

My other option would be to get 2 of them AND a new tent that can conveniently be bought large enough to stand up in. This is my real, though highly impractical and unlikely, goal.

So you b*stards almost cost me $325. This pad looks like what I'd like if I car camped without the wife (which I don't typically do). It's the warmest option I've found, too. Told the wife I was going to get one (figuring she'd be happy to use any of her $$$$ ultralight backpacking pads that she always raves about). She says might as well get two and we can stop using the futon mattress that's a pain to load into the 3-person tent. Capital idea, says I; absolutely brilliant! Just lemme check the specs again. Turns out it's 6" wider (with 2 of them) than our futon is. Also a few inches longer since I chopped the futon a little. Hmm, that won't leave much room in the tent for our next dog, who's still unknown breed choice seems to be increasing in size from 25lbs to 80lbs+ as of late. On what's essentially 2 air mattresses. Granted it would be nice not working around the futon when loading the truck, instead just grabbing the 2 rolled MegaMats. And also it would allow more room for the TBD canine in the truck. But, alas, I decided against spending that much money simply to augment our current selection of pads, futon and assorted air mattresses. But I still want one. Only one. (and I know Exped makes a double sized MegaMat...not gonna happen).

So, to those of you that have the Megamat: Am I right in fearing holes caused by dog nails? That's really my biggest fear, not the money.

My other option would be to get 2 of them AND a new tent that can conveniently be bought large enough to stand up in. This is my real, though highly impractical and unlikely, goal.

The fabric is more durable than an air mattress. But I wouldn't want Fido running around on it. I can say it is damn comfortable.

The fabric is more durable than an air mattress. But I wouldn't want Fido running around on it. I can say it is damn comfortable.
We have two of the mega mats we put together to form a queen mattress for the past three years. As mentioned by everyone who has slept on them they are incredible. We have a 65lb Malinois who sleeps in the tent as well and have never had an issue with her and the mats. We always have a fitted sheet over the mats that helps protect them from dog nails, but the fabric is very durable on its own. The mats come with a patch kit as well if you ever have a puncture.

Thanks, folks. @landlexus I think I'm back at the point where I can't have anything other than a GSD or Malinois. Trying to want a smaller dog but just can't wrap my head around it.
Get a Standard Poodle, the look of a small dog the size and attitude of a real dog.

Poodle-Retrieves-Mallard.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom