Large drop in fuel economy after extras fitted (100 series V8 year 2000) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All
I am new here, just trying to figure something out and wondering if anyone can help. I have recently had some attachments put on my cruiser (100 series V8 year 2000) these include bull bar, dual battery system, aux fuel tank, roof rack and snorkel. I know that my fuel economy would drop to some degree after all of this BUT it seems to have dropped more than I thought it would and I wanted to check if it sounded normal.

I was getting roughly 6.5 km per L but am now getting about 4.5-4.8 km per L (motor way driving)

Does this seem normal or does it seen a bit steep? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, yes that it totally normal and well whats to be expected. You added half your truck in weight to your truck.
So now you are trying to move half of another Land Cruiser with the same engine. Add things that change the aerodynamics and you reduce fuel economy. Add weight and you reduce fuel economy. Aggressive tires reduce fuel economy. Even driving with your windows down or the sunroof open reduces fuel economy.

OK thanks for the replies, I thought so, just wasnt sure if that was too much, as you say its to be expected especially with a V8! Good job I have a roof rack to load up with Jerry cans!!!

If you adjust your driving habits you can gain some of it back, but not all of it.
Slowing down on the motorway and using the cruise control everywhere you can will gaini you the most.
And don't carry things on the roof unless you need them for that trip.

You added weight, and hurt aerodynamics, totally expected. There’s not much you can do about weight in terms of driving style. Putting the front bar on, any lift, roof rack, all hurt aerodynamics, and aerodynamic resistance goes up exponentially with your speed. In other words, reduce your highway speeds, that’s really pretty much all you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom