LANDTANK rear bolt on tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am still interested in the third unit. Best

Not a problem, I'll start one then.

Sorry if I missed the obvious, but will these come fully assembled (welded together) ready to bolt on? Second question is whether you could swap the side of the tire...or "mirror" the tire carrier to the other side. I am Very interested in this and would like to know the price point too!

Mine will be fully welded together but shipped in pieces requiring some final assembly.

This saves a substantial amount in shipping costs

At this time the jigs are for left side only.

The first production unit should ship to me next week.

Of course you are. Otherwise you would have started your own build thread.

Nice attempt at a hijack Rifleman, but from the looks of your build compared to Landtank’s, you have a LONG way to go in regards to “build quality”.

I finally got a beta unit for final evaluation and to work out any kinks in the design, which were a few but small ones.

Nice work Landtank, but I have a question ? Why do you have it on the driver side ?
IMHO, I would prefer it to be on the passenger's side swinging out to the right, for me it make more sense as it is the driver, 99% of the time, that needs to access the rear for whatever, recovery gear, food, beer, dogs, etc. Also if you were to get something from the rear, in case of an emergency, that open tire carrier would be an obstacle you have to go around and perhaps a hazard if you do a quick move. It seems that one of the disadvantages, if many exist, would be the line of sight of passenger's side view mirror with the 35" bulging a bit beyond the body of the vehicle wouldn't give you good vision on that blind area. Anyway, keep up the good work.

the reason for me to have it on the drivers side is for ease of access when parked on the side of the road. If you are parallel parked with someone behind you and you open the swing out on the right side of the truck you are blocking access to the curb.

I am considering making a cooler swing out for the right side which would also restrict access but not as much as a tire carrier would.

Nice attempt at a hijack Rifleman, but from the looks of your build compared to Landtank’s, you have a LONG way to go in regards to “build quality”.

This is a bit uncalled for in my opinion, his design looks perfectly sturdy it’s just that it’s bare metal.

I get supporting vendors but I don’t get why everyone acts like just because some guy comes up with a good design, that it’s impossible to make something different that works just as well. It also seems like as soon as anyone on this forum comes up with a good design they just start selling it, and you have to dig around the forum / wait, pay a crapload, etc... for the privelage of buying it. This forum is especially cult-y when it comes to this stuff and it’s sucks that people doing their own thing get s*** on.

This is a bit uncalled for in my opinion, his design looks perfectly sturdy it’s just that it’s bare metal.

I get supporting vendors but I don’t get why everyone acts like just because some guy comes up with a good design, that it’s impossible to make something different that works just as well. It also seems like as soon as anyone on this forum comes up with a good design they just start selling it, and you have to dig around the forum / wait, pay a crapload, etc... for the privelage of buying it. This forum is especially cult-y when it comes to this stuff and it’s sucks that people doing their own thing get s*** on.

For me it's about etiquette and common decency. I design and have things built that I want. Over the years others have wanted those as well in which case I offer them to them usually through a forum supporting vendor. But coming into someone's thread and basically taking a big dump showcasing how you basically knocked off their ideas and design and how you can make it cheaper is lacking in those regards.

And this happens all too often and has resulted in some very good products being discontinued for those reasons.

So if what you see sparks some ideas of your own and you want to act on them go right ahead. But have a little class and show some respect. Start your own thread.

Landtank, I'm sorry if you feel I've violated your etiquette standards, or sense of common decency, because that was not my intent at all, so i hope you'll accept my apology for offending you. I hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your Easter Sunday.

I respect your opinion, but in my eyes, Landtank started a post to highlight a build/potential product of his, and Rifleman plops a post in here with HIS build. To me this is like trying to “undercut” a competitor, and that is NOT what ‘mud stands for. Have a great day!

Very nice setup @landtank! I recently procured a fridge so now my tire is back underneath. Looking to get a swinger in the future. After the initial 3 are produced, do you have a timeline for additional production?

so time for another update.

Drove out to Cruise Moab with the carrier on and ran a bunch of trails. I didn't have my high lift mounted as it needs to be serviced and I'd rather not have it than be tempted to use it in it's current condition.

Overall performance was great but a few things did show up.

The major one is that the position of the CB tab is not usable or at least easilly used. I've redesigned the index plat and the new location will be on the lower fixed arm instead of the swing out. This actually works well as the cabling doesn't have to travel with the arm causing posible problems.

The rubber bumper was too soft and I've already sourced a replacement.

Realizing the benefit of the cabling being on the fixed arm I'm going to move the license plate light to the fixed arm as well.

People asked for a rear view the bumper corners on the truck so here it is.

rear carrier view.jpg

It might add an ounce of weight, but what about extending the back plate to utilize/cover all four pintle mount bolt holes.
If someone wanted to drill out the remaining two holes, from the plate, you would have a flat mounting surface for the pintle hook area.
Just a thought. Otherwise it looks awesome.

I didnt utilize all 4 pintle holes because i wanted to leave the other side open for a possible right side swingout. That plate is 3/8" thick and a simple drilled plate could be used to shim out the other side if you wanted to use a pintle.

If its something people would want i can put together a kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom