LandCruiser Mechanics on Vancouver Island? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1995 turbo diesel 80 Series, and I’m having a very difficult time finding someone to work on it (idle speed/air con - nothing too major). Any help / names / numbers would be very much appreciated!

I'll fix anything for $125 an hour.

For mid island you could try coombs country autos. They work on JDMs and are an honest shop. Had them do some work on my hilux back in the day and it went well.

@REDREEFER is not far in Chemainus, but not sure how busy he is. In Ladysmith there is a guy with a shop called
Flying Pistons who is familiar with Toyota diesels somewhat but I'm not sure how he is really. As GTSSportcoupe
said we are all our own mechanics. Are you mechanically inclined at all? Or just rather have someone else
take care of it. Up on the header you can see RESOURCES ^^^^, all the engine manuals are there online for
you to download if you want. I'm in Ladysmith, so if you are around drop me a pm we can grab a coffee. I'm
pretty partial to Serious Coffee downtown. J

I do almost all my own wrenching. Unfortunately, my budget isn't unlimited and I am almost always disappointed by the works other people do. It's one of the problems of being mechanically inclined and having very high standards. Although usually its not my high standards that lead me to be disapointed... I just have terrible luck when I pay for any work to be done.

Can't help you too much on diesel Toyota's. When I needed to fix the rear A/C on my Ambo, I replaced all of the faulty A/C lines, the A/C compressor & dryer, and brought it to Searl's Automotive.

Searl's pressure tested the system, and then charged it. They contacted me when they found the fan clutch was marginal and asked me how I wanted to proceed. I replaced the water pump, fan clutch, water lines, serpentine belt, and refilled the cooling system. After I repaired the cooling system they I brought it back and they finished the job.

Six years later the A/C system is still working great, and I feel they did good work and for a fair price.

Right next to a selection of hammers. :lol:

I don't know of anyone in Nanaimo itself, but a friend of mine also used Coombs and was good with it.

Coombs isn't that far from Nanaimo.
Yeah, and I’ve been there before. But I can’t get anyone to return an email or phone call. Maybe out of business now?

For mid island you could try coombs country autos. They work on JDMs and are an honest shop. Had them do some work on my hilux back in the day and it went well.
Yeah, and I’ve been there before. But I can’t get anyone to return an email or phone call. Maybe out of business now?

Ya these guys kind of only work on Delicas, that is their specialty. I called for parts and they said they do not work on Toyota and called the 1hd-t problematic engine along with the 2lte :meh:

Ya these guys kind of only work on Delicas, that is their specialty. I called for parts and they said they do not work on Toyota and called the 1hd-t problematic engine along with the 2lte :meh:
Well, so much for them then. My buddy did actually have a Delica so that kinda tracks lol

I don't have any other suggestions.

Should be right up @GTSSportCoupe alley. He probably knows more about 2lte than anyone else would ever want to.

I know the 90's vintage Toyota diesels pretty well. I've worked lots on a friend's 1HDT and know those well 1HDFT won't be that much different, as the injection systems and principles of these motors are all very similar. Even the 1HDFTE ECD system is similar to the 2LTE version, so not that hard. But I get not having time/space/tools/interest etc. Sometimes much easier just to find a trust worthy mechanic you can go to. Hope it works out for you. If not, I'm sure we could help you through the problems here if you have an interest in doing that sort of work.

Delicas are good job security for mechanics... CCA are probably just swamped with repairs.

I've been paying for the bigger items the last few years since parenthood. You could also try marigold in vic (haven't used them, a friend with a jdm patrol does I believe), Bavarian in Nanaimo (they did the clutch in my jdm hilux), or mesachie lake auto (for a logging camp style mechanic).

I had combs quote me $800 in labor for a timing belt on my hiace van and it took me 40 mins.

As for air conditioning, it probably just needs a recharge and for the high idle, I have been through many rotary injection pumps and they are super simple. probably a seal or may just have to adjust the idle?

I am in Courtenay and I have a fresh load of duct tape.

Seapotato :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom