Land Yacht's New Quirk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 1994 FZJ80 since August 2016. So far it's been running like a champ and only died on me once, but immediately restarted.

In the last month or so I've noticed while idling at a stoplight or stop sign, that every now and then the engine with slightly drop rpms and immediately come back up. The dip in rpms sends a shudder through the vehicle, but offers no other signal that it's not happy.

I searched in the 80 Series Tech section and there are so many options for an rpm drop. I'm not noticing this when the engine is under load. It accelerates just as smoothly. Once the vehicle is warm, the engine will still do this. I have the oil cap installed, which was one of the other threads in the Tech section.

This does sound like it's similar: Strange Idle Issue

Any ideas? My wife generally loves the Land Cruiser and I'm trying to convince her for Fall Crawl and another weekend trip to Western Kansas in October, but she won't be willing if she thinks the truck is going to fail (we all know it's always an option).

Thank you for your help and please let me know if there is any pertinent information that I left out.

Look for cracks in your main intake hose from air cleaner, then replace all your vacuum hoses to throttle body. Last step fuel filter.

My vote is IAC (idle air control valve) can possibly be cleaned. but air leak is a much cheaper and easier fix.

Air leak is not cheap, most expensive piece of rubber hose ever. If you need one, I have a used one that I would part with for some beer.

Last edited:
I like to approach things from the easiest to the hardest solution. That way if its the easy one i'm not out that much work. Start by doing what Kelly said and check the intake, make sure its not cracked. Then take a look about and see if any of the vacuum lines have come loose from the valve cover or under the intake manifold. How old is your PCV, does the truck do it only after its warmed up or anytime you are stopped and in gear ?

I like to approach things from the easiest to the hardest solution. That way if its the easy one i'm not out that much work. Start by doing what Kelly said and check the intake, make sure its not cracked. Then take a look about and see if any of the vacuum lines have come loose from the valve cover or under the intake manifold. How old is your PCV, does the truck do it only after its warmed up or anytime you are stopped and in gear ?

I'm assuming the PCV is as old as the vehicle (23 years old). I seem to notice it the most after it is warmed up and in gear at stoplights.

I had this issue when I first bought my 94. The intake hose was cracked and the PCV valve was clogged. I'm not sure which fixed the issue since I changed them both at the same time, but the problem went away.

Look for cracks in your main intake hose from air cleaner, then replace all your vacuum hoses to throttle body. Last step fuel filter.

I had an issue similar to what you described in Colorado a few years ago. I was getting a CEL. Texted it to Kelly and he told me to check the hose. It was cracked. Wrapped it in duct tape till I got home and purchased a new one. Problem went away with the duct tape.

I seem to have this issue intermittently as well just touch the gas pedal and it goes away. I have a plan to replace all the vacuum hose in the next year and probably the fuel filter. I happen to know that my vacuum hose is really bad, and some have disappeared :meh: still get 15 to 16 on the highway.

you want one for a 93 or 94 I think they are different from the 95-97 models EDIT after looking at them on cruiserparts they are definitely different so get one for a 93-94 lc

Last edited:
After updating to a used '93 Air Intake Hose and replacing vacuum hoses that I could reach, the stutter is still there, but it doesn't have the jarring shudder that it used to send through the whole vehicle.

Check light ever go on? Any codes?

Listen to Half K... pcv, (mike should have a used one available), fuel filter, then cap/rotor spark plugs next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom