Land Tank Caster correction plates for 2.5 inch lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Finally got my Land Tank Caster Plates installed. Pretty easy job, just a little notching involved and a couple of welds and your done! Oh and paint.
IMG_20180106_165527.jpg
IMG_20180106_155124.jpg

I just replicated this install. No issues so far and my handling is dramatically increased. Was at close to -1 caster angle with correction bushings prior to install. Removed the corrector bushings and installed all new OEM bushings. Used a harbor freight 20-ton and the wits end press kit and they popped out like butta.

Welding up the plates was pretty straight forward. Just put beads up the front side of the plates. (Someone chime in if more is needed :eek:)

I just replicated this install. No issues so far and my handling is dramatically increased. Was at close to -1 caster angle with correction bushings prior to install. Removed the corrector bushings and installed all new OEM bushings. Used a harbor freight 20-ton and the wits end press kit and they popped out like butta.

Welding up the plates was pretty straight forward. Just put beads up the front side of the plates. (Someone chime in if more is needed :eek:)

Nope, good to go

I thought the OME offset caster bushings were all that was needed for a 2.5" lift. I haven't had any issues with mine. What do these plates do that the bushings don't? Just curious to see what I might be missing. :hmm:

You get to run OEM rubber bushings, they are softer so flex and ride better and less stress on your brackets and last much longer.

Last edited:
I thought the OME offset caster bushings were all that was needed for a 2.5" lift. I haven't had any issues with mine. What do these plates do that the bushings don't? Just curious to see what I might be missing. :hmm:

As @FJsapper experienced my caster was out of spec with just the caster correction bushings. I was at 0* caster before and now that I have @landtank’s plates I’m at 2.6* with much improved road manners. Also, as @Qball said you lose the poly bushings and can return to OEM bushings with the aforementioned bennies. I like my new hg, but really like my rig with proper caster and OEM bushings. I didn’t realize how junky the ride was with caster out of whack and the poly bushings installed.

So not sure if this is a stupid question but the hole above the notch doesn't have a bolt that goes through it so your just counting on the weld to hold the plates on ? Looks like Slee and some others use the two bolt attachment set up.

So not sure if this is a stupid question but the hole above the notch doesn't have a bolt that goes through it so your just counting on the weld to hold the plates on ? Looks like Slee and some others use the two bolt attachment set up.
There are pins inside the bracket that align with the old bolt hole. The weld stabilized the plate from shear to prevent wallowing of the bolt hole over time.

CFB145F1-F42C-4233-8A1C-1DB912B4F151.png

Are the instructions for install on line anywhere so I can start planing wht I need to do? I have a set ordered. Can't wait to go back to oem bushings.

Would these plates be safe to install at home and the drive with out being welded a short distance to the welder?

Yes, totally safe to run around town with without the welds.

As @FJsapper experienced my caster was out of spec with just the caster correction bushings. I was at 0* caster before and now that I have @landtank’s plates I’m at 2.6* with much improved road manners. Also, as @Qball said you lose the poly bushings and can return to OEM bushings with the aforementioned bennies. I like my new hg, but really like my rig with proper caster and OEM bushings. I didn’t realize how junky the ride was with caster out of whack and the poly bushings installed.

Could you post your hub center to flare edge measurement?

Would these plates be safe to install at home and the drive with out being welded a short distance to the welder?
Yup. I'm uhhhhh... nevermind. (note to self weld those things someday).

Are the instructions for install on line anywhere so I can start planing wht I need to do? I have a set ordered. Can't wait to go back to oem bushings.

No, because I suck. Seriously though, the pics that Joe posts at the top is the entire process, cept for the stitch welding.

No, because I suck. Seriously though, the pics that Joe posts at the top is the entire process, cept for the stitch welding.
I see now. originally i was working on a slow connection on my phone and the pictures did not load. But now i see it.

Screenshot_2018-05-08-14-01-20-1.png

Thanks for the pics and write up!...I booked marked this page because caster plate on the way ;)

Could you post your hub center to flare edge measurement?

Hope I'm not in trouble...

Rough measurements are 22 1/2" left side and 23 1/4" right side. Not sure if it matters, but as you can see my truck doesn't sit quite level even with the springs swapped side to side. If you need more exact #'s I can head out in the daylight tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom