Land Cruiser 200 audio receiver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi There,

Looking to replace the factory audio unit on my 2016 LC 200. I’ve found a couple of threads on this, but the units referenced appear to be sold out.

I’m open to replacing the whole front unit (ie heating and cooling controls), and would like the following:

Wireless Apple airplay
Integration into cameras
Ability to use headset monitors and listen to music at the same time

What would folks suggest? Thanks in advance!

I personally would just get a GROM CarPlay unit. I know lots of people here run them, but I think a cheap Android head unit with a bad copy of the Tesla interface from 10 years ago is a downgrade.

Thanks super helpful. Agreed, if i were to do a new head unit, I’d want it to be a reputable brand. That said when searching crutchfield and other sites I’m coming up empty handed. Any other solutions outside of a Chinese knock off or grom?

Thanks super helpful. Agreed, if i were to do a new head unit, I’d want it to be a reputable brand. That said when searching crutchfield and other sites I’m coming up empty handed. Any other solutions outside of a Chinese knock off or grom?
Not without doing a bunch of part swapping to ROW controls where a non integrated head unit was available.

Thread '2011 Cruiser Non-Nav- Never seen one before'
2011 Cruiser Non-Nav- Never seen one before - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2011-cruiser-non-nav-never-seen-one-before.988524/

Not sure if there are 2016+ versions, but id assume so.

I also second a Grom or similar. One big bonus of a Grom is that if it fails, everything else still works, so you maintain reliability for your HVAC and other audio functions. The Grom works by watching the Canbus and then hijacking the screen when it is called on. If it fails, it just never hijacks the system.

Does anyone know if the 2019+ have airplay? For some reason I thought they did… wondering if I could swap out units

Does anyone know if the 2019+ have airplay? For some reason I thought they did… wondering if I could swap

Do you mean CarPlay? AFAIK, no 200s have Android Auto or CarPlay. I suspect they do not have Airplay either, since I think that’s a WiFi tech.

No 200 series comes from the factory with CarPlay.

Having actually lived with one of the “cheap Chinese knockoff Tesla units” for more than a year now, I would not want to go back to the OEM unit with or without a Grom type unit (and I had tried EC Offroad’s equivalent first). The Tesla style unit is a huge upgrade. It took some tweaking to get it to work well, including installing Sergey’s custom firmware, but it has worked extremely well for me.

No 200 series comes from the factory with CarPlay.

Having actually lived with one of the “cheap Chinese knockoff Tesla units” for more than a year now, I would not want to go back to the OEM unit with or without a Grom type unit (and I had tried EC Offroad’s equivalent first). The Tesla style unit is a huge upgrade. It took some tweaking to get it to work well, including installing Sergey’s custom firmware, but it has worked extremely well for me.
Could you please share a link to the unit you have and info on the sergey update

Does it integrate with the head monitors in the back seat and the steering wheel display?

Could you please share a link to the unit you have and info on the sergey update

Does it integrate with the head monitors in the back seat and the steering wheel display?
The specific unit I bought has been discontinued and replaced by a newer unit that also runs a newer version of Android OS, but the following thread covers install and usage of the unit I went with in a lot of detail:

I'm not sure if Sergey has custom firmware out for the newer units yet. I have heard that the newer units tend to work better out of the box, so they may not need as much "help" to make them reliable. I wouldn't expect to simply install ANY of the Android options and not have to spend some time tweaking them especially if you want to use anything beyond CarPlay / Android Auto. But once I got it set up the way I want, it has been very reliable so far and is a HUGE improvement over the stock infotainment system. YMMV, of course.

The specific unit I bought has been discontinued and replaced by a newer unit that also runs a newer version of Android OS, but the following thread covers install and usage of the unit I went with in a lot of detail:

I'm not sure if Sergey has custom firmware out for the newer units yet. I have heard that the newer units tend to work better out of the box, so they may not need as much "help" to make them reliable. I wouldn't expect to simply install ANY of the Android options and not have to spend some time tweaking them especially if you want to use anything beyond CarPlay / Android Auto. But once I got it set up the way I want, it has been very reliable so far and is a HUGE improvement over the stock infotainment system. YMMV, of course.
Thanks! Do your rear headset monitors and steering wheel monitor integrate?

Thanks! Do your rear headset monitors and steering wheel monitor integrate?
I don't have rear headset displays because I've got a 2020 HE. My understanding is that you can get them to work, at least in a limited capacity, but I don't believe they'll be fully independent from the main display. Since I don't have kids, rarely have more than 1 passenger, and don't have the displays this isn't something I was even remotely concerned about.

I'm not sure what you're looking for from the steering wheel monitor as I don't recall much from the factory infotainment showing up on it given how long ago I switched (maybe some limited navigation and song info?), but nothing from the aftermarket head unit shows up on the steering wheel monitor. The steering wheel buttons do work with it though and can be customized to do what you want.

I’ve tried searching and can’t locate a link to the newer unit. If possible could you share? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom