KZJ78W Questions from a Newb (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTV

Threads
G'day folks.
So I just won an auction on a 95 Prado SX Wide after many many failed attempts. I'll save you the time of asking why I didn't go with the 4.2... I couldn't afford it.
Knowing that when it gets to Canada, at minimum I'll have to put new rubber on it as it doesn't meet the three dot system we have here.
Since I'm going to have to put new rubber on it right away, should I look at putting a slight lift on it and avoid having to re-rubber afterwards?
I probably won't be doing any serious off roading or crazy crawling, mostly heading up to a few remote ski resorts here on Vancouver Island, and getting off the beaten path to get some salmon on the fly. Can the 3.0 handle 33's without losing too much power?
On top of the off road practicality of the lift, I do love the look of the SX wide's with slightly bigger rubber and a bit higher off the ground.
Recommendations on rubber size, all knowing brethren?
Ohh, and feel free to throw any other tidbits my way.
Mucho appreciate-o.

PHOTO-2022-02-09-17-01-02.jpg

PHOTO-2022-02-09-16-55-34.jpg

Looks absolutely fantastic.
Who makes the tire? Will they mount on a 15x7 wheel?
What mods? Custom intercooler, or did you go with the larger exhaust etc...
Toyo M/T and yes they will mount on a 15x7 wheel. I have both a front mount intercooler and a 3" exhaust from the turbo back.

G'day folks.
So I just won an auction on a 95 Prado SX Wide after many many failed attempts. I'll save you the time of asking why I didn't go with the 4.2... I couldn't afford it.
Knowing that when it gets to Canada, at minimum I'll have to put new rubber on it as it doesn't meet the three dot system we have here.
Since I'm going to have to put new rubber on it right away, should I look at putting a slight lift on it and avoid having to re-rubber afterwards?
I probably won't be doing any serious off roading or crazy crawling, mostly heading up to a few remote ski resorts here on Vancouver Island, and getting off the beaten path to get some salmon on the fly. Can the 3.0 handle 33's without losing too much power?
On top of the off road practicality of the lift, I do love the look of the SX wide's with slightly bigger rubber and a bit higher off the ground.
Recommendations on rubber size, all knowing brethren?
Ohh, and feel free to throw any other tidbits my way.
Mucho appreciate-o.

View attachment 2926208

View attachment 2926209
20220328_145115.jpg
This is mine on 33's with a 3.0 motor Haven't driven it yet as it needs the timing belt ,waterpump done and the crankshaft position sensor as it is running rough - doing the work this coming weekend and can tell you after its running down the road - how she handles with the 33's
20220328_145115.jpg

View attachment 2974973This is mine on 33's with a 3.0 motor Haven't driven it yet as it needs the timing belt ,waterpump done and the crankshaft position sensor as it is running rough - doing the work this coming weekend and can tell you after its running down the road - how she handles with the 33'sView attachment 2974973
Really, really great looking rig you have there.
What wheel/tire combo are you running? 33x12.5, on 16x8? Running the stock -22'ish offset? Or have you gone wider? Looks amazing the way it fills out the wheel arches.
My delivery date got pushed back, and then pushed back again, so I have been torturing myself with wheel and tire options. Mine is coming with the 15x7 wheels, so the widest tire I can get on there in a 33'ish size is 10.5. They apparently perform well, but I don't like the empty looking wheel arch they tend to leave, so I'm getting new wheels to give myself more tire options. I have thought about running some spacers, but have heard that they wear the bearings and other components. So far I'm leaning towards Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels, with Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's.
2.5 inch lift? Who made it? With Dobinsons being back ordered, I have been looking at other options, but keep coming back to them. They're not cheap (the IMS set), but all the reviews I have read are positive.
Thanks for the message, and please keep me posted on how things shape up.
B

33x10.5 are the perfect size tire for these trucks. You need a very aggressive offset for 12.5 not to rub. And there are benefits to a skinnier tire if you’re actually using it off road. It also looks very good.

D28136AA-A698-49DF-82A6-211A7CC0B287.jpeg

33x10.5 are the perfect size tire for these trucks. You need a very aggressive offset for 12.5 not to rub. And there are benefits to a skinnier tire if you’re actually using it off road. It also looks very good.

View attachment 2975212
In my relatively uneducated opinion, the 10.5's look great on your rig because of the narrower fenders. With the wider fenders that are on our rigs, I think they'd sit a bit too far inside for my liking.
Yours looks pretty perfect to me.
B

Really, really great looking rig you have there.
What wheel/tire combo are you running? 33x12.5, on 16x8? Running the stock -22'ish offset? Or have you gone wider? Looks amazing the way it fills out the wheel arches.
My delivery date got pushed back, and then pushed back again, so I have been torturing myself with wheel and tire options. Mine is coming with the 15x7 wheels, so the widest tire I can get on there in a 33'ish size is 10.5. They apparently perform well, but I don't like the empty looking wheel arch they tend to leave, so I'm getting new wheels to give myself more tire options. I have thought about running some spacers, but have heard that they wear the bearings and other components. So far I'm leaning towards Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels, with Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's.
2.5 inch lift? Who made it? With Dobinsons being back ordered, I have been looking at other options, but keep coming back to them. They're not cheap (the IMS set), but all the reviews I have read are positive.
Thanks for the message, and please keep me posted on how things shape up.
B
33x12.5x15 - i just got this a month ago and have been waiting for the title so i can get plates on it and drive it - its lifted not sure of the specs - didnt get alot of info from my import guy

View attachment 2975212
Does anyone have photos of a KZJ sporting the 10.5 wide tires but on a Prado that had the fender flares? The one above looks great as do the photos of the 12.5s elsewhere. My KZJ is running 12.5s right now and looks great, but I need to replace the tires anyway and am worried the 10.5s would look too skinny given I have the wider fender flares unlike the one above.

Last edited:
Yes, you have a good plan. I've ordered a 2.75" downpipe from Kaiapoi and plan for a snorkel install. I have installed a Dobinsons front bumper for winch mount and front end protection. Lift is a no brainer, getting the right wheel/tire combo nailed down is on my short list. I am sure you will love the thing, get a build thread started as soon as you get it, love to see your progress as well.
Hey Hey!
How is your build coming along?
Did you get your new tires on yet?
Happy with the lift still?
Fill me in, as mine has been delayed and won't be arriving until mid May now...
I'm living through you!
Ha

Hey Hey!
How is your build coming along?
Did you get your new tires on yet?
Happy with the lift still?
Fill me in, as mine has been delayed and won't be arriving until mid May now...
I'm living through you!
Ha
Yes, I have tons of updates in my build thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom