KZJ78 Right Side Sagging? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I have an issue regarding my 1994 KZJ78 and wondering if you guys can give me any pointers/diagnose what's wrong. I upgraded the ancient aftermarket suspension to a Dobinson's 2" kit and afterwards I noticed that the driver's side on my rig is a bit lower than the left hand side. It wasnt like that when the previous suspension was on there but once I noticed it bothered me lol the front, right fender is about 1" shorter than the left side and the right rear is about 1.5" shorter than the left side. Is the shocks/springs causing this? I have played with the suspension trying to adjust the screws on the shocks at different levels but I know that won't have much to do with the ride height. I am not sure what could be the cause, is this a caster issue? any information will be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Sideways.jpg

Usually the Dobinson kits have taller springs meant to go on the right side to correct for 'toyota lean'. Are you sure the springs were put in the right sides?

Changing shock damping is not going to fix the lean issue. Make sure the damping rate is the same on each side. Basically, you don't want a jarring ride, and you don't want to be bouncing down the road. Find a setting in between. It will depend on load weight.

The driver weight, t-case and drive shafts add more weight to the right side of the truck. I think this is part of the reason they lean to the right.

The lean does seem to get more noticeable with a lift. Not sure if the panhard bars add to the problem? You can buy adjustable ones....

Oh man so I will have to bust out my spring compression kit again? hahaha I did see that when they were new the springs were labeled "right side" and "left side". I asked around and maybe it could be that I got confused and put it on the exact opposite side *smh* I will do that this weekend since at least I know what I'm doing this second time around. Thank you for letting me know about the 'toyota lean', it's the first time I hear about it

Oh man so I will have to bust out my spring compression kit again? hahaha I did see that when they were new the springs were labeled "right side" and "left side". I asked around and maybe it could be that I got confused and put it on the exact opposite side *smh* I will do that this weekend since at least I know what I'm doing this second time around. Thank you for letting me know about the 'toyota lean', it's the first time I hear about it

You don't have to use a spring compressor. Just detach sway bar ends, and loosen frame end of radius arm (bolt). Jack truck up and put jack stands under the frame. Axle will drop right down. Shock needs to be detached too of course. Be careful not to stretch flexible brake line.

I did see that when they were new the springs were labeled "right side" and "left side"

Normally Dobinsons label them A and B side, with A being drivers side.

You don't have to use a spring compressor. Just detach sway bar ends, and loosen frame end of radius arm (bolt). Jack truck up and put jack stands under the frame. Axle will drop right down. Shock needs to be detached too of course. Be careful not to stretch flexible brake line.
I read about that method but I was nervous about damaging the brake lines and don't trust myself with my track record haha I’ll still give it a try. Thank you for the advice! I’ll get it done this weekend

Yeah unfortunately most springs for our rigs will sag, mainly always the right hand side. I've had it happen with both Ironman and Dobinsons and a friend of mine had it happen with OME. I've just put spacers on the rhs to level it out, but now (since my rig got bigger and heavier 😏) the left rear is slowly sagging too. Next up I might try 80 series front coils in the rear and shortened 79 series front coils for the front (apparently they're the same diameter, just the bottom coils need to be cut)

@malteser , do you happen to know what spacers you have? I couldn't fix the sagging side and now I am out of ideas as to why it's happening.

Normally Dobinsons label them A and B side, with A being drivers side.
@Rosco I did the swap and the right hand is still sagging. I am not sure what's wrong with my rig now.
@GTSSportCoupe , do you have any other advice as to what could be causing this? I was able to swap the rear coils easily but unfortunately it didnt fix my issue

@Rosco I did the swap and the right hand is still sagging. I am not sure what's wrong with my rig now.

@GTSSportCoupe , do you have any other advice as to what could be causing this? I was able to swap the rear coils easily but unfortunately it didnt fix my issue

I weighted my LJ78 corner by corner today and it came out as follows (without me in it):

Right front: 540kg (1188lb)
Left front: 500kg (1100lb)
Right rear: 620kg (1364lb)
Left rear: 580kg (1276lb)

So basically the right front and right rear each have 90lb more on them than the left. This gets even worse when the driver gets in on the right side. To have the truck sit level, you'd need to have slightly higher rate springs on the right side. Or you could put in small spring spacers.

@malteser , do you happen to know what spacers you have? I couldn't fix the sagging side and now I am out of ideas as to why it's happening.

I manufactured them myself. Front VDJ/HDJ 76/77/79 series spacers will fit on the front, and front 80 series spacers will fit on the rear. It's easier to look for them like this if you want to purchase some.

I weighted my LJ78 corner by corner today and it came out as follows (without me in it):

Right front: 540kg (1188lb)
Left front: 500kg (1100lb)
Right rear: 620kg (1364lb)
Left rear: 580kg (1276lb)

So basically the right front and right rear each have 90lb more on them than the left. This gets even worse when the driver gets in on the right side. To have the truck sit level, you'd need to have slightly higher rate springs on the right side. Or you could put in small spring spacers.
Oh wow about 180lbs plus my 200lbs on top of that is a miracle I don’t flip the truck over lol

Thank you for the information. It helps me put things into perspective of how much added weight these things carry.

I manufactured them myself. Front VDJ/HDJ 76/77/79 series spacers will fit on the front, and front 80 series spacers will fit on the rear. It's easier to look for them like this if you want to purchase some.
Thank you! I reached out to Dobinsons to see which spacer will fit and I’ll compare prices. Sucks that I’ll have to add a spacer but I just want to see it leveled out

I reached out to Dobinsons to see which spacer will fit and I’ll compare prices. Sucks that I’ll have to add a spacer but I just want to see it leveled out

I would be asking them why their suspension is doing this. My guess is you have something like 4 passenger side springs, possibly a mistake at the factory.

I would be asking them why their suspension is doing this. My guess is you have something like 4 passenger side springs, possibly a mistake at the factory.
From the Dobinsons’ representative email:

“Almost all Toyota SUVs have a lean from the factory. It varies from 0.25" to 1" in some cars. Usually in the 80 series and older model Toyota vehicles one coil is longer than the other in the same axle, usually the driver side.

Our Dobinsons coils usually are pretty even and the maximum tolerance difference is 0.5mm. if the dobinsons coils one is longer than the other put the longer in the driver side front and rear to avoid the lean.

Why the lean develops: usually it happens because the driver weight and gas tank weight are on the same side having a constant load of almost 400lbs combined. In the 80, 100, 200 series Leans on the right and FJ Cruisers, 4Runner, Lexus GXs lean on the left.”

The lean is not noticable on RHD cars in RHD countries because they have a road camber to allow drainage of rainwater from the road. But my leaf sprung landcruisers always sat level on level surfaces.

How did this work out for you @KZJ78Sasebo ? I have a little lean on my driver side too. I am thinking about adding a spacer. Mine is a OME lift not a Dobinsons though. But I have found it.
Hello @Roastchestnuts although it did help a little bit I still have a slight lean but only when I’m driving without a passenger. Idk what is up but after chasing this lean for months I kinda just accepted it and moved on to other projects lol in a few years I’ll probably change the coils but for now I’m ok. My biggest thing was that it would sag under no weight at all when parked and that looked bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom