KZJ78 Front Brakes & Rotors (VIDEO) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure how I missed your first post in July, but great job on that video. I like how you included the caliper rebuild which a lot of people don't even try to do. I rebuilt mine when I did my brakes years ago and they still work great.

Yes, please make a video about the electric hub overhaul, I think that would be excellent and very helpful to a lot of people. The e-hubs are a mystery for most.

And these videos should work for all of the 90's 70 series landcruisers with electric hubs? I think the brakes and e-hubs are the same even for the heavy duty models?

Thank you, it's great to hear that the video came out somewhat helpful.
E-hubs should be similar for most 70-series.
I am working on a detailed video, will post as soon as I complete editing it.
Cheers!

Thank you, it's great to hear that the video came out somewhat helpful.
E-hubs should be similar for most 70-series.
I am working on a detailed video, will post as soon as I complete editing it.
Cheers!
Awesome video and great info. Do you have the part numbers for the calipers and pads? I want to assume the whole assembly is that of the 60series since they use the same rotors but...

hi
I'm new this world, I need to do a break job on my 1994 70 but the 70 series never came to the US.
I wanted to know if I can use the 1994 80 series break pads and rotors on the 70 series.

hi
I'm new this world, I need to do a break job on my 1994 70 but the 70 series never came to the US.
I wanted to know if I can use the 1994 80 series break pads and rotors on the 70 series.

No, the 80 series parts are different. I believe the KZJ78 front rotors cross to 60 series and the front calipers/pads cross to 2nd gen v6 4 runner.

Have you ever done brakes on a solid axle Toyota? The freewheel hubs need to be removed, and then the whole hub assembly off the spindle. You have to press the wheel studs out and press the rotor off the hub. You'll be half way to a front axle rebuild. You may as well buy wheel bearings, king pin bearings, front axle seal set, tons of grease, and do it all while you're in there. In fact, if you really want to do it right, try to source used 60 series spindles/hubs/freewheel assembly to install and rebuild. This will get rid of your e-hubs (which are just waiting to let you down when you need your 4x4 the most).

For future reference, here is how you find parts for your KZJ78. Look it up on Megazip: 1993 - 1996 Toyota LAND CRUISER KZJ78 OEM Parts | Japan sales region, , 910795

The, go to ToyoDIY and do a cross to North American models. ToyoDIY.com If it comes up, you can just go to your local jobber autoparts shop and order what you need. If it doesn't show up, you can order from one of the cruiser outfits in the states, or go to Partsouq, Amayama, Megazip, etc.

Also, the 1KZTE manual is out there in .pdf form, as is RM183E, which covers the rest of your vehicle. Follow the procedures to a 't' and you'll be good to go.

No, the 80 series parts are different. I believe the KZJ78 front rotors cross to 60 series and the front calipers/pads cross to 2nd gen v6 4 runner.

Have you ever done brakes on a solid axle Toyota? The freewheel hubs need to be removed, and then the whole hub assembly off the spindle. You have to press the wheel studs out and press the rotor off the hub. You'll be half way to a front axle rebuild. You may as well buy wheel bearings, king pin bearings, front axle seal set, tons of grease, and do it all while you're in there. In fact, if you really want to do it right, try to source used 60 series spindles/hubs/freewheel assembly to install and rebuild. This will get rid of your e-hubs (which are just waiting to let you down when you need your 4x4 the most).

For future reference, here is how you find parts for your KZJ78. Look it up on Megazip: 1993 - 1996 Toyota LAND CRUISER KZJ78 OEM Parts | Japan sales region, , 910795

The, go to ToyoDIY and do a cross to North American models. ToyoDIY.com If it comes up, you can just go to your local jobber autoparts shop and order what you need. If it doesn't show up, you can order from one of the cruiser outfits in the states, or go to Partsouq, Amayama, Megazip, etc.

Also, the 1KZTE manual is out there in .pdf form, as is RM183E, which covers the rest of your vehicle. Follow the procedures to a 't' and you'll be good to go.

ok good to know, im get on this and see what I can find out here on the 60 series. so I guessing the e hubs are not the best?. but no I have never work on land cruiser I always had cars like ae86 etc. this is my first. I have a 1994 Land Cruiser Prado and I would like to keep picking at your brain on the this truck so I can learn everything about it , if that's cool with you.

thank you for the info

All of this assumes the poster has a KZJ.

From the axle ball out, the '90+ HZJ77 and KZJ78 are the same....I'm pretty sure anyhow.... Actually, I think the axles shafts are the same too. Just the housing and suspension are different. Note: I'm talking only front axle here.

ok good to know, im get on this and see what I can find out here on the 60 series. so I guessing the e hubs are not the best?. but no I have never work on land cruiser I always had cars like ae86 etc. this is my first. I have a 1994 Land Cruiser Prado and I would like to keep picking at your brain on the this truck so I can learn everything about it , if that's cool with you.

thank you for the info

Search is your friend. Most everything you can think of doing to your truck has been discussed on these forums before. But if you can't find stuff, we're happy to help you out.

E-hubs are sort of a delicate thing. They rely on careful maintenance, and delicate slip-rings/brushes/motors. Most people don't have the skills to maintain them properly, so they simply stop working. Non working hubs means no power to the front wheels in 4wd (ie. you're 2wd).

From the axle ball out, the '90+ HZJ77 and KZJ78 are the same....I'm pretty sure anyhow.... Actually, I think the axles shafts are the same too. Just the housing and suspension are different. Note: I'm talking only front axle here.

Search is your friend. Most everything you can think of doing to your truck has been discussed on these forums before. But if you can't find stuff, we're happy to help you out.

E-hubs are sort of a delicate thing. They rely on careful maintenance, and delicate slip-rings/brushes/motors. Most people don't have the skills to maintain them properly, so they simply stop working. Non working hubs means no power to the front wheels in 4wd (ie. you're 2wd).

cool im keep that in mine thanks again
yeah I definitely need to learn how to maintain the e hubs then, a long many other things.

hey,

I just to say thank you for the help on the breaks, they are done . so I wanted to asking where can I get braided brake lines for the truck?

I have found that Rotors from a 60 series (available at Napa, Orielly's, etc) and brake pads from an 80 fit BUT you will have to trim off the squeak pads on two of the pads.

80 series - Bosch Quiet Cast Pads fit perfectly without trimming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom