KZJ78 1KZ-TE Alternator updgrade Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I truly need some expert advice here. I'm currently upgrading my alternator from the stock to a 130 amp, I'm just unsure about how to wire the charge cable.
Does the charge cable go directly to the battery or where is it supposed to go. I am not changing the oval plug, but I am unsure on how to wire the alternator since I have to upgrade the cables.

On the negative side I noticed the cable that goes to the block and there's on right behind it that connect the block to the frame. is this correct?

Thank you ahead of time!

First, a question, where did you get the 130 amp alternator for a 1KZ and is it internally regulated? That sounds like something I might want. Using your factory harness may not be the best way to go as it wasn't designed for the increased amperage.

I will contribute this, though it may not apply directly as I am less familiar with the electrical system on the newer cruisers. I had this issue years ago on my 1982 FJ45. The solution was to bypass the factory harness for the charge wire, my alternator was built to be a "1 wire" and I think that means it self excites, where the factory alternator would have a 12v source to kick the alternator into charging mode. I believe there are also kits available to make an alternator 1 wire. The dude that built my alternator suggested rather than wiring the positive directly to your battery, to run the charge wire to your starter positive terminal as it provided enough resistance for the alternator to kick in more reliably at a lower RPM. It worked great! Literally only 1 - 4 ga. wire was all it needed. I never had any problems with it setup that way and the increased amps was sweet for an older rig.

Last edited:
Hey. so I'm sorry for the late response,

I ordered the alternator from australia, here's the link : ANJ286HO - 1KZ-TE High Output 130A Alternator - HD Automotive - https://hdautomotive.com.au/product/anj286ho/
it actually puts out 180 amps from the test sheet I received and it still requires the oval plug for the lcs, from what I undertasnd its internally regulated.

I'm upgrading all my cables from battery to starter, using 1 gauge which should give enough tolerance for a 15% spike in amperage.

I would like to able to follow the factory wiring and run the 1 gauge all the way back to the battery, but i for sure will have to look into going to the starter and then into the battery.

let me know if I can help you and if I have any questions Ill post them as we go

i have a oem denso alternator that is rated for 150amp as how it is. 90% plug and play then the pulley is the only thing that needs to be machined for larger bore.
i would suggest run a bigger battery cable to fully utilize the alternator's performance.

If the internal regulator is doing its job, then 1ga is probably overkill. But, I like the old saying, "better safe than sorry"

I like the idea of running it to the starter first that @FJ40 that green thing gave.

I would also suggest if you do not already have one, grab a multimeter (a decent one, not that chinesium crap) and analyze what the alternator is doing so you have a better idea of what works best. At startup, idle, revving, etc.

alejoskzj78 - Since this has been several months, would you mind reporting back what worked best for you, how did things turn out? Would you recommend this alternator to others? Etc.

Thanks! :cheers:

Last edited:
If the internal regulator is doing its job, then 1ga is probably overkill. But, I like the old saying, "better safe than sorry"

I like the idea of running it to the starter first that @FJ40 that green thing gave.

I would also suggest if you do not already have one, grab a multimeter (a decent one, not that chinesium crap) and analyze what the alternator is doing so you have a better idea of what works best. At startup, idle, revving, etc.

Since this has been several months, would you mind reporting back what worked best for you, how did things turn out? Would you recommend this alternator to others? Etc.

Thanks! :cheers:
I’m using back the stock wire, not a huge performance gain, but the charging and power out put for the cars accessories have prove lots. Unless the positive wire size increases there’s no specific gains but just the charging duration. Original is 60amp I believe which is not enough.
I do recommend it as a replacement and they are old alternator that came with the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom