KO3s in 265/70R18 (Load Range D) are out. Has anyone tried them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
8
Location
Houston, TX, USA
Earlier this month the KO3 became available in 265/70R18 (~32.5") Load Range D. At 55 lbs. a tire, its nearly the same weight as the E-rated 275/65R18 KO3, but nevertheless I'm wondering if anyone has put a set on their 100-series and noted the handling and road noise, particularly compared to an E-rated or SL/XL/C-rated tire.


I'm torn between the KO3, the BFG Trail-Terrain T/A, and the Cooper Road+Trail AT, and I've been waiting for this D-rated KO3 size to become available before I pick one.
 
Last edited:
I ended up with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Ascent in 265/70R18. They've served me well so far.

IMG_2730.webp
 
Bump. PO, did you (or anyone else) get these? I'm looking at 265/70/18 and feedback on these D-rated KO3s.
I’ve been running that size/weight for my last two sets of tires — Open Country AT3s, and Nokian Outpost NAts. I’m going with 275/70/18 KO3s for my next set. My son has these on his 04LC and they ride better that the others I mentioned. Yes, they are heavier on paper but you do not feel the difference behind the wheel, in my experience, and they really ride great. The difference in weight between the 265/70 and 270/75 is only a few pounds and not worth it in my opinion — the 33” looks factory on the 100 series, all else is too small.
 
@Couvi I agree the 275/70/18 is a great size for the 100 - I'm on my 3rd set of BFG KOs in that size. But after putting a set of C-Rated KO2s - 33s - on my 2020 4Runner, I'll never run E-Rated tires on the 100 again.. and sadly, that means leaving the KO family. The E-Rated tires are just so damn harsh. My loaded 100 will never get close to 14,000 lbs.

My next tires - if these damn BFGs would ever wear out ;-) - will be C-rated 275/70/18s.
 
^^^ there are NO C-rated tires in 275/70/18, at least not the sole one that shows up on America's Tire.

I'm not getting all the love for 275/70/18 over 265/70/18.

265/70/18 seems more widely available and a few buck cheasper, although I put on low mileage so no problem spending extra $ for the 7 years my tires last.

The 0.3" ground clearance gain seems is minimal.

Rubbing, even minor, requires anything from a heat gun to a pinch weld mod (and how much more rubbing happens when you're stuffing it, or AHC auto-lowers when you're doing 80mph on the freeway??).

It's soooo much easier getting tires for my built 4th gen 4Runner, with all the C-rated availabilities! My KOs have always been great on that truck. And my LX is fairly heavier, so I'm hoping the D-rated KO3 would be substantially better ride that the E.

It's either the 50 lb. E-rated Toyo OC3 at 275/70/18. or the 55 lb. D-rated KO3 at 265/70/18. KO3 is heavier, but should have a more flexible sidewall being D and not E rated?
 
Last edited:
^^^ there are NO C-rated tires in 275/70/18, at least mot the sole one that shoes up on America's Tire.

I haven't looked in a couple months, but these were listed on Discount Tire's site. I suspect Tire Rack has a similar inventory.
Screenshot 2026-10-08 at 11.15.27 AM.webp
 
Yeah, that Goodyear Territory was the sole one I saw, and at $200 my expectation are low.
SL is two grades below C.
Interesting that the C-rated Goodyear Territory has a lower load/speed index # that the SL-rated tires.
 
@Couvi I agree the 275/70/18 is a great size for the 100 - I'm on my 3rd set of BFG KOs in that size. But after putting a set of C-Rated KO2s - 33s - on my 2020 4Runner, I'll never run E-Rated tires on the 100 again.. and sadly, that means leaving the KO family. The E-Rated tires are just so damn harsh. My loaded 100 will never get close to 14,000 lbs.

My next tires - if these damn BFGs would ever wear out ;-) - will be C-rated 275/70/18s.
Roger that. I’ve been very impressed when driving my son’s LC, both of ours are stock with a 100k mileage difference between them. The KO3s are noticeably cushier and quieter than mine. I did see a few new 275/70/18s are available in the lighter size but don’t know anyone who’s tried them yet. I don’t need all the extra plys either, but love the proportion on the 100.
 
Well...after several years of bouncing around between size and brands I decided to stick with Michelin LTX MS/2.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and this thread helped seal the deal... So I think the Michelin Defender is the perfect all-terrain tire... (For most of us) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/so-i-think-the-michelin-defender-is-the-perfect-all-terrain-tire-for-most-of-us.1319040/

As was told to me, "Land Cruiser First, Tires second", which I assume means work with the AHC, not against it, if you want to maintain the Magic Carpet ride, which I do.

Will be getting my 3rd set today, but bumping up to 265/70/18 from 275/65/18, both XL load rating.

Maybe I'll keep eyes open for a 2nd set of wheels and consider assembling a 2nd set with AT tires. I have KO3s on my slightly built 4th gen 4Runner, and two sets of KO2s before them, so will likely go with those in a 285/70/17 C-load and 17X8.5 +25mm wheels, or the same 265/70/18 and D-load range that I was looking at before I pulled the trigger on the LTX MS/2s.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom