Knuckle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who was familiar with and could be able to do a knuckle rebuild on a 1982 bj60. I would take it to a shop but im just checking my options before im forced to shell out $450 haha. I tried to do it myself a couple weeks ago, but as I got to the rotor i realized that the brake line configuration was different from videos I watched, the caliper was connected to a hard line, which connected to the backing plate for the brake rotor, which i can't for the life of me figure how to get off, and I'm not confident enough in my abilities to mess with anything to do with the brakes
I already have the knuckle rebuild kit, GL-5 oil, bearings, and knuckle grease!

So.. hard line to the back of the backing plate to a connector that has a soft line on it to the axle? ? Is this correct.. there should be a couple bolts holding the connector on to the backing plate.. then two bolts holding the caliper on... I am going to be tearing mine down do to a leaky marlin axle seal..
Usually people get stuck on not having the 54mm (if I remember the nut size right) socket for the inner nut after the locking hub..

I think those newer backing plates have the brake fitting riveted to it. pretty hard to get the caliper off if you don't disconnect the brake lines.

I much prefer the old style for this reason. You could unbolt and just swing it all out of the way and not have to deal with bleeding brakes etc.

Other than that, any vid should be about the same. Knuckles didn't change a lot from the mid 70's to early 90's

Riveted.. Been awhile since I wrenched on a 60... on the 40 I just got a longer soft line to go right from the caliper to the axle...

Riveted.. Been awhile since I wrenched on a 60... on the 40 I just got a longer soft line to go right from the caliper to the axle...

Agreed. Extend the flex line and ditch the hard line to the caliper.

I would agree that the longer flex (or soft) line is the way to go. Something long enough you can unbolt the caliper and set it on the front leaf spring out of the way for knuckle service/rebuild.

Alternately, in oz the land of ridiculous vehicle rules and plenty of them... Brake system modification is a no no punishable by canceled registration or having your insurance revoked, which would come to light only after you need it.

I removed the backing plates, drilled the rivets out, replaced them with nutserts on the brackets and used m8 bolts to put it all back together.

To the untrained Australian eye... Looks like it should but can all be unbolted without opening the brake system.

The problem is, the brake system has to be opened at least once to modify. Maybe a two banana job, always nice to have an extra set of hands (or foot) to bleed out the brakes when done. Power bleeder is a nice one man solution.

The longer flex line is the best option IMHO.

Did you ever get this sorted?

Knuckle job is the dirtiest messy job on a cruiser but not difficult. Nothing like the satisfaction of having a nice clean front end and having done it yourself. Really. Koyo bearings, Marlin inner seals, mayhaps a coat of paint on backing plates and knuckles, bit o' fresh grease/oil and you'll be styl'n.

Cheers
Crusty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom