Knowledge for Noob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New owner here of a 2001 100-series, bone stock and I aim to keep it that way. Thoughts on common things to tend to in the near term for general sprucing and daily driveability?

Loaded question without relevant info. So, depending on mileage and maintenance history: 1) replace the entire cooling system; 2) replace all of the steering and suspension components; 3) replace the ignition lock cylinder; 4) rebuild the hubs and replace the CV axles, drive flanges, and circlips; 5) squirrel away $2,500 in preparation to replace the brake booster assembly at the most inconvenient time of your life; 6) buy a YotaMD key fob case; 7) buy two more keys and 2 more YotaMD key fob cases and program at least one as a backup master key; 8) buy Chinese bootlegged copy of TechStream; 9) don't do any mods until you do all of the above.

Alternatively, just drive it until $hit starts breaking and change the oil twice a year.

You're right, bad question. Thanks for giving me the time of day anyway. I'm so new to Toyotas that I don't even know how to form an intelligent question. What I do know is that my friend's mom drove one when I was a kid, and a new generation of mom's is still driving the same ones as back then, so these trucks must be made of something special. I hope to do what I can to keep mine usable until gasoline is outlawed but don't know where to start, which is why I posed an open-ended question.

For starters, I know I've got a headache ahead fixing the moon roof. I've seen plenty of discussion here about that, and it's a luxury anyhow. Your advice about replacement YotaMD fobs is appreciated because I discovered just today that my fob is dead and the door locks are out of whack. It's at 180K now so I should also study the 90k mile maintenance thread closely. Other stuff will make itself clear in time, but hopefully only after I stash that $2500 you were talking about.

The basics are all pretty well covered in the Slee newbie guide and in the stickies here. Spend some time reading around here and you'll get a feel for it. If you approach things with an OEM or better only mindset you'll do well.

Love seeing the YotaMD recommendations. I like that suggestion. ;)

I'm so new to Toyotas that I don't even know how to form an intelligent question.
Not true. You came to MUD so you’re already a step in the right direction.
What I do know is that my friend's mom drove one when I was a kid, and a new generation of mom's is still driving the same ones as back then, so these trucks must be made of something special.
Yes, they’re made of that special sauce that lures in da womenz (MILFs?).

For starters, I know I've got a headache ahead fixing the moon roof.
It doesn’t work or it’s leaking? We very much feed off of specifics here. It’s like our Wheaties.

the door locks are out of whack
Probably the motors inside the actuators are dying. Can buy new motors on Amazon for like $10 a piece and replace the old ones.

It's at 180K now
Due for timing belt, water pump, fan bracket, etc. right now. The upcoming 200k mile mark is around the time the headaches and bank account depletion start. But push through while emptying your wallet and you won’t have to replace the entire steering, suspension, and cooling systems again for 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom