Knock sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
CEL is lit and throwing a code for the #2 knock sensor. I just installed this engine and know that the connection at the sensor is disconnected. I tried an adhesive fix that failed. I'll be replacing the sensor and repairing the wiring in the near future. Until then how will this affect engine performance? We have a long trip planned over the next several days and I'm hoping the knock sensor issue will not cause significant problems.

CEL is lit and throwing a code for the #2 knock sensor. I just installed this engine and know that the connection at the sensor is disconnected. I tried an adhesive fix that failed. I'll be replacing the sensor and repairing the wiring in the near future. Until then how will this affect engine performance? We have a long trip planned over the next several days and I'm hoping the knock sensor issue will not cause significant problems.

The ecu uses those sensors for timing. If I had to wager, I'd bet the ecu has timing tables for failed sensors that are very safe, meaning no power.

I thought maybe the ECU won't go into limp mode unless BOTH knock sensors are bad/disconnected? Not sure...

I thought maybe the ECU won't go into limp mode unless BOTH knock sensors are bad/disconnected? Not sure...
Toyotas's standard response to any situation that is less than idea is to play it ultra safe. Meaning cut timing, enrich fuel in most engine associated faults.

When the #2 sensor on my 96 FZJ80 had a broken connector I lost about 1-1 1/2 mpg and experienced decreased power, most noticeable for example staring out from a stoplight as if it lost a few hp. New sensor and everything went back to normal of course.

One update since I purchased a replacement knock sensor at O'Reillys (discussed in above link) in 2019, someone else on the forum found that the manufacturer of the new aftermarket sensor ordered from O'Reillys had changed.

FWIW

Last edited:
When the #2 sensor on my 96 FZJ80 had a broken connector I lost about 1-1 1/2 mpg and experienced decreased power, most noticeable for example staring out from a stoplight as if it lost a few hp. New sensor and everything went back to normal of course.

One update since I purchased a replacement knock sensor at O'Reillys (discussed in above link) in 2019, someone else on the forum found that the manufacturer of the new aftermarket sensor ordered from O'Reillys had changed.

FWIW

Not as if, it had. Decreased timing and increased fuel is going to severely limit power. But it's safe.

FWIW

My search did not turn up the posted thread. That's what I'm dealing with regarding the plastic connection being broken on the sensor.

Duston said: "Not as if, it had."

Of course the engine lost HP, that's the point I was making.
Don't be that guy who corrects other poster's grammer (or spelling).;)

Duston said: "Not as if, it had."

Of course the engine lost HP, that's the point I was making.
Don't be that guy who corrects other poster's grammer (or spelling).;)

I want correcting either.

My point was it's making significantly less power.

Like people install exhaust and because the car sounds different they feel like it's making power, even if it wasn't.

When a knock sensor is bad it doesn't feel slower, it is.

I never would have guessed that if a vehicle feels slower that it actually is moving slower. Learn something every day.

I never would have guessed that if a vehicle feels slower that it actually is moving slower. Learn something every day.
Well 35's make it feel slower. But it's making the same power
Swapping 4.10's for 3.55's will feel slower but make the same power.

Stop being a ****ing smart ass.

To close this out with results. With a dead #2 knock sensor the Cruiser was driveable but with dramatic decrease in power and reduction of fuel mileage. This hit immediately before a trip and we had no other option but to run with it, no local parts store had a sensor in stock. AL to N GA and on to W NC, then SE to coastal SC, back to AL across central GA for a trip total of just over 1000 miles. A combination of flat to mountainous roads and mix of interstate, state roads, to dirt FS roads. Running the interstates a speed of 65 felt best. Mileage was running around 10 mpg. Very sluggish pulling from stops and slow to reach highway speeds, felt like 2F territory.

New sensor going in later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom