Builds Kid-safe 1975 FJ40 build in Washington DC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also cleaned up an old Kennedy box and tried my hand at organization. My tarp garage was like a war zone, I’m hoping to do better. The kids and I cut some kaizen foam.

36A1C67F-64E9-48E0-8223-4B1B50CFF63F.jpeg

8C96F9F4-956C-42F5-B781-E7B87D08A9C0.jpeg

D5AF7CC9-0CE9-4F3A-B08C-01BA3D93575B.jpeg

Think it looks damn good in green...could also be close to 5PM and seeing Bourbon in the background
Thanks! The 3rd side project is actually supporting the vise - a hundred year old cabinet makers bench. It’s a bit over nine feet long and needs a bit of work to be put back into service. I’ll get to it once the cruiser is running, until then it gets to hold my bourbon.

Dropped off a bunch of parts for blasting and powder coating. Seat parts will be anodized silver and the rest gloss black. Unfortunately anodized silver is a bit brighter and more metallic than the original pewter, but it was the closest match I could find in the base price colors. If it’s not close enough, I guess I can always spray them.

Why silver and not black??

I know it’s not a stock color for 75, but I’m going with coral seats.

The covers were my first purchase for the cruiser, never imagined I would be into anything close to a restoration at that time, and just liked the look of coral. Kind of wish they were black now.

A2D2A339-94C8-41AB-885F-AB0191F72B50.jpeg

Lots of small stuff getting done while I wait for parts from the powder coater. Rebuilding the blower motor with freshly plated parts. Used synthetic Rit dye to freshen up the case, ended up ok but probably should have painted it. May replace the resistor before I’m done.

1C6B6BAC-0868-4665-A6F0-80B6FC2C0A24.jpeg

3D31B446-7E3F-4E2C-B0F5-B8C4A784EEFF.jpeg

5E04E62A-A65B-418E-B8B2-C11E0C096DFA.jpeg

Now I know I need some foam on the plated door...

What is supposed to attach to the pin on the door circled in red???

how about the clip with the arrow???

A36303D1-996E-4ABD-AB1B-8C6CB5CED624.jpeg

The end of the dash pull cable goes on the pin, the sheath of the cable snaps.in the bracket. There should be a screen/grate that covers that opening too. The cable goes thru the grate and attaches.

The end of the dash pull cable goes on the pin, the sheath of the cable snaps.in the bracket. There should be a screen/grate that covers that opening too. The cable goes thru the grate and attaches.
Thanks!! That makes sense. I have the grate, I have the dash cable too I think.

Just need to make a new knob, I’m sure I can steal something from a kids toy laying around
I was thinking of doing the same thing. If I find something that works, I'll let you know!

I was thinking of doing the same thing. If I find something that works, I'll let you know!
I’ve got to find the bungee tie backs for my old tarp garage, the had spherical black toggles on the ends that were pretty rugged and about the right size. I remember seeing some at harbor freight too.

Like these? Didn’t think of it, but this is off a hockey net shot blocker thing. Definitely could work. This one might actually be too big.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You’re making this all look easy, not knowing about cars when you started. Where did you get the hardware kit for the heater? I’m not 100% happy with mine that I redid.

also don’t know where you find the time with 3 kids, I only have 2 and I haven’t touched my 40 for a while!

You’re making this all look easy, not knowing about cars when you started. Where did you get the hardware kit for the heater? I’m not 100% happy with mine that I redid.

also don’t know where you find the time with 3 kids, I only have 2 and I haven’t touched my 40 for a while!
Thanks, it’s been a lot of fun. I know it will be a great way to spend time with the kids one day, that really makes it worthwhile for me.

as for the hardware I just cleaned the existing stuff up and replated it. For the foam I just cut some new stuff from some formed packing foam using an electric turkey carver, glued with super77.

lots of stuff back from blasting and powder coating. They went a bit overboard with the silver and some stuff I wanted black got done in silver. Some of it I will just keep silver, the rest will get redone in black at no charge.
A few of the thinner prices warped a bit, but overall looks really good for the price. 55 pieces in all, $475 total. Not sure what it usually costs, but seemed like a good deal to me.

05B3CB69-DD20-4E83-9CE1-B87CE30BBDD3.jpeg

82F67478-E501-4C96-9B01-AD7BC3CF794D.jpeg

C6931041-92AB-4E24-AB55-5023A69074A8.jpeg

Well, I had initially planned on new headers, but money is tight and I saw a guy on YouTube restore some pretty crusty chrome with elbow grease and polish, so I spent the afternoon on it. These are some before pics - really crusty, loads of rust,

9AF79628-0805-4C45-8B6C-BBE68FE8C797.png

4503597C-1F65-476B-9B72-09B1E05E077E.png

Still needs replacing, but will look good enough while I get this thing running. I am consistently amazed how well all of these parts clean up. I am kicking myself about some of the stuff I discarded at the start because I assumed it would be a lost cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom