Builds "Kiboko" - Texas family hunting/fishing adventure truck (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Truck looks great. Sunglass holder is the way to go. I use one for my controls and it's great not having extra switches visible. The fuel tank is on the list for the Gray Ghost as well. Stopping every 2 hours for fuel definitely slows a trip down but on the hand the wife likes the breaks.

On the light bar...I'm running a bajadesign white/amber combo and it took a bit of playing with the angle to get the glare off hood. I programmed switch pros to reduce output in dust and inclement weather to reduce the refraction. This last trip a few weeks ago in Keystone CO the lights performed well in snow and sleet conditions. This picture was prior to adjusting angle up a hair but glare wasn't a major issue afterwards.

20210213_204626.jpg

Truck looks great. Sunglass holder is the way to go. I use one for my controls and it's great not having extra switches visible. The fuel tank is on the list for the Gray Ghost as well. Stopping every 2 hours for fuel definitely slows a trip down but on the hand the wife likes the breaks.

On the light bar...I'm running a bajadesign white/amber combo and it took a bit of playing with the angle to get the glare off hood. I programmed switch pros to reduce output in dust and inclement weather to reduce the refraction. This last trip a few weeks ago in Keystone CO the lights performed well in snow and sleet conditions. This picture was prior to adjusting angle up a hair but glare wasn't a major issue afterwards.

View attachment 2601944
I'll text you, but would love to see your SwitchPro in the sunglasses holder in person. My biggest concern is how flimsy it feels since you are pressing keys on something not designed to be pressed against.

Looks like a fun trip. We're headed to BBNP in a couple weeks as well.
Would love to hear how it goes if you don't post elsewhere on Mud. We are camping at Ernst Basin, so let us know how that looks if you cruise past!

I'll text you, but would love to see your SwitchPro in the sunglasses holder in person. My biggest concern is how flimsy it feels since you are pressing keys on something not designed to be pressed against.
I want to come see as well!

FYI, not all lightbars have hood glare issues. I can attest that the Black Oak 40" 5watt osram combo lens had zero glare mounted on the roof rack behind the sunroof.

Would love to hear how it goes if you don't post elsewhere on Mud. We are camping at Ernst Basin, so let us know how that looks if you cruise past!

IMHO the state park blows the national park out of the water, especially when it comes to rugged trails and four wheeling. The national park is definitely worth seeing but I much prefer the state side.

State park definitely has better wheeling, and more pinstriping.

Oh yea, pin striping is a guarantee out there no matter the park, it's brutal.

Our 4Runner on it's last visit out there before we sold it.

vFYCsl5.jpg

Optimally for a 285/70R17, or 32.8" tire, offset would be approx. +45.

@TeCKis300 - Thank you for walking through the details. I’m looking at Braid Winrace S wheels and you can specify your offset. It seems the scrub ratio will be different by tire size, but does lift have an effect? The easiest tire to fit without issues is the size you mentioned above. It sounds like 285/75R17 (Ridge Grappers) also fit for most with some liner messaging. If I was targeting this larger size wheel, would 17x8 ET40 be the right size to keep the scrub radius this best?

@Chris Carrera - I’m not @TeCKis300 - but lift absolutely has an impact on scrub radius. I couldn’t visualize the scrub radius issue until someone here posted a video from a shop that does those four wheeled off-road carts that really helped me get the gist. If you can find it on here it is very helpful. For me, the short version is that as you lift the vehicle, the centerline of the wheel needs to move outward. You’d have to do the math to get the ideal offset, but on my 2.5” lift with ‘17 Tundra TRD pro rims, the 1.25” wheel spacers seem to do the job.

@TeCKis300 - Thank you for walking through the details. I’m looking at Braid Winrace S wheels and you can specify your offset. It seems the scrub ratio will be different by tire size, but does lift have an effect? The easiest tire to fit without issues is the size you mentioned above. It sounds like 285/75R17 (Ridge Grappers) also fit for most with some liner messaging. If I was targeting this larger size wheel, would 17x8 ET40 be the right size to keep the scrub radius this best?
Somewhere between 45 and 30. If you never plan to go larger than Say 33.5 or 34.5 you can calculate the exact offset. If you think you might want 35” then you’ll need to be a bit conservative and get a slightly lower value.

I’m running 35 effective offset for 35.3” tires and it’s very well mannered.

the published data points from Toyota are 60mm for 285/50r20 and 285/60r18 and 50mm for 285/70r17.

you can draw the slope based on those.

Lift does not effect wheel offset. It may be confusing as some pics depict the kingpin inclination angle through the shock, but our suspensions are double wishbone. The inclination angle is defined through the joints at the end of upper and lower control arms on the suspension upright.

What @CharlieS maybe getting at, without the right offset (or at least in the right ballpark), aggressive suspension lifts and bad alignment will play out greatly with bad handling and negative feedback.

That said, rather than perfect offset, I'd recommend an offset of +35. That'll give you room in the future if you care to step up the tire size just a bit more :)

1616976277927.png

Last edited:
Any updates or new pics on this build? I can't get enough.

Hear you on the tall tires and “push it to the limit” clearance. But as I understand it there is no downside to suspension performance or driving dynamics. Is that not the case? Would def want to know if you think otherwise.
Yes the offset is exactly why I didn’t go with 17” methods. If method made a +25 offset like they do in 18” in a 17” I would have put them on my summer set up years ago. The Method 20% military discount is pretty awesome. So I struggle on looking for a set of RWs...

Yes the offset is exactly why I didn’t go with 17” methods. If method made a +25 offset like they do in 18” in a 17” I would have put them on my summer set up years ago. The Method 20% military discount is pretty awesome. So I struggle on looking for a set of RWs...

I haven't proof of this anywhere. PM details if you don't mind.

For the military discount have to go through expertvoice. You get great access to other military discounts as well, like Zeiss :)

0BB7DC8B-25BC-4BEC-907F-584AFC3F7A57.png

Kiboko Adventures: Big Bend National Park and Mexico... briefly (April 2021)

We have had this trip planned for almost a year but a confluence of work sh*t made the timing atrocious. HOWEVER, we were going with friends who had taken off from corporate jobs and we were not going to bail last minute! Turned out to be an awesome trip and being out of cell coverage for ~3 days is just (literally) what the doctor ordered.

Wednesday we drove to Uvalde to stay halfway to the park. Great move to leave that night but Hampton Inn didn’t have a clean room when we got there (we were generously offered a dirty room!). So Holiday Inn it was. Up at 5am to finish the trek with just a quick stop at the Pecos.

939A507C-8313-449C-B9A8-F169E6663F39.jpeg

Day one we hiked to Balanced Rock and Boquillas Canyon before tackling Old Ore Road en route to our first campsite at Ernst Basin. That location is super remote and excellent, but two notes: 1) wind there is particularly strong and 2) it’s 45min moving pretty quick from the main road.

4259B6AD-57AF-4257-926F-D8C2B767BCB2.jpeg

Day two we were on the road at 5am to get a parking spot at Lost Mine Trailhead to hike the 7550ft Lost Mine Peak for sunrise. Worth it. (Note: the rigid light bar on the prinsu is perfect and I get no glare. It’s amazing.)

402B8A87-7046-4D57-BF3E-AA043463438D.jpeg

After lunch at Chisos Basin, we were off for Black Gap Road. The trail itself is not challenging at all but it’s certainly fun to drive. The abandoned mercury mine is def worth the quick hike.

735451D5-1737-41A8-B92B-1869B209CA96.jpeg

91F74961-0A7A-421D-8622-67D02A625850.jpeg

Day three was transfer day over to the West Side of the NP!

to be continued...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom