Keystone Trail Mentor Idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caz

Keystone Cruisers
Threads
Hi all,

It seems like there is a lot of interest lately from people with newer and/or stock Toyotas.

I have been thinking about how we welcome and integrate these new wheelers into our group. Taking them on the monthly ride is often too much for their vehicle and/or skill level, or inviting them forces the rest of the group do lesser trails.

What if we designated 2 or 3 of the monthly trail rides a year as beginner rides?

We could develop a short curriculum and do a 30-45 minute instructional session beforehand. We could have a set trail route that we guide the group on so we have a consistent experience, know the difficulty level and can learn from previous guiding experience.

We may be able to partner with a Toyota dealer or two since Toyota is currently pushing off-road capable vehicles.

It would be a free event, but we would encourage membership and donations to the club.

Thoughts?

Andy

Last edited:
This is a awesome idea! Definitely something I wish I had available to myself when I first started.

I like the idea of the club doing it as well.

We have a wide variety of vehicles here with different setups and members with experience andd knowledge of them all, something like that is useful in helping guide and find what the vehicle is capable of and what the individual is comfortable doing.

This sounds like a good idea to me also. It would be ideal if we got enough interest to lead two groups every month. That may be asking alot though.

I know on tacomaworld a lot of new guys or guys with relatively stock trucks are nervous to take them out. I think it's a good idea to let them know things will be alright.

Love this idea although this sentence scares me bit... “Taking them on the monthly ride is often too much for their vehicle and/or skill level”.

I haven’t been able to make one of the group trail rides since I joined because my 40 is still being built. But I would hope my stock ‘12 4Runner Trail is capable enough??? I’ve been to Rausch a handful of times and have kept it fairly tame but what kinds of crazy do you usually get into?

Love this idea although this sentence scares me bit... “Taking them on the monthly ride is often too much for their vehicle and/or skill level”.

I haven’t been able to make one of the group trail rides since I joined because my 40 is still being built. But I would hope my stock ‘12 4Runner Trail is capable enough??? I’ve been to Rausch a handful of times and have kept it fairly tame but what kinds of crazy do you usually get into?

You can come with me one time and see Steve.

@The123Super that's a bit of a exaggeration there is no reason your 4runner wouldn't do well. A generous amount of armor won't hurt though. I tend to drive by brail at times.

I like the idea Andy. While I have a newer truck, I'll bring the '97 80-series out to play. It's lifted on 31's, but nothing else at this point. I'd be in to learn the ropes without boring the more experience guys to tears.

I’m into the idea. I’m actually taking a couple of my friends that have never been off-road next Sunday at rausch.

I’m no pro by any means, but I’ve learned a ton from many of you guys on the fly. I know there is plenty more to learn as well, so I’d certainly be willing to get in on this.

I’m into the idea. I’m actually taking a couple of my friends that have never been off-road next Sunday at rausch.

I’m no pro by any means, but I’ve learned a ton from many of you guys on the fly. I know there is plenty more to learn as well, so I’d certainly be willing to get in on this.

Cool, if you think about it try to document which trails you hit and how it went.

Andy

I like this idea. It would be great to be able to keep getting some experience on the trails while continuing the build on my truck.

Great idea Andy. I led some groups on greens at the FJNE run a few years ago. It’s good to get the rigs on and stretch their legs a little, especially when they are new to the driver. Allows time to get confident w/ the machine in a relatively stress free environment IMO.

Andy this is a great idea. Over the years I've had a lot of noobies follow my various rigs over the years. Nothing more rewarding than hearing "man I had a great time". Lotsa new members in the group, too, to want to take advantage of this. Breaking a group of 8, 10, or 12 into two or three groups is always a good idea provided there are enough trail leaders. Many times when Matt Reed was still wheeling he'd end up leading a group of guys on green trails and they were always happy when they came back at the end of the day.
In my opinion Rausch offers more of the new wheeler-friendly type trails than does Anthracite although of course we still haven't scratched the surface of a lot of AAOA yet. And now that the weather should be much improving it should be plausible to perhaps schedule more than one wheeling day in particular months.
You guys who wheeled yesterday had a great day. I am so proud of this club the fact that we have 70+ members, and that we get together fairly regularly. Andy's idea at the head of this blurb and hopefully a successful tech day sometime later this year can only make it better.

Blair I'd be interested in tagging along with you at Rausch next Sunday. Keep your plans out in the open for me!

@Pacer did you see this? Another chance to use that punch pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom