Keys?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I received only one key when I purchased my 60 a few months ago, the driver door and the ignition are the same but the key will not work for the passenger door. Key is pretty worn out too. ?? Where can I get a new set of locks/ignition cylinders and new keys?? Or is this a dealer only thing. Did web search but found nothing promising??

ill bet mine will work!

are you absolutely sure that the lock for the passenger door is a different lock?

sometimes the lock tumblers in these old rigs can get pretty stuck and it'll seem like you've got the wrong key.

try spraying some liquid wrench, dry lube or other lubricating oil in the lock, and working the key around for a bit.

you might be surprised - the lock might free up.

just a thought

I got a universal Solex set. I used Solex locks on my 85 PU & 91 4Runner for years, Great locks. I found the set for the LC on Ebay, out of HK for $27.
IMG_0671.jpg
IMG_0669.jpg

For new keys, get the number off the passenger side lock cylinder and take it to Toyota. They can cut you new keys. Cost me $5 per key in Vancouver. I have found that having fresh keys actually helps revive the lock cylinder.

of course this will be useless if your passenger lock does not match your others, but I suspect that a little lubrication will make that lock work again.

CCOT sells new ignition cylinders and keys.

My 60 only came with one key also. It was bent and worn out. Took it to Lowes and got a new one cut. Just make sure you get someone that knows how to cut keys properly. My new key is longer than the old one. The index point is on the tip, so length doesn't matter as long as it works.

While we're on this subject, my rear hatch lock will not work at all...just won't turn. Can I get it fixed somewhere after I pop it out, so it still works with my original keys?

While we're on this subject, my rear hatch lock will not work at all...just won't turn. Can I get it fixed somewhere after I pop it out, so it still works with my original keys?

The rear latch is subject to more crud form road spray than all the rest and will bind up completely if not cleaned up. You can get to it form the inside. Start with something solvent like WD-40. I bet you can get it to free up. Mine has been completely bound up with crud once or twice and I have been able to bring it back to life with a good cleaning.

I got a universal Solex set. I used Solex locks on my 85 PU & 91 4Runner for years, Great locks. I found the set for the LC on Ebay, out of HK for $27.

Tell us more about these locks.

Agreed - looks like a cool option. Reasons you went with this vs OEM? More secure? Able to work as back hatch lock as well?

Thx!

I took my key and truck to a lock smith, they used measurements from the old key and information from a book to fabricate a new key. This was not a copy of the old key. It worked great and I got three keys made for around $20 without pulling the PS lock to get the number.

The lock guy also sprayed some lube into the DS and PS lock which greatly improved their operation.

Agreed - looks like a cool option. Reasons you went with this vs OEM? More secure? Able to work as back hatch lock as well?

Thx!

I like these looks because they'll slow the thief down long enough for me to cycle the shotgun.

They also have a deadbolt like feature that will stop a slim jim.

I first got the about 15 years back, when I came out to get in my truck and found a mangled lock, hanging off the door. Someone had hammered a screw driver in the lock and busted it out.

After that, I got the Solex locks and installed an alarm. Never had another brake in on that truck.

Money well spent (IMO).;)

Should be a drop in with the 60, but will take a little work with the 62 power locks.

Solex 2 Door Lock Round Key Universal Security Safety - eBay (item 390280168452 end time Mar-14-11 02:35:25 PDT)

Benjamin - good info and thanks for the link. Do you know if these can work in the lift gate as well?

They will not work in the tail gate.:crybaby:

The reason why your single key works in the drivers door and ignition is because they were the two spots where it was used the most.
Consequently, they have corresponding amounts of wear.

When i got my cruiser, I got one key, and through a misadventure, managed to lose the key within moments.
Out of desperation, I took a shot and discovered that my single Mitsubishi Montero key successfully operated both the driver door lock and ignition. That's how loose the tumblers in these locks get after almost three decades. Hell, even my plastic AAA wallet key for the Montero managed to work in the old Cruiser lock and ignition.

It is a snap to pop off the passenger door panel and pop the lock cylinder out. Frankly, it is WELL worth it to KNOW the lock number for your truck.

Even with all new keys, I found the rear hatch lock was occasionally difficult. I pulled that and took it to my locksmith and, being an old-school guy, he took the cylinder apart and "detailed" it. Cleaned, and each tumbler slide lightly gone over with emery cloth and replaced. Works like a champ now. You could do this yourself, if you manage to not lose any of the tiny springs.

While getting the code and makign new keys is one solution, note that the drivers lock and ignition are STILL going to be ridiculously loose. After an incident in which I locked my keys in the car, I discovered that the drivers door will open to almost any key that will fit - seriously, a wide range of keys will work.

So, if you are serious about securing your vehicle, getting NEW lock cylinders may be a much better bet.

I took my passenger side key cylinder out and took it to toyota and they were able to order me new keys based off some code that was on that cylinder. $10 and i was out the door. Did take a day to get in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom