Kaon Roof Shelf... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok. Got it installed. It fits great. Took about 30 mins. Could have taken 15.
A8DE9B6A-8D23-4055-BF13-58088AD3BEFB.jpeg

9FD4DD95-7486-44D5-BF2C-6CE87D9FB781.jpeg

04D4C9F3-E673-49E8-B51C-867718881023.jpeg

0270DC8D-D5DF-469E-B03B-5300F7FCD8A3.jpeg

B0504752-CEC2-46C2-BA9D-56D744DFA4F9.jpeg

Tent, toilet, pillow. (I clean my toilet religiously)

Managed to get my tent, two little folding camp tables, a camp chair, hammock, straps, pillow and doormat/rug up there.

I’ve had the Blue Ridge Overland “attic” for a few years now...and while I like it better than not having it...it’s not ideal.
The more you put on, the more it sags, of course...and stuff slides forward and off of it too easily.... Ends up terrorizing my dog. So...I like the rigidity of this, and the barrier at front or bag. Also, it’s grumjd will let me secure stuff easily if needed.

Oh snap! I have the BRO attic as well, based on your (and others) glowing review. I like it, I keep light stuff up there like a rain coat, small blanket, umbrella, etc. I use clothes pins and binder clips to keep stuff from sliding around.

Oh snap! I have the BRO attic as well, based on your (and others) glowing review. I like it, I keep light stuff up there like a rain coat, small blanket, umbrella, etc. I use clothes pins and binder clips to keep stuff from sliding around.

I don’t mean to knock the BR attic at all. I’ve happily used it, and would keep using it...but I’m thinking this solution may answer the one or two issues i’ve had. Plus, I’ve partially been using the BRO upside down...using the strings differently than designed.

Who knows... We’ll see.

Last edited:
If you have a lot of small backpacking gear, you can fit a ton of stuff up there. It you have regular camping gear, you'll be limited. Its pretty narrow vertically. Soft items that can lay flat or be stuffed would all be perfect. Don't think you could get a sleeping bag up there unless you took it out of its sack and stuffed up there. In that case you could probably get a few of them up there. I definitely won't have any trouble carrying all of my bedding up there, save for the Exped.

@TheGrrrrr do you think it could be mounted on the second row hand holds vs the third row? Hard to tell from your pics and the pics from their site but just looking at my own rig it seems like it would work.

Does this mess with rearward visibility at all, or is it completely above the rear hatch window?

Trying to figure out how to haul all our gear while having a couple pretty big dog crates in the back. Got some Reef drawers on order but the roof shelf may be a real value adder.

My first thought when I took it out of the box was... Oh Man! @Markuson is going to need one of these!

First off... THANK YOU @TheGrrrrr ...for even finding this thing. It’s installed now, and I’m FEALLY happy with it. I think I can still sleep under it when traveling alone, so that’s great.

Also...! I found a GREAT use for my Blue Ridge Overland Attic...that actually solves another issue. I turned it into a partial cargo barrier, as it fit between the loops I added to my ARB drawers and the front of the Kaon when it it’s most forward mounts! This is basically to keep pillows, etc from falling on my dog in row 2.
Even better...the attic is essentially see-through. I may remove the cord/lines to make it more so. It is surprisingly strong...and I don’t really need a full barrier anyway.

Shout out to @KLF re the attic not going to waste! :)
9A4E2B48-AD79-41E7-9718-A1F5B17E0688.jpeg
515B11A5-8717-497B-830C-2DD2438D0D73.jpeg

853ABAF2-889C-4AF7-9AD5-2849F7C93263.jpeg

Several items I always have on trails fit perfectly: My two REI chairs (literally a perfect fit in their bags), a ground cover/blanket, small roll-up table, and the awkwardly sized WC I take with wifeOr in groups.

Last edited:
Does this mess with rearward visibility at all, or is it completely above the rear hatch window?

Trying to figure out how to haul all our gear while having a couple pretty big dog crates in the back. Got some Reef drawers on order but the roof shelf may be a real value adder.

I can still see the rear window. You might see the Kaon a bit, but RVM is still very functional.

My first thought when I took it out of the box was... Oh Man! @Markuson is going to need one of these!

Hey @TheGrrrrr ... I think the molle thing might be really useful after all for some smaller spot facing forward to second row. Fridge is there, and would make an easy spot for some food related tools in easy reach.

My hesitation with some molle stuff is always wishing I could remove them more easily, BUT the slots on the Kaon make access way easier than other molle panels. :)

Hey @TheGrrrrr ... I think the molle thing might be really useful after all for some smaller spot facing forward to second row. Fridge is there, and would make an easy spot for some food related tools in easy reach.

My hesitation with some molle stuff is always wishing I could remove them more easily, BUT the slots on the Kaon make access way easier than other molle panels. :)

Molle attached to anything soft is always a PITA, especially if you need to attach and remove frequently. I like it primarily for things that I just keep attached. On my 5.11 backpack OI have a Molle water bottle holder for my Nalgene, a radio pouch and a phone holster. All three suck to attach/detach so I just leave them where they are.

Day to day and highway driving, I'll probably limit attachments on the shelf, but on the trail I'll have it kitted out.

On the forward facing 'wall' of the shelf, I'm thinking maybe a first aid kit, radio holster, mag carrier and the AR Pistol in fist clamps. My inner hill-billy always wanted a gun rack. Underneath, I'm going to experiment with a bunch of stuff. I'm thinking of making a panel with pockets that can attach to the underside and have all of my camp kitchen stuff there. Plates, utensils, seasoning, knives, unrefrigerated condiments etc. I'm thinking if I remove the forward shelf bolts it would swing down to a vertical position and make for a really handy 'kitchen wall'. Maybe make multiple panels like camp kitchen, target shooting, track day support, tailgate party etc, and swap them out based on need... but I'm just thinking out loud at this point.

I can still see the rear window. You might see the Kaon a bit, but RVM is still very functional.

Nice. I might have to snag one, and probably one of the barn door table things for the gf's GX. I showed one to her and she seemed hyped about it.

@TheGrrrrr do you think it could be mounted on the second row hand holds vs the third row? Hard to tell from your pics and the pics from their site but just looking at my own rig it seems like it would work.
Yes it fits. But the roof is lower because of the light dome so the vertical barrier does not fit. Also, I turned the shelf to make it a bit more level. Front is now back.

Yes it fits. But the roof is lower because of the light dome so the vertical barrier does not fit. Also, I turned the shelf to make it a bit more level. Front is now back.
Thanks for the response! I already bought one, figured it looked like it should fit. The dome light was a concern of mine, but I’m planning to do the same flipping it around. Figure it’s easier to access it from the front seats.

Does anyone anticipate any issues installing this in an LX570 with 3rd row retained?

I don't see any reason why it would not work, but wanted to confer with the greater forum wisdom before placing an order.
I'm not a hardcore overlander (aspiring, someday perhaps), but would like to store gear safely mounted away from kids/dogs, but within easy reach from the hatch.

Does anyone anticipate any issues installing this in an LX570 with 3rd row retained?

I don't see any reason why it would not work, but wanted to confer with the greater forum wisdom before placing an order.
I'm not a hardcore overlander (aspiring, someday perhaps), but would like to store gear safely mounted away from kids/dogs, but within easy reach from the hatch.
Should be fine. Will cramp the head space back there pretty good.

Can I get a measurement from hanger bolt to mounting bolt on the bracket? I am after the vertical drop.

Put this on the wrong thread.

i am working on a homemade version using the oh s*** handle adapter from kaon and building the rest.

around $50aus for the four captive nuts Shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom