Builds KAIZEN GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

So I picked up my GX a couple weeks ago. Did a some preventative stuff: all the fluids, Leaking Axle Seal. Got rid of the running boards, blacked out the grill, LED interior light swap. Will do a lot more preventative maintenance/upgrades in the upcoming few weeks.

Upcoming:
OME Lift & Tires
Custom Baja Roof Rack
Front Bumper (IDK which yet)
Sliders
Under-Body Protection
Much more I can't think of right now...

Did a shakedown this weekend, hit Sycamore Creek & Box Canyon in Florence. Tested the Dif Locks, 4hi/4lo, even had it on 3 wheels at one point and the A-trac kicked in (scared the heck out of the wife) Even saw another GX470 which happened to be stuck coming down a large drop. Fellow FJ driver pulled him out.

A few pics below for your viewing pleasure.
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5075.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG

Nice GX! Looks like you're off to a good start. I like the name...continuous improvement, huh? :thumbsup: (former Toyota employee here so I'm familiar with the Kaizen Kool Aid) :D

Welcome aboard. Been out to Box Canyon several times (not in the GX yet), never seen water flowing through there.

Nice GX! Looks like you're off to a good start. I like the name...continuous improvement, huh? :thumbsup: (former Toyota employee here so I'm familiar with the Kaizen Kool Aid) :D

Thank you. It will be a never ending project and Im sure ill always be able to make improvements. Studied the concept in business school so it seemed fitting. Lol. Will always be making improvements!

Welcome aboard. Been out to Box Canyon several times (not in the GX yet), never seen water flowing through there.

Im still stock height and The GX did well, but Im sure a couple inches of ground clearance wouldve helped. Had to stop and add some rocks to make ramps to get over obstacles more than once. Definetely have Newfound respect for the stock underbody protection!

It was gorgeous, first time there and Saw lots of jeeps, few FJs, 4runners, and even a GX that was stuck lol im sure theres still water there these pictures are from Sunday.

AMZN employee here and I am also dedicated to continuous, daily improvement.

Just picked up FNs...basically brand new, Craigslist find :)

Wanted a negative offset but 0mm will do. Got lucky with the price and condition. Will get them on with new tires and the lift since I want to go 285/70/17

Since the offset is 0mm...can I go wider on the wheel size? I dont mind heating some parts...already deleted the running boards so that wont be an issue.

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

So finally got around to adding the wheels.

285/70/17 Terra Grapplers
Stock suspension. Rubs a bit at full rotation but going to fix that with the heat gun. Getting the OME lift in a couple weeks so that should reaolve that issue. Enjoy!

Had Picked up a set of rock warriors but selling those.

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5921.JPG

Just picked up FNs...basically brand new, Craigslist find :)

Wanted a negative offset but 0mm will do. Got lucky with the price and condition. Will get them on with new tires and the lift since I want to go 285/70/17

Since the offset is 0mm...can I go wider on the wheel size? I dont mind heating some parts...already deleted the running boards so that wont be an issue.

View attachment 1430963

View attachment 1430964

I have the TRD pro sema version of the wheels. Where did you get them?

The center cap looks different. Never noticed that before but then I've never seen them up close. The TRD sema measure 7x17 with 4mm offset. I have mounted 315/70R17 KO2's on them, supposedly too wide for 7 inch rims but the tires work well on them. I had them down to 15 psi wheeling last Saturday.

download_20170518_224213.jpg

I have the TRD pro sema version of the wheels. Where did you get them?

The center cap looks different. Never noticed that before but then I've never seen them up close. The TRD sema measure 7x17 with 4mm offset. I have mounted 315/70R17 KO2's on them, supposedly too wide for 7 inch rims but the tires work well on them. I had them down to 15 psi wheeling last Saturday.

View attachment 1489852

Are those OEM? Mine are made by FN wheels, they resemble the stock ones but have a 0mm offset.

Are those OEM? Mine are made by FN wheels, they resemble the stock ones but have a 0mm offset.

Yup. OEM. My customizer had to provide a 4runner Vin number to order them from Toyota.

What's the width on yours?

Yup. OEM. My customizer had to provide a 4runner Vin number to order them from Toyota.

Yea I wanted OEM but the width and offset didnt work for me. I actually wanted a negative offset but the 0 works well too. Went 285 and clears the Upper control arm and sits about 1.5 inches wider than stock

17x8

They are wider than the stock OEMs as well

Yeah. Stock wheels have 7.5 inch width. Where did you buy the FNs? I have been looging for them for awhile and settled for the TRD sema ones instead.

Yeah. Stock wheels have 7.5 inch width. Where did you buy the FNs? I have been looging for them for awhile and settled for the TRD sema ones instead.

I got lucky, they came up on craigslist locally. Brand new set someone bought but decided not to use.

Yea I wanted OEM but the width and offset didnt work for me. I actually wanted a negative offset but the 0 works well too. Went 285 and clears the Upper control arm and sits about 1.5 inches wider than stock

I have bigger tires than you: 315/70R17 on the OEM TRD wheels. Everything fits well after BMC and some fender trimming. I'm surprised you didn't think 285 would fit on the OEM wheels.

I do have an 3" OME lift and SPC UCA's.

I have bigger tires than you: 315/70R17 on the OEM TRD wheels. Everything fits well after BMC and some fender trimming. I'm surprised you didn't think 285 would fit on the OEM wheels.

I do have an 3" OME lift and SPC UCA's.

I was concerned that they would rub as I dont have the lift yet. I will get the OME lift and UCAs in a couple weeks but in the mean time I was concerned about how much they would rub. The size/width of the tire I wasnt concerned about. About to get under it and get the fenders trimmed a bit.

So they definitely rub. The tires are a very tight fit without the lift. Passenger side is maybe a 1/4 inch from touching the body. Thinking of just getting rid of the wheel well liner. Want to get a custom bumber anyways.

What are the negatives of deleting the liners? Any advice on how to solve this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom