K & N replacement for stock air filter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I asked a technician at Toyota about this about two weeks ago and he echoed the concern about the oil that K&N uses messing up airflow sensors and other injection system parts. According to him, the TRD filter's oil will not harm these components. I have had a K&N filter in my 4Runner for over 75000 miles but I have not noticed any improvement in mileage or performance at all. I have also not noticed any problem with my injection system BUT I am compusively careful about oiling it lightly, letting it dry overnight on an old newspaper before using it, and also letting it dry as long as possible before putting oil on it so that water left over from the cleaning is as gone as possible. You should not hurry the process of letting the water evaporate by using an air hose as it can damage the cotton lining. After all my experience with the K&N, honestly the only reason to get the filter is to save on the cost of replacement OEM filters however, I suspect that the K&N lets much more fine particulate through it than the OEM which might mean all that saved money just gets you to a rebuild a lot faster? If I was able to do this over again, I would stay with OEM filters and replace on the correct intervals. JMHO. :beer: For All!

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9145;start=msg79784#msg79784 date=1072235793]
Do be cautious when using oiled filters on vehicles with heated-wire air flow sensors such as the 95 up 80 series and Tacoma/4Runner. An agressivly oiled filter will foul and possibly ruin the sensor. I have seen several vehicles with airflow sensor issues caused by oiled air filters such as K&N.
[/quote]

Another reason why the 36th-37th anniversary editions are the best. :D

>> I just wrap toilet paper about a chicken wire frame and soak <<
>> 'er down with Pam™ <<

Tyler,
There's at least one guy on the forum that will pay you money for that revolutionary product.

ROTLMAO.
-B-

I run a K&N with a hand fabricated intake and ram charger box on the PS of my 91.

I needed to get as many ponies as I could from the mighty 3FE.

I have noticed big gains with this setup and a wider exhaust (cat back 2.5").

Your mileage and experience may differ.

I have not noticed any power gain on my 91 from my K & N....I will try cutting the plastic piece tomorrow to try to gain more power.

I had decided on the TRD, then someone at the local Toyota shop mentioned Amsoil air filter.

I know a great deal of us use or at lease reccommend Amsoil lubricant products, but have not seen anything mentioned about their air filter (made by Hastings).

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about them?

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html

Sorry about the last post, my fingers hit the wrong button. I have used K&n in the past on a couple of older EFI system and have found them to be great for not having to replace often. But the down side is the passing of dirt into the engine. You can see this if you look in the rubber hose from the filter to the Throttle body. I dod not run any oil type filter due to this dirt. I think if there could be a layered system to filter out the finer dust then I might try. With the stock paper filter I have never noticed any dirt in the intake hose. Since I value the cost of an engine over a slight performance gain, I will use the paper filters. robbie

Gentlemen of the board, I take great pleasure in being the first to welcome robbie to our group. He is a VERY VALUABLE asset....... :D

There is now some one who can call Bull$hit when I claim something............. 8)

Hello Robbie, and welcome to the 80/100 section on IH8MUD! Feel free to :slap: C-Dan any time you want.

Have you personally tried the TRD filter? Have you serviced customer trucks with the TRD filter and if so, did you see the same dirt accumulation in the hose that you see with the K&N?

-B-

Robbie, would the EFI systems be the Toyota PU early 1990's?
The KN filer was not the same size as the Toyota filter. It would let air go around the filter and make a hell of a noise and let crap past the filter.

Clarification: I run my K&N with the dry charger...filters dirt really well.

It may take a some time to get use to this system of little yellow guys. Thanks for the welcome. Yes to the TRD filters, they are bigger in size but look like a K&N filter in construciton. Yes as to the dust in the hose. But look for your self, I wish the filters did not have the dust acculmation in the hose I would use them in a heart beat. I like the idea of them. With my old f/runner and the 22re it was very little to rebuild an engine, maybe 1k in parts and machineing. With my 1FZ it cost about 3-3.5k in parts and machineing. Time involved is more for the rebuild and R&R of the eninge. I think some times it would be OK to run a K&N or TRD on the highway, but not on a dirt road much or in a pack of trucks. I do think it would be harmful to the engine over time. later robbie

[quote author=robbie link=board=2;threadid=9145;start=msg83934#msg83934 date=1073145742]
With my old f/runner and the 22re it was very little to rebuild an engine, maybe 1k in parts and machineing.

[/quote]

I thought the 22re would never need to be rebuilt :D They last for ever like a Ever lasting Gobstopper.
I keep my OME paper filter extra dusty areas.
With the TRD filter, I keep in front of the pack :flipoff2: (This little guy is blue)

looks :flipoff2: green to me...... ::)

check yer tint setting :whoops:

I wrote green but it looks blueish. I think its Turquois
:rolleyes: is very light green
:flipoff2: :rolleyes: the flip looks more blue :slap:

Cdan, you should know Turquois as all of you's from da southwest have Turquois on everthing.
I kant wait to see your Turquois studded dash. :flipoff2:

Ya Ta Heh

So, any experiences or knowledge of the Amsoil air filter?

22rs last for ever if you have good timing chain guide set up, do not have glacial dust by passing the filter(long story). as for the K&N, TRD filters they fit where they need to fit to not let dust by, the overall diameter is small and the pleats less deep, the TRD being bigger then the K&N. but both fit the inside diameter just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom