Jzilla's FJ60 to BJ60 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much of a dowry...

What is this foam you are talking about for antirattle?

Dowry was a funny.

Buy consider time as 4X the norm , if there was one , so spare set of wheels Yugo special comrade !!!

Foam duct insulating tape is for the HVAC system plus . these 30 year old trucks are suffering from degeneration of many things.

If your in there , THIS is the time to fix. A harness is dash removal (.7) HVAC duct removal and cleaning , checking etc. = Priceless time ..

Your BJ heater blower fan resistor / stepping speed unit is toast compared to the one from warm / dry . but your internal foam is better because of less HC / bad air as they have in there area's air .. we have ocean air with it's corrosion .

So like your upcoming life , the migration of two , will take time. :)

VT

Last edited:
I will be heading down to California this Saturday to pick up the FJ60, hopefully all goes well!
I just about have the wiring harness out of the 84BJ60, but now I think I will use the harness from my 81BJ60. The reason being this: my 81 already has the built in manual glow to the ignition, the 84 has the extra wires for the superglow which I don't think I will ever use. Since I will be swapping in the 81 engine for now, that is the route I will go. Hmm now I will have to plan this so I don't have my truck off the road for too long...Maybe I will keep the 84 harness still!
I guess I can cut the superglow wires off or tie them up somewhere...
I will have to look at the wilson switch threads.

The plan now is to cut the engine mounts out of the 84BJ and weld in to the 84FJ, remove harness from FJ,
have FJ prepped so that I can put 81BJ engine and wiring in within a day or two (wishful thinking most likely). Only took me about 3 hours to remove the wiring harness I think! not too bad...
Still not sold on putting in the power steering yet either, I have lived without it for 9 years...I can always keep it handy if I want to put it in later.

Last edited:
I have a set of the factory steel engine mounts that I cut of my frame to do my swap. PM if interested. They are ready to weld back on very easily.

I ended up having to make new mounts to install the Isuzu engine.

Doug

Update...
I am in Corning California right now, 12 hours of driving from Vancouver. Should be picking up the Cruiser tomorrow then driving it to San Fran where we will stay a night then start driving it back home.

Thanks Lost, looks like great fun!
So you mean the BJ harness will plug into the rear FJ harness?

it worked for my hj to fj swap, i dont see why the bj harness wouldnt plug in.
(on top of that my hj was 24v)

Cool I'm doing the same thing right now, but I'm taking my body off of my fj60 and putting it on the frame of my bj60, I got lucky in that only the body is toast on my bj60.
I figured with having to do the mounts for the tranny, 3b, and then swapping axels for the 4.11's it would be easier to just take off the front clip and strip the cab then raise and roll the old frame and engine underneath.
Let me know if I'm out to lunch on this if anyone has tried this before.
Good luck with the swap

Almost home with my new rust free FJ60. When I finally saw it on Sunday afternoon it was better than I had expected! Underneath is unreal! Sooo clean!
I hope to clean it asap and then paint the frame, I then plan to coat inside the frame with some sort of wax based coating.
Will update soon.

I noticed that it does not have the factory mounting holes for the vacuum pump canister, so I guess I will have to drill my own...no big deal I guess. I was expecting them to be there though!

Everything went well! Going through the US was easy, the canadian side took more time, bring a receipt with you, I had the bill of sale, but they still thought I paid too little for the truck. Luckily I had the craigslist ad from when the previous owner had bought it, and he had paid less than I did.

So I have finally made some progress stripping the 84 FJ and the 84 BJ. Engines are still in...
I never came across a discussion regarding the piping for the heater cores being different, on the FJ heater core both pipes exit the passenger side firewall, on the BJ, one pipe exits the drivers side and one exits the passenger side firewall.
Since I am putting in a diesel harness I am also changing out the heater cores while I am in there. I will have to a cut a hole in the firewall for the heater core pipe on the drivers side as there does not appear to be one.
Also cleaned all the heater ducting and painted the dash support flat black.

I am also changing out the heater cores while I am in there. I will have to a cut a hole in the firewall for the heater core pipe on the drivers side as there does not appear to be one.

This is not necessary. 3B fits into later FJ body with the change of 1 rubber hose for the heater hose routing under the hood. Ive done it 3 times now. Ill see if I can find a photo though it seems like you are already committed.

Yeah I was looking at that, but since I don't run the rear heater it might be cleaner...
I would appreciate the pic nonetheless. Anyhow I dropped the heater core off at the rad shop to get tested.
Thanks!

Here is a pic of that water connection.
IMG_0020.jpg

The other thing to note for someone considering this conversion. Its not necessary to swap the wiring harness. Its such a pain the A I could never bring myself to do it.

All you need from the donor rig is the edic controller and the edic motor. You can cut both of these out just make sure you have some wiring on he body side of the plugs.

Wiring is pretty straight forward for these. Off the top of my head.

4 wires go directly between the edic controller and edic motor on the engine, then at the controller you have ground, keyed power, and starter trigger. The wiring is actually in the diagram for the appropriate 60 series body/chassis manual. The basic diagram in the back covers FJ and BJ.

EDIT - also there is one wire from the controller to the small oil sending unit

The other wiring to do involves a momentary switch for the glow plugs which most prefer over the stock controller setup anyway.

Last edited:
I don't see the hose connection you are talking about...it would be at the rear heater valve area would it not?

The main reason I wanted to swap harnesses is because 1) Since I have the 81BJ60 it has the manual glow built into the ignition so I thought it would be easier to swap the harness 2) I did not want to mess with wiring at all if I could help it!

When all is said and done I will let you know how it went!

John

I wish I had known about your heater core issue when I talked to you today. I left the FJ core in mine and you could have seen the hose issue first hand. Why Toyota moved the BJ or FJ was clearance issues. The lower hose in the FJ set up hits the heat shield on the exhaust of the 3B but careful use of a hammer will cure this if you want to keep the FJ core and not have to mess with new holes. I will post a pic for you. Lower hose is the one in our BJ's that is over on the drivers side, cobbled mine together with parts from the FJ.

I vote to swap the harness as a whole. Its not difficult if you pull the dash which is not difficult either but you need to pull the whole dash to make it easy. be a great time to add sound deadener to the fire wall too.

Other thing to consider if you are keeping the instrument cluster from the BJ as there is no glow light or filter light in the FJ and are those wires inside the FJ harness. Does your 81 have the superglow? If so and you want to keep it, there is more than just adding a couple of wires to an FJ harness.

Great meeting you at Cruiser Days

Tony
heater core hoses 001.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Tony,
Great meeting you as well! Thanks for the info! I will have to lost up some pictures of what I am doing soon, should make things more clear!
I am swapping the whole harness, already have the dash and everything out on the FJ60, does not seem to be a big deal...
I am going to use the BJ heater core and just drill a hole in the firewall, It will be better this way for two reasons 1) I don't run the rear heater and 2) The way my coolant lines are plumbed in for the turbo is better with the BJ heater core.
Will try and get some pics up soon!

it worked for my hj to fj swap, i dont see why the bj harness wouldnt plug in.
(on top of that my hj was 24v)

I had the same experience, 2H and 5spd into a FJ62, just swapped main wiring harness and left the harness running to the rear of the truck. I still have to do the rear wiper and washer but lights, fuel sending unit, trailer wiring, etc, all work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom