Jzilla's FJ60 to BJ60 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diesel harness is now in and the 2F engine and tranny have been pulled.
Took off the front clip for the removal of engine, it has been primed and painted, also primed and painted the rad mounts and horns (might as well!) Swapping harnesses was actually quite easy once everything else was apart! Having the heater core rebuilt, took out the A/C evaporator and cleaned the almost 30 years of dog hairs and dust off it.

Next is to measure and drill the holes for the vacuum pump canister before I reinstall the blower motor.

Does anyone know if I can just leave the brake booster and master in from the 84FJ60? Or do I need to put in the one from my 81BJ60? It looks like there is a pipe I can run a hose to from the vacuum cansiter.

Does anyone know if I can just leave the brake booster and master in from the 84FJ60? Or do I need to put in the one from my 81BJ60? It looks like there is a pipe I can run a hose to from the vacuum cansiter.

I don't see why not.

When doing all my swapping around I have tried to find out just what the differences are between the two styles of brake boosters with no luck. Sure would like to know if one is better than the other.

But if the FJ booster doesn't work for some odd reason the BJ booster will bolt right in.

The only part that may be a pain is that the BJ has a rigid tube on the firewall that feeds the booster on the outboard edge and the FJ booster is connected on the inboard side of the housing.

Tony

I have the tube from the 84 and it connects on the same side as the FJ, so I should just be able to bend it slightly.

Today I removed the FJ60 exhaust and spare tire, was pretty easy. 2F engine was trucked away today by someone that bought it.
Did not get around to drilling the holes for the vacuum canister yet. I did swap filler necks, well almost!
You actually do not have to swap filler necks I discovered...I pulled one out of the 84 diesel, it was quite rusty at the bottom. The FJ filler neck was mint, I thought why put something rusty in this truck?
The only difference is the little gas nozzle flap thing inside the tube that doesn't allow a diesel nozzle.
So...I thought why not see if I can get it out with a die grinder? So that is what I did, ground it down on each side where the spot welds were and finally got it out! Of course I had to paint it as well after :)

Which fuel line on the suction tube gets plugged on the FJ tank? Or should I put in the diesel suction tube?

What have people done for the clutch slave hose support on the firewall (where hose connects to hardline)? Just cut off from donor and bolt on other side?

The fuel tank breather line that goes down the frame rail with the fuel lines and then crosses over to the drivers side then back again and then goes back a bit further, I think I will remove it! It has been rusted out on my present BJ60 for years...

Which fuel line on the suction tube gets plugged on the FJ tank? Or should I put in the diesel suction tube?

What have people done for the clutch slave hose support on the firewall (where hose connects to hardline)? Just cut off from donor and bolt on other side?

The fuel tank breather line that goes down the frame rail with the fuel lines and then crosses over to the drivers side then back again and then goes back a bit further, I think I will remove it! It has been rusted out on my present BJ60 for years...

If I read your build right, I would use the feed and the return fuel line from the fJ in the FJ tank as they are probably in better shape and you don't have to frig with the tank either. Just feed your 3B and connect the return line.

I don't quite get ya. The hard line from the reservoir to the clutch? Aren't both your trucks 4 speed trannys? If the FJ clutch line won't work, use the BJ line.

I don't quite get ya. The hard line from the reservoir to the clutch? Aren't both your trucks 4 speed trannys? If the FJ clutch line won't work, use the BJ line.

Probably refering to 3B slave on left side, 2F slave on right side of bellhousing. So the hardline is different as is the bracket at the bottom end for the left side slave. Should be pretty straight forward to add that bracket to the firewall and use the BJ setup.

BC40 thanks for clarifying, that is what I meant, should be easy enough...
As for the fuel lines from the FJ tank, which one do I use? Which do I plug?

I thought I might drop the tank as I already have the filler neck out so it would not be too much more trouble...

Oh and the FJ is a 4 speed, my other trucks are 5 speeds

Gutting the 84 BJ60
Stripping 84BJ60.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom