Just purchased an Amazon Green 2011 200 Series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Actually, I bought John's

Still looking great these years later.
Now I'm trying to find the cleanest way to mount a ham radio.
Will either install a Yaesu ft-8900 or FT-857

Does anyone know the best solution for an antenna mount? I've seen the fender/hood monunts from Gamiviti, but I'd rather have it on the rear, ideally on the frame to the right of the liftgate. Ideas?

PXL_20201123_210034440.jpg

PXL_20201124_180959584.jpg

PXL_20201124_213948457.jpg

Love that Amazon green. Check the mods under $100 thread. I remember someone had a nice rear mount option.

Check this out at Amazon.com
K412SNMO Lip mount, 3-axis., UHF,... Amazon product ASIN B00S71R4HG

I used that same mount, on the passenger side lip of the rear hatch. It's a good mount, but honestly I think that is overpriced for what it is. I took the hard way to run the antenna wire, up through the hatch (hidden under the plastic), through the rubber conduit, then down to the right side under the big plastic. I was doing a buch of other stuff at the same time so I already had it off. I have my radio (Yaesu FT-8800) under the right side cover for my ARB drawers, then the head is up on the center stack. I can snap some pics if you want.

I used that same mount, on the passenger side lip of the rear hatch. It's a good mount, but honestly I think that is overpriced for what it is. I took the hard way to run the antenna wire, up through the hatch (hidden under the plastic), through the rubber conduit, then down to the right side under the big plastic. I was doing a buch of other stuff at the same time so I already had it off. I have my radio (Yaesu FT-8800) under the right side cover for my ARB drawers, then the head is up on the center stack. I can snap some pics if you want.

Yes! Please do share photos. I'm curious about the route for the wiring. IN my old subaru I found a hole in the firewall and pulled the plastic plug in it and ran some wire. It was a serviceable job, but I want to do this right. The center stack seems like it has a lot of wasted space. I don't care about the ashtray, and the 12v lighter plug coudl be replaced with anderson power pole panel mount from powerwerx

Likely just amazon's wording. The mount is just a cable extension with hardware attached (oversimplified.) I know Ham is technical, but it is often more confusing than it needs to be. This will work with a dual band 2m and 70cm antenna. I have a comet sbb-5NMO on mine.

Here’s how I mounted my interior main unit (Yaesu 400xdr)...
50743221-59A9-49C6-8A43-A7E70D4896D9.jpeg
714F51E4-8360-4163-8850-F0123674A0BA.jpeg
54F06FB0-136F-4451-BB30-9411C67F43FD.jpeg
B2544FCC-7974-41D7-A6E8-9C90309E7A07.jpeg
C3F01233-6B19-4A33-BF8F-38D31795D155.jpeg

Control unit:
0D957EF7-F44D-46A8-ACBD-043E33696EEC.jpeg

Great photos, thanks, @Markuson I see you have a dual battery....where di you put it? There's a big vod under the hood where there's a power steering pump..I'd love to fill that with a deep cycle battery for use while stopped/camping.

Also, how did you getpower from the battery to the ARB box? Did tyou use the wiring that goes to the stock inverter? Or is there a good place to go from engine bay to cabin? (by the way, I'm now aware of the FAQ section....lots of my questions answered there.

Great photos, thanks, @Markuson I see you have a dual battery....where di you put it? There's a big vod under the hood where there's a power steering pump..I'd love to fill that with a deep cycle battery for use while stopped/camping.

Also, how did you getpower from the battery to the ARB box? Did tyou use the wiring that goes to the stock inverter? Or is there a good place to go from engine bay to cabin? (by the way, I'm now aware of the FAQ section....lots of my questions answered there.

For second battery: Slee aux battery tray. it includes the necessary bracket to easily relocate the power steering fluid reservoir. With that slightly moved over, you can fit the type 35 battery Under the hood on the opposite side.

i’m not sure what you mean by the ARB box.

Let me know what you were referring to so that I can answer.

Thanks @Markuson. I'll get that tray from Slee. What I meant by power...I see that your radio main body is mounted back to the left of the storage boxes. How did you get 12v power to the radio?

Thanks @Markuson. I'll get that tray from Slee. What I meant by power...I see that your radio main body is mounted back to the left of the storage boxes. How did you get 12v power to the radio?

Ah. I already had power running to the rear in several ways...including paths from both batteries for different purposes...
...but if you need power back there for the first time, it depends on whether you want to run on your main battery or your 2nd. If running off main, you can run just a single positive wire through the firewall on driver and back though the door jams...then run a negative from any number of ground screws in back.

If you want to run it off of your 2nd battery (that’s what I do), you can easily run both positive and negative wires to the back through the much easier-to-access passenger side firewall.

Just be sure to add a simple in-line fuse in the positive wire near the battery, and all good.

Honestly, I have so many powered items in my LC, it’s a wonder my batteries survive. But they do...and my AGMs far outlived their expected life span. But then I tend to them regularly.

If this all sounds confusing, PM me and we can do the phone sometime.

Hey Markuson do you have a picture that shows how you attached the head unit of the yaesu to the ram mounts? Just got a yaesu 400 however I am not really sure where or how to mount it so I'm skimming through pictures and such on here. Thanks

Hey Markuson do you have a picture that shows how you attached the head unit of the yaesu to the ram mounts? Just got a yaesu 400 however I am not really sure where or how to mount it so I'm skimming through pictures and such on here. Thanks

Oh... :) I’ll snap a photo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom