JT's '88 4 Runner Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up a new roof section for the 4 Runner over lunch today. May be able to get a windshield back in this rig at some point. The roof section is mint with no rust what so ever, but I am going to have to redo my front overhead spreader bar since the roof section I picked up has a sunroof :)

So is your goal to get a windshield and some protection from the elements? I was wondering how you liked the openness of your current set up.

I am contemplating a large chop of my 80 so... fueling my questions :)

I don't mind the openness that I have right now, but wheeling at Rausch I get filthy with coal dust. Also if it rains, we get soaked. Wheeling in open areas, such as Rock Creek on a summer day can also bring the suck since there is no shade what so ever.

At some point I may put a true windshield back in, but I may just put a piece of clear vinyl that I have, like jeep soft to windows, that snaps in and out.

Before I rolled it, I really liked having a roof over the front and a bikini top over the back. I would say maybe chop the back section, but leave the passenger area with a roof and a good roll cage because once you lay it over with a chopped top, stuff will start to really move and fold like mine did.

All true..... I am just trying to decide on a cage for this 80 so if I am going to cut its fat, that would be the next step but if it'll keep it's full figure then I gotta decide on internal or what. Weather proof is appealing for a family wheeler :popcorn:

Worked on getting the roof section cut up for install, thank god I have a plasma cutter. The passenger side is being a pain, but I should be able to get it mostly lined up. It's not going to look like new when I am done, but it will work. Downside is the sunroof latch hits the center overhead tube big time and maybe the B-pillar, so I have to figure out what I am going to do with those. Probably could have gotten it welded up last night, but my plasma cutter decided it didn't want to play anymore :( Closest service place is an hour away - hopefully I didn't blow the board, which I don't think I did since everything else functions correctly, just the pilot arc does not start.

Anyway here are pictures so far.
RoofSection2.jpg

RoofSection1.jpg

This part of the project is done otherthan maybe putting a windshield in it, but I probably won't. Once I get my plasma cutter back from repair I will finish off the B-pillar bracing. The motor also needs a good tune up and timing chain replacment - who wants to help :)

RoofSection4.jpg

RoofSection5.jpg

Can not wait to wheel with you. Want to help me chop the crap out of my 80?????

How old is your daughter? mines in kindergarten.

Looks like the next time I will be out is for East Coast 4 Runner Jamboree the weekend of June 23 - Addy will be coming with me and she is 5 and also in kindergarten :)

I am sure we could get together and modify some sheetmetal - either on the trail or in the shop.

hey JT havent been on the forum in a very long time and glad to see your still wheelin and working on the rig. looking good

Hey Kevin. Been awhille - when you taking the FJ out? East Coast 4 Runner Jambo is coming up the weekend of June 23, which looks like the next time I will be out. You should try to make it out :)

Quick update on this - plasma cutter is working again, should finish out the three remaining roll cage tubes this week or next hopefully. Then the timing chain setup is getting replaced and the valves adjusted so it doesn't sound like a diesel anymore. Also need to replace the front output seal since it is leaking.

sounds like that would be a lot of fun..Ill see what I can do...thanks Jt

Timing chain stuff has all be swapped out for new along with tensioner, water pump, oil pump, belts and hoses. The divers side guide had snapped and the chain was loose as hell - hence the noise. The valves were also quite loose.

Had it out on the road to see what it could do with the 37's and 4.10 gears for the hell of it. 5 th gear was non-existant, but it drove pretty well for having unbalanced PB Rockers. Worst part was not having the windshield, it was so much air and noise, I couldn't hear the tires or motor. Had my mom follow me just to be safe and I was reading about 40-45 mph, but she said I was up around 55. It didn't do too bad with the 4.10 gears - may be worth trying to race with it one day.

anytime your going out, if you want some company, let me know. I started chopping up cruiser and its going to be awhile before I get her back together. So I am always willing to tag along.

If you ever need help wrenching let me know. Id love to get some tips on welding since that is my next adventure.

Heading out this weekend with my daughter to Rausch. I am sure we could find you a seat with someone.

The 4 Runner is pretty much done at this point, but the next project is engine swap on the FJ40, can always use a hand :)

Let me know when you need a hand, im home for two weeks at a time with nothing to do and I think im only like 20 mins from you.

Few updates with this rig. Blew the rear shock out one of the last times I was out, so I am going to be mounting a set of 12" Bilsteins vertically along with adding at least 2 leaves to the rear spring pack to get the height back.

Also decided I am not going with leaf springs in the front when I do the SAS, going to be going with a 3 link using brackets from Barnes 4wd and 6 TeraFlex large flex joints that are fully rebuildable that I won at a recent raffle.

Will be on the look out for some air shocks as well.

Joints came in, 3 left and 3 right with jam nuts.
Joint-1.jpg

Pretty much anytime, just let me know :)

Two pictures from the last time out. Didn't get any pictures myself as I had my daughter with. Still working great and nothing broke.

DSCN1977.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom