JDM Rear Tire Carrier -- Confirmation needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rare-pops.com
Hello to everyone, this is a question for those with the jdm rear tire carrier on their trucks.

I have made my own reinforcement brackets to install the parts but before I proceed with drilling the upper and lower D pillar and complete the install, I was wondering if you can confirm the following:

1. With the upper and lower swing out arms flushed to the pillar, does the Tire Carrier sit slightly curved to the body?
2. Is this supposed to run completely parallel to the top and bottom tailgate (pic 2)?
- Btw, if I make it completely 90 degrees to the upper/lower tailgate, it will not touch the D pillar (above and below the rear right brake lights)

Thank you in advance.

Rear Tire Carrier 1.jpg

Rear Tire Carrier 2.jpg

That looks like it is sitting too close to the body. It does run completely parallel to the body, but you are correct that there's a slight arch to the arms. See if these pics help.
20200921_175815.jpg
20200921_175821.jpg
20200921_175830.jpg

Also the top and bottom tailgate have internal reinforcement, I find this installing a tailgate mod in my truck.
I can send you a photo of the internals in a week (Right now Im out of my city for vacations)

Sorry for the ultra late response!! This is a picture of the lower tailgate (internal reinforcement) of a LC80 with OEM tire carrier

1A65493B-E0B8-43F9-96B8-EC1C505CC6F1.jpeg
ECF2CB24-73E6-4975-AB9C-5189CEA4061D.jpeg

Sorry for the ultra late response!! This is a picture of the lower tailgate (internal reinforcement) of a LC80 with OEM tire carrier

View attachment 2622837View attachment 2622838
Is there any issues with the storage, tailgate and or the tire carrier? I have been thinking of adding the tailgate storage, but have seen some manufacturers don't recommend it with the tire oem carrier.

Is there any issues with the storage, tailgate and or the tire carrier? I have been thinking of adding the tailgate storage, but have seen some manufacturers don't recommend it with the tire oem carrier.

no, everything its OK, I've driven the truck over rough terrain and still Solid.

Just be carefull when you cut the tailgate, If I had a 2nd chance to do this work, I would cut around the OEM weld points (less storage but I could keep the original stiffness)

F28C5D40-EFE4-4DDE-8EA4-57222DD13E0D.jpeg

I actually did both jdm rear tire carrier and tailgate storage. I made reinforcement brackets to support the upper and lower tailgate additions for the tire carrier.

1617032455399.png
1617032625426.png
1617032656552.png
1617032771724.png

Where did you guys source the carrier and parts? Is it strong enough to carry a 285 on stock wheel?

Thanks

matzell, Here's a link to a thread that may answer your question's.​

I have loaded 285 (MT) and 305 (AT) both driven on rough terrain without any problem, but mine have also internal OEM reinforcements (last pillar and tailgate)

I have loaded 285 (MT) and 305 (AT) both driven on rough terrain without any problem, but mine have also internal OEM reinforcements (last pillar and tailgate)
Do you think you could run a 37” tire on the carrier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom