James Baroud RTT review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_0457[1].JPG IMG_0445[1].JPG
IMG_0445[1].JPG
IMG_0445[1].JPG
IMG_0445[1].JPG
Picked up a Grand Raid XXL RTT last Wednesday from Jim and Chuck of OK4WD at Cruise Moab. Have used it every night since and have set it up and down at least 10 times. Mounted to a new Rhino Rack Platform rack on top of my '06 Land Cruiser. Here are my thoughts.
As a disclaimer, I have not tried any other RTTs and am not comparing or disparaging any other brands or styles. I didn't get it for free and have no affiliation with either James Baroud or OK4WD ( other than to say that Jim and Chuck are great guys who I would do business with again in a heart beat!).
In a word- Perfect!!
Super easy to set up- release the back clips and then the front ones and watch it go up.
Ladder is very light and easy to deploy- works on either side and can hook to the rear to access it that way as well, although I probably would add the standard mounting hardware like on the sides if I were going to use that access point on a regular basis.
Very well thought out inside. LED lights and solar powered fan. A little nit some might have is that to reverse the fan you have to replace the blades, but that doesn't bother me at all. Ceiling and wall pockets for storage of books etc. Very high quality materials throughout.
Comfy mattress- a little hard for me, but I just added a partially inflated Thermarest pad to give it that "pillow top" feel that I have at home. Comes with a mattress cover that is removable for washing.
Zippers are heavy duty on both the doors and bug screens- they do keep out mosquitos.
With all three doors open you have great 270 degree views and ventilation.
Closing all the doors really keeps it dark inside which I appreciate.
Fit and finish are first rate.
Closing is quite easy- especially after getting a couple key tips from Jim and Chuck- upzip the doors a little so the air can escape when its coming down and pull the front down first so that the top actually comes down in front of the bottom. Then you just push it back and set the first clip on the top. After that it is just a matter of going to the other side and setting the other front clip, then going to the back and pulling down. Once you get the top down close to the bottom, you can grab the top with you hand and hold it so you can attach the first rear clip, go to the other side and attach the second rear clip. Finally you go around to all four clips and cinch them down, making sure to get the pit pins in the proper holes. After that you just drive away.

I took it out on the Dome Plateau road after leaving Moab. Pretty dusty and medium rough. No dust inside and not a rattle on either the RTT or the Rhino Rack.

I am completely sold- just have to convince the Princess that climbing down in the middle of the night won't be a big deal!!

IMG_0449[1].JPG

IMG_0447[1].JPG

Last edited:
Very nice. I'm happy to see some real competition in the hard shell tent market. Without it there's little reason to innovate. I like the idea of the elastic in the material to pull it in when you lower the top. How well does it work? Mine is fast, but walking around and tucking in the material twice on a tall rig is a slight hassle. I'm also impressed with the covers on the struts. Hopefully this eliminates pinch points on the material like in a few of the Air Tops.

My black JB is still sitting on the garage floor in its' box from OK. I hope to get it mounted this weekend to the Front Runner rack.

Good closing tips, as mine came with zero directions, just a QA signoff sheet.

My nit-pick is where the switch is to turn on/off the fan. Above the fan blade! WTF?

Elastic inside works great to pull it in when putting it down. There are two shock cords that attach across the inside when you put it down that need to be removed when you are using the tent- they need to find a place to be so they don't get misplaced. I have been putting them in one of the slots where the lift mechanism goes when the tent is down.
The turn off/on switch for the fan is above the fan blade. It's a little black switch that you just press.
The jury is still with the princess- she's tried it a couple of times just going up and down the ladder. Once the weather warms up I'll get her out for a night and see what the verdict is. Keep you fingers crossed for me!!

Yeah I know where the switch is. Behind a rotating fan blade! Poor design.

I'm curious to hear your feedback after you spend a couple nights in 25mph+ wind (seems to be typical of our NV, DV and UT explores). The Maggiolina was the only RTT I've owned that shrugged it off and stayed silent (due to being able to tension the side walls via cranked scissor lift).

The fan switch location: Precious! Obviously the design team at JB hadn't spent a night in it...lest a relocated power on/off switch; WTF?

Probably won't be spending any more nights in it. Don't think it would be noisy though since side are pretty taut and shouldn't flap or make noise. The next lucky owner will have to post that review.

^ I thought you just bought it no?

I guess the princess veto'ed it..

Probably won't be spending any more nights in it. Don't think it would be noisy though since side are pretty taut and shouldn't flap or make noise. The next lucky owner will have to post that review.

If you are looking to sell it, let me know. Based in Utah and up in PC fairly frequently. Looking for a RTT for my GX470. Thanks, Bob

Selling it- vetoed by her royal highness. Call me at eight oh one two oh one nine four nine three.

...via IH8MUD app

Yes you can Phil.

I'll add my .02 here, as I used mine for five nights up in UT a couple of weeks ago.

Pros:
  • Easy deploy, bedding setup and can be left inside when closed.
  • Solid ladder
  • Handy interior pockets
  • Nice firm mattress, never hit bottom even when sitting up.
  • Although the fan switch is in a poor location, the little sucker did a good job of moving just enough air and was not distracting when trying to go to sleep.
  • Walls taught and did not flap even in some heavy gusts we had on the last night on Hans Flat
  • Didn't seem to effect the 80 much while driving. Coming south from Tuba City I encountered the typical heavy cross winds and I was pleasantly surprised. Debating about just leaving it up there long term. Overall pretty low profile.
  • Included interior LED lamp worked great and is removable for charging and around camp use.
Cons:
  • Price, but all quality RTT aren't cheap.
  • Not easy for one person to get the front down to pre-latch position. Not sure if it gets easier with time/practice, but I'm going to have to make some more attempts here at home before I head out somewhere on my own and then get stuck! Once the two front latches are 'caught' but not locked, the rest is easy from the rear tailgate.
Other:
  • I met Jim Oostdyk who is the President of OK Auto, 4WD & Tire out of NJ at the Overland Expo in Flag just prior to the UT trip. They are the US distributors of JB. He came over and checked mine out as he wanted to see one mounted on a Front Runner rack and took some pics. I mentioned that I was worried that the periphery area of the bottom shell was resting on the rack. He actually spoke the next day with FR and sent me an email that they have a rubber insert that can be put into the groove on the rack. Thought it was nice of him to follow up on the issue and get back to me.
  • I'm 6'0" and had just enough length with pillow/bedding. If your taller than that you'd have to go more diagonal.
  • Two people? Maybe, it would be cozy. If I did that on a regular basis I'd probably opt for a second ladder for evening bio-breaks.
DSC_8389.jpg

I've been following along and have a question about sleeping two people. Oilbrnr, you said it would be cosy, meaning tight. I thought these type tents were made for two. My Wife and I are normal size, not heavy, could we fit in one. 6' and 5'

Thanks,

I think everyone's tolerance of comfortable space for sleeping two in these RTT's varies...and considerably. When we had our former Maggiolina Gran Tour, medium width, it was luxurious for me solo but when Sandy joined me, who's 5'2" and fairly petite, I found it survivable but not luxuriously comfortable.

But I have two other friends with small width Maggiolinas that sleep together with their spouses/SO and seem fine...

For my current Columbus, small width but extra long, I'd be hugging the outer tent wall with two aboard. If its raining that wouldn't be ideal...for me anyway ;)

Prior to getting into LC's and exploring, I was used to sleeping on 4 season tents (not so much any more) in foul weather, some times sharing a two person tent with two others.... We use the small/short columbus and it feels plenty roomy....and being able to sit up is a huge plus for us....
No complaints here.... but yeah everybody's comfort level and definition of luxurious is not the same..

Yeah, at this point in my life, I like my space. But as Phil points out, if i was with some hot new GF I could make an exception for a couple of nights. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom