Jack stand placement and lifting/raising cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tone33

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone have a write up or advice on best jack stand placement on an 80? My next project is to fix the parking brake (doesn't work at all) so I need to lift the rear. I know all the usual stuff - tire under side rail, chock wheels, engage CDL, level ground, after on stands push on truck to ensure it won't fall off when I'm under it.

I tried lifting under the rear axle with OEM bottle jack and placing jack stands underneath the side rails (where the frame meets them) but when I lower the jack the wheel goes back to the ground b/c of the suspension. So I'm guessing they need to go under the axles - anyone have pics of best placement?

Maybe this is a silly question but im a safety nut and would rather ask than not. I searched around on the forum but didnt find much info on it. Also could benefit others who have the same questions.

I am using 6T jack stands (6T each) and also have a 3T floor jack but not sure it'll get it high enough (20" height max) unless I'm under the diff - which will only lift one side anyway because it's off center.

Anytime you are working on brakes, suspension, etc you are going to want those jack stands out towards the end of the axles. Or, like you said, the suspension will settle out. If you are using a bottle jack I would only take off one side at a time as they do not have a stable enough foot print and can roll out.

thx for the replies. Here's what I ended up with.

ForumRunner_20120616_154456.jpg
ForumRunner_20120616_154456.jpg

Is this a real question, seriously?

Put them under the axle.

My question is this if you do not know how to properly jack up and support the truck do you really think you should be working on it?

Put them under the axle.

My question is this if you do not know how to properly jack up and support the truck do you really think you should be working on it?

lol...
Well, you gotta start somewhere. A stupid question is one that's not asked.

lift points

From the FSM.
lift points.jpg

Put them under the axle.

I've done my own vehicle maintenance for years, but never on a 5k lb truck. read a few stories here on mud about trucks falling on people. As I stated I'm a safety nut so was just asking the question.. Looks like I got some constructive feedback, both from a technical and a competance perspective, the latter of which may take me a while to rebuild my reputation for... lol.

Coming from a central Florida family (rednecks) I can say that grown men can and will jack up a car only to have it fall as soon as the tire(s) are off the axle.
I was wondering if this was a legit thread as well but hey, whatever helps the guy work on his rig!
I lift the axle at the pumpkins, slide a stand under each side, lower the jack until the axle rests on both stands and typically leave the jack in place with a small amount of pressure on the axle. 3 points of support.
Now get to work, tone!

Ignore the man behind the curtain...

Jack stands as pointed out go under axle out towards sides. If your work area has a slope put the front of the truck downhill and use substantial wheel chocks to prevent shifting.

Yes - any vehicle can fall and kill you - especially a Landcruiser because of the weight. Ask any questions that you need to and be careful.

The E brake is a PITA - or at least it is for me. Good luck.

I cant believe this thread is still alive
Either you know how to properly jack and support a vehicle or you dont
Either you have the proper tools to do so or you dont

Like I said if you have to ask for proper procedure you should not be doing it alone, if you are so concerned about safety, regardless if you have done all of your own maintenance on other vehicles before, especially if it is a heavy vehicle you are not familiar with.

No question is stupid, fine
But if you are questioning it should you be doing it alone

Fyi putting one tire under the side just incase wont do jack
Get the vehicle high enough to stack 2 under it if you can
Plus if it does come off the stand the tires might catch the rig but it wont catch the axle when the supsension becomes unsprung and slams into the floor

Last edited:
I've done my own vehicle maintenance for years, but never on a 5k lb truck. read a few stories here on mud about trucks falling on people. As I stated I'm a safety nut so was just asking the question.. Looks like I got some constructive feedback, both from a technical and a competance perspective, the latter of which may take me a while to rebuild my reputation for... lol.

Let me add my support: I can jack my old civic in a minute flat since I've owned it for 5 years, but my first time jacking the cruiser it took me at least half an hour to figure out how to safely lift it AND still have a solid place to put the supports - especially in the rear. For people with little experience with giant safari tanks, this stuff isn't necessarily obvious. The only dumb question is the one not asked. (Luckily I could ask my roommate, so I didn't need to risk my already-fragile nooby rep on the forums :))

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

I disagree. There are stupid questions. But the person who asks them should have been able to answer them without help.

There are no stupid safety related questions, I guess. when in doubt about something that might make a life or death difference, ASK.

SNIP
There are no stupid safety related questions, I guess. when in doubt about something that might make a life or death difference, ASK.

Much better to risk the ire of the knowledgeable than to be squashed prone under an 80.

These questions should not surprise us. Most folks drive low-slung, independent-suspension vehicles these days. While it's obvious what to do for us old farmboys, shadetree mechanics, etc, it's something than IS intimidating to those who've never dealt with something like an 80.:cheers:

Much better to risk the ire of the knowledgeable than to be squashed prone under an 80.

These questions should not surprise us. Most folks drive low-slung, independent-suspension vehicles these days. While it's obvious what to do for us old farmboys, shadetree mechanics, etc, it's something than IS intimidating to those who've never dealt with something like an 80.:cheers:

And I'm right there with 'em. I've driven only low-slung independent-suspension vehicles up until the cruiser.

But i did read the sticker on the factory screw jack.

Anytime I've tried to lift my 80 from the pumkins on the axles with my floorjack, I end up only raising one side of the truck off the ground as they are offset. Can I damage my axles by jacking from the axle tube in the center of the truck, beside the pumpkins? I'm guessing no, but I'd hate to find out differently the hard way.

You'd be fine jacking from any point on the housing. However unless you have a TALL jack you might not get enough lift to fit stands underneath.

Sorry I do not agree about working on the vehicle whilst is is facing up or down ANY slope, level ground only. Next, if you use the trolley type jack the ground must be smooth, as you jack the car up the trolley is supposed to move under, if the wheels are chocked and the trolley wheels dig in then you could end up with the car staying still and the jack slipping off from wherever you have placed it.

All due respect to the OP, read a little before you jack up the car, then read A LOT before you start working on the brakes.

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom