J10 Navigation problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi together,

I'm new to this board, so first of all I'd like to intorduce myself: my name is Dmitry (or Dimitry), born in Ukraine (former ex-Soviet Union), living in Germany. I'm driving the toyotas since 15 years - HJ60 (sold), K/LJ73 (broken apart), KDJ95 (current)
960.jpg

and now since couple of weeks I've became on owner of a HDJ100.
25152038_921300498046024_8292063882298267945_n.jpg

The J10 is in a good shape, has approx. 200TKm (125TMiles), with minor problems such as bit rusty frame, rusty tailgate and since couple of days - a non-working Navigation. In real life I'm a developer of navigation systems (f.ex. in modern BMW, Audi etc there some parts of my work) - so I can compare and know for sure, that the Navi in J10 is, let's say, "no more state of the art" :)
Nevertheless, I'd want the system to work properly now - even if i'm planning the conversion to non-Navi dash later.

Couple of weeks ago it was full functional, I was able to enter the address and start the guidance. Then I've seen some artifacts of the screen, as if the graphic card is faulty - but it continued to work properly. Artifacts disappeared, I drowe home and when I started the car next day - the navigation did not start anymore. If I press the three top left buttons (Voice, Dest, Menu) it just makes a beep and nothing happens. I've did a test with an engineering menu, soldered the pin 60 in the main unit, made a reset of the system - it doesn't help. The diag function shows that the navi has no problems,
20171210_140225.jpg

but if I go into the system menu and try to start the navigation test - it doesn't go into the test, just nothing happens. Same about nav-related functions in the Info menu - they exist (f.ex. maintenance, calender), but if I try to enter these - nothing happens.
20171210_140006.jpg

Sometimes, if I eject a NavDVD and then reinsert it - I get a picture with lot of artifacts, showing that the DVD is being loaded

20171210_135940.jpg

and then after a minute the screen becames black.
Unfortunately I have no possibility to get a refernce nav.unit to test and bying it is not an option - as I'we said, I would modify the dash to a non-navi version later, as soon as I find the climate controls from such car.

Is it possible somehow to check, if the navigation unit delivers a picture? I'm trying to locate if the problem is in nav.unit, wiring or HeadUnit. How should I proceed, do you have any hints / ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry

Dmitry,

Are you able to eject the Navi DVD from the disc reader. On our US versions its located underneath the right side passenger seat. Try to eject, inspect and reinsert the DVD. Maybe NAV ECU is not happy.

Yes, it's located in the same place. I've ejected the DVD yesterday - no scratches, no dust. I've also removed the Nav unit from its location and took the cover away - to check, that the lens is not dusty. Everything's clear and fine. But still doesn't work :)

20171210_132948.jpg

Last edited:
Well.. after studying the wiring diagrams and taking into account that the camera works fine - the problem is not located in MFD (navi is connected through the cam module, if I understand the wiring diagram correctly).
Having a closer look onto the picture with a digital garbage while loading the DVD - I understand that the wiring is not a root cause also, because the signal between Nav.unit and MFD is analog (RGB) and can not "generate" such digital noice.
Am I right?
Than the problem is located in the navigation unit, or in the cam module - going to take the Oscilloscope and have a look on sygnals before and after camera module.

Last edited:
Hi Dmitri, I think you are right that it's an issue with the navigation ECU or the wiring harness connecting it and the multifunction display unit (MFD). Since the noisy image is only showing up when you are trying to enter the nav related functions. But not when you are reversing, using radio controls, etc...

Also what is "MD-CH"? It says not connected. I skimmed, but couldn't find what it stood for in my paper FSM for my 2005.

I uploaded to google drive the international FSM for the 100/105! (it's quite large at ~ 250 mb). lc100-workshop-manual.pdf

Let me know if that doesn't work for you, I can try using another filesharing service.

This one has the more complete nav system diagonostic and even has info for all the variant engines covered. But, whoever scanned it, kind of has some pages out of order. So you have to hunt for things.

So based on your symptoms,

I would check out DI-256 to DI-258 (navigation ECU power circuit) pages 3438-3440, to rule out a bad chassis ground or blown NAV ECU fuse?

I would check out DI-270 to DI-272 (display signal circuit) pages 3452-3454, to rule out a short or issue with the wiring harness.

Great, thanks!
I've downloaded the doc, will test on weekend.

Alternatively I've found an old display M5000 used in VDO Navigation systems long ago - it should be theoretically able to display this RGBs signal coming out of the Navi unit - will give it a try also.

Well.. looks like the Nav.unit is broken.
I have tested with the external display from the VDO system - and can see the same behaviour and same defects in the picture.
I've used a heat gun and heated the navigation unit board - the artifacts are mostly gone, the picture is more or less clear, but it makes a cyclic reset while loading the DVD. Anf after couple of minutes as the board is cold again - same visual defects appear.
20171216_151142.jpg

Makes no sence to repair the unit further, I guess. Also makes no sence to search for a spare, since I want to change to a non-Navi version.

But before that I have now another urgent action item. The car doesn't start anymore :(
It simply died, while idling near my garage - and doesn't start anymore. No sound from the starter, no cluster insturment check when I turn on the ignition. Checked all fuses, but te car is still dead.
What a mess..

Oh no! What is your battery voltage?

Yah the integrated MFD is such a headache. I want to remove it, but it's so expensive to get all the bits to convert the A/C control over to push button / dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom