This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Anyone see the pics of the new 300 series Land Cruiser?

Interested in how y'all think about it? I like it, reminds me of the 60 series. However, no third pedal or diesel.

The new LC model for North America? It's not 300. IMO, it's ho hum... diluting the LC badge. 4cyl turbo hybrid. No split tailgate.

At least it can be ordered with cloth, center and rear lockers. Front end looks too much like a FJC to me in the 1958 version.

300 series did away with split tailgate too. The split tailgate is so useful for some many things.

I'm guessing it's basically a 4runner underneath, w/ a Land Cruiser badged body. Prado's/GX's have traditionally shared driveline components with the 4runner.

It would make for a nice daily, but nothing I would want to build or wheel.

I'm guessing it's basically a 4runner underneath, w/ a Land Cruiser badged body. Prado's/GX's have traditionally shared driveline components with the 4runner.

It would make for a nice daily, but nothing I would want to build or wheel.
I agree 100%. LC badge on a truck that's not over-engineered like LCs always have been. Don't love it, don't hate it. It will probably sell like hotcakes. I do think it could be built in similar fashion to a 4R, Bronco, etc. and tackle 80% of the trails most people would want to cover. Doubt it would ever do anything crazy without a LOT of mods. At least it's still body on frame and leaves potential for axle upgrades and such.

Looks very similar to the newly redesigned GX. I like the GX exterior better but the Land Cruiser interior better...go figure!

Have y'all seen the chassis pics of the new platform? It's more than a 4 runner underneath. Same platform is being shared by Tundra/GX/LX/LC and it looks pretty stout. Short of getting something along the lines 70 series this is about as good as we could have hoped within reason. I'm especially impressed they went as far as adding the electric locking dif and swaybar disconnect.

Personally I think the styling of the GX and LC are easily the best since the 80 series, it actually stands out among the crowd now. I do shed a tear for the loss of the split tailgate though.

Last edited:
All the new vehicle’s share the same platform .Trying to find out what is heavy duty (100/200) and what is medium duty (4runner). Are they all medium heavy duty now? No real answers that i can find. It looks ok.

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg

Have y'all seen the chassis pics of the new platform? It's more than a 4 runner underneath. Same platform is being shared by Tundra/GX/LX/LC and it looks pretty stout. Short of getting something along the lines 70 series this is about as good as we could have hoped within reason. I'm especially impressed they went as far as adding the electric locking dif and swaybar disconnect.

Personally I think the styling of the GX and LC are easily the best since the 80 series, it actually stands out among the crowd now. I do shed a tear for the loss of the split tailgate though.
Right. LCs traditionally went above and beyond that though. As Budbuilt once described it "when Toyota engineers spec'd a bolt on a truck, they'd add 2 more on a LC" This isn't that, I'm afraid. I totally get it and don't blame Toyota. The 200 series didn't sell well here in the US, so they found something that would and put the LC badge on it.

Time will tell but given how important reputation is to Toyota I still have faith the LC will live up to the heritage until proven otherwise. How can y'all dismiss something so quickly? Scared of the actually modern looking interior and styling?

I'm hoping they catch on like wild fires and dynatrac starts offering bolt on Dana 60s

Best looking cruiser since the 80 but again it's of the light duty model. Price is decent though for a brand new suv.

Time will tell but given how important reputation is to Toyota I still have faith the LC will live up to the heritage until proven otherwise. How can y'all dismiss something so quickly? Scared of the actually modern looking interior and styling?
I really like the styling, except the grill. But I never thought I would see the day a LC had a 4cyl hybrid turbo engine. The fact my 200 from '08 is more powerful, can tow a good bit more, and has more ground clearance gives me pause.

I really like the styling, except the grill. But I never thought I would see the day a LC had a 4cyl hybrid turbo engine. The fact my 200 from '08 is more powerful, can tow a good bit more, and has more ground clearance gives me pause.
Does the 200 have more ground clearance?
Yeah the grill isn't for me. I'm with Jon with liking the lexus exterior and yota interior more. Although I still think the lexus grill is a bit too much.

This or the new GX will be my wife's next car (she has a 2020GX now). I love the previous LC and also love the new LX but the capabilities don't really fit my needs. While it would technically tow our center console, it's at the top end of the tow specs and it would probably struggle to tow my 24' car trailer. A GM based full-sized SUV would tow both more comfortably but then they are larger than my wife wants to drive daily. So I keep a 3/4 ton pickup as my daily and she gets either the GX or now the new LC...win either way in my book!

An aftermarket bumper like an arb or equivalent will look awesome. Tuck right up on the sides and take the place of the front driving light area.

This or the new GX will be my wife's next car (she has a 2020GX now). I love the previous LC and also love the new LX but the capabilities don't really fit my needs. While it would technically tow our center console, it's at the top end of the tow specs and it would probably struggle to tow my 24' car trailer. A GM based full-sized SUV would tow both more comfortably but then they are larger than my wife wants to drive daily. So I keep a 3/4 ton pickup as my daily and she gets either the GX or now the new LC...win either way in my book!

I’m in the same boat. The new GX may replace my 100 for daily duty. I’m excited to drive both though.

Does the 200 have more ground clearance?
Yeah the grill isn't for me. I'm with Jon with liking the lexus exterior and yota interior more. Although I still think the lexus grill is a bit too much.
Yep, just a tad. I will say I think, stress think, 2" lift will accommodate 35's. They appear to have nice wheel wells much like an 80.

If I'm being honest, at my recent level of offroad activites (nearly zero) I would probably enjoy the hell out of one of these puppies. However, I'm a sucker for a V8 and love the powertrain in my 200. I simply can't understand why they didn't make the LC different by doing the traditional split tailgate (on this or the 300). It's a signature feature.

I really dig the cloth seats, but apparently they don't offer heating or cooling in those. I'll never buy another daily without cooled seats unless I leave NC, lol.

I wonder what the offroad mileage test was on the 2.4 turbo hybrid. Seems like a lot of things to fail.

So what happens to the 4runner now? If the new LC appears to be based on the same platform as the GX, which the 4runner is now...perhaps the 4runner is dead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom