Is this even repairable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a pretty decent PS leak since I bought this truck and I finally decided to figure out where it was coming from. It was easier than expected, you can see it from above the tire. The problem is, there is some kind of ball check on the steering box itself and the fluid is leaking from around the ball. The case next to the ball is pretty badly smashed, looks like someone either dropped the box at some point or hit it with a hammer. Is this repairable or should I just throw in the towel and order a new power steering box?

20210614_214054.jpg

That ball is supposed to just seal the hole....clean it up well and JB Weld it. :)
I guess it can't hurt to try, Im just curious if it will hold back the high pressure oil. Will report back with my findings.

I'd source a replacement from a wreck. Keep that one on the shelf in case you need it in the future.
Im gonna try the JB weld thing and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna do this. Thanks for your input

are you certain that the leak is from that spot? When I was chasing the location of a PS leak on mine I thought it was coming from a few different places before I found the real source.
Yeah I had my friend turn the wheel while the truck was running and you could see it gushing out

As much oil is there, clean it first and make absolutely sure. You will have to do it before using JB anyway. Many reasons to clean an engine, not many (if any) good ones not to. Take it out to get steam cleaned. Tracking down a leak is so much easier and it is always nicer to work on a clean rig.

As much oil is there, clean it first and make absolutely sure. You will have to do it before using JB anyway. Many reasons to clean an engine, not many (if any) good ones not to. Take it out to get steam cleaned. Tracking down a leak is so much easier and it is always nicer to work on a clean rig.
If you're going to take it out, replace it with a used unit that doesn't leak.

Odds are, whatever you slobber on there will not be able to withstand internal pressure and it will blow it out on short order.

Just start shopping for a used unit now.

@slow95z @arcteryx

no used ones here. all mine are packed up and headed to GSMTR. sold every single one of them.

are you certain that the leak is from that spot? When I was chasing the location of a PS leak on mine I thought it was coming from a few different places before I found the real source.
Yeah I had a friend turn the wheel while the truck was running and could literally watch the oil spew out. There could be more than 1 leak for all I know, but that one is severe.

center punch dead center of the ball. The box being dropped caused the hole to elongate. Center punch the ball will displace enough material to seal the leak.

Dont go gorilla on it BTW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom