Is it possible to do a $0 2F--3B swap in a 40? Follow along and see! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure at this stage if I will run the stock fj wiring or fit a full hj45 harness. I brought a PTO cable if I go with the fj wiring so fuel pump would be manually operated and then a new circuit for the glow plugs would be added. I also have the complete wiring harness from a hj45 I wrecked. They both have their advantages so I still need to work out what way I'm going.

Last edited:
Ok, a little more progress tonight! Fenders both off, only snapped 4 of the 8 bolts holding to the frame... They should be fun to get out!
image.jpg

Looking good
I was spraying WD40 around every bolt I could find for three months before attempting to undo anything. I was happy to start collecting parts and crawl around under the truck every weekend with the WD

Last edited:
ha, ha, WD40/PB-Blaster are my friends and sometimes a bit of heat assuming its in an area that the torch can get to ... hmmm, looks like the 40 was originally red per the firewall ... nice shop ...
:cheers:

Well, not making near the progress I wanted to on this, but eating the elephant one bite at a time I guess. Started on the body mount bolts, what a pain in the rear. Forward most two started to loosen, but just spin now, and can't quite grab the top with anything. Second two back came out like a dream. 3rd set back are not budging, and 4th set is a 50/50. One came out with a bit of a fight, and the other side is just spinning.

So, those who have experienced it, which of the following methods would best suit the removal of the ones fighting..

1) torch the heads off
2) sawzall through the bolt
3) use a grinder to take the heads off (hard)
4) drill the heads off (hard on the ones that are spinning)

Guess I should order a body mount kit... Any suggestions?

Did manage to get the rad drained and the exhaust off!

ha, ha, WD40/PB-Blaster are my friends and sometimes a bit of heat assuming its in an area that the torch can get to ... hmmm, looks like the 40 was originally red per the firewall ... nice shop ...
:cheers:
Nope, that's rust!

Reactions: SAS
Well, progress has been slow, but so far nothing spent on engine swap parts..... I have however decided that since I'm getting into it (yeah, that's how it starts right?) I ordered some new sheet metal. Since the body is coming off now is the time to do this...

Got the remainder of the body mounts cut today, used a sawzall. Worked well except where the rubber was pinching the blade. I found that if I could put slight upward pressure on the body this often relieved this and allowed for a quick easy cut. Also got the following disconnected;

Front brake line at frame
Rear brake line at frame
Clutch line at flex line
Speedo cable
Rear light wiring
Steering flex joint
Fuel lines at frame/tank connection
Upper and lower rad hoses

Now arrived;
New front fenders
New rear quarters
3m sealant
Fender bolt kit
New pedal pads for brake and clutch
New clutch master. (And now that it has arrived, I found the box from SOR I ordered about 5 years ago with the clutch master, slave and boot kit)
Monstaliner colour chips (desert sand, sans panties, j**p spice, medium quartz grey, johnny popper)
Body mount kit en-route

Left to disassemble before body off;
Throttle linkage
Parking brake cable
Fuel level sender wire
Cab coolant lines at firewall

Still need to order;
Chassis Saver paint
Monstaliner colour chips for "envy" and "jungle love"

Eating an elephant one bite at a time here...

Subscribed got to keep watching this.

I am a fan of heat and pb blaster...wrenched off the head of the T-stat housing on the 40 that holds it to the block. Soaked it with pb blaster and then put a torch to it, let it cool down and came back and soaked it again and torched it, did this a few times and then clamped a set of vice grips on it and it came right out. The heat "pushed" the pb into the threads more.

Subscribed!

Hey CruisinTiger - I do the same but find that heating first, then shooting PB on the inner part works great. I think this method uses the PB to cool the inner part slightly, opening a tiny micro-crack for it to soak into.

I don't know what's in PB blaster, but man does it ever work!!!

Well, got a little further - shafts removed and managed to get the engine/tranny/xfer out today....

Probably going to spend a little extra time and address some rust in the back corners of the frame. Seems to be a common problem as all the parts are available.

Made a template for shifter and firewall location so I can get the 3B location close. Once it's close I'll drop the body on for exact positioning.

image.jpg

Handy diesel powered engine puller.. :cD

image.jpg

I'm surprised the 3b doesn't just drop onto some of the existing mounts. My diesel H engine went straight in after replacing the rear right hand engine mount. I wish I had a diesel powered engine lifter like yours. :)

iphone5 001.JPG

iphone5 003.JPG

Hmm, looks like the H has the mounts on the bell housing, or back of the block... I believe my rear mounting point is the transmission crossmember... Guess I need to rip the heart out of the 60 to find out!

Moving day! 40 tub and chassis out of the way for the 60 to go in. Figured this was kind of the last chance to get a pic of them all together...

FJ40/BJ60/BJ70/FZJ80

image.jpg

Rigged up a little "frame cleaner" today... Worked pretty well on the crusty junk inside the frame rails!

4 pieces of TIG rod twisted together with the ends bent out. Nice and flexy.

Decided to break the trend of greasy wrenching for a night.... Washed the 80 instead. Wish my iPhone had a @jcardona1 filter...

image.jpg

Ok folks, I feel like I owe you an update!

Things have been busy for the last little bit, and I have not had a chance to get much done on the swap. Catching up on stuff that has been needing to be done around the house, like a full on re-stain and clear of all the exterior, and building a new deck out back - both of which are about year overdue. Now, with those out of the way it's back to Cruisers!!

First the deck, since we all know if I don't post pics, it didn't happen... 16'x 16' PTP... That's a lot of screws, but worth it in the end!
image.jpg

Next I broke out my latest Monstaliner chips, and compared them to what's already on the truck. Jungle Love, and Envy... Obviously this is not part of the diesel conversion, but as you know with one thing leading to the next, this is next...

So, looks to me like Jungle Love (the darker one) is a pretty close match to what's on the outside right now.
image.jpg

But, under the hood it seems that Envy is the better match for the original. So now another decision. I hadn't planned on doing any painting on the inside, and the firewall and underside will be black with chassis saver, so using Jungle Love would allow me to do that and not have to paint the interior, but I think the Envy looks better! This is going to take some deep thought.

image.jpg

So, to make some forward progress on the project, it's time to start pulling the heart out of my 60. Figured I'd start with a before pic, but I didn't figure that until I had already started, so I guess this is a bit more of an "almost before" pic.. (Just missing one headlight fairing and turn signal.)

Bit of a sad day tearing this apart - I've enjoyed a lot of miles in this truck, plenty of adventures and met lots of good people, but it's reached the end of its useful life for me. For a long time I had considered finding a southern 60 shell and swapping everything over. Never really formulated, and since I had the 40, well... That just made sense. I hate to take apart a classic, but knowing that the heart transplant is going to give new life to my other cruiser, and hopefully some of the other parts can help keep other cruisers on the road, well, I guess the legend will live on.

image.jpg

So, got the hood off, all intake, the turbo and intercooler hoses off, rad, shroud, and fan off. Power steering is disconnected, throttle cable and linkages are removed and secure on the engine. Batteries, fuse block and ground buss are out, alternator electrically disconnected along with the vac pump, oil pressure gauge and EDIC switch wiring, temp gauges unplugged, pyro and boost gauges are disconnected as well.

What's left before I un-bolt the mounts? Drive shafts, veggie and diesel lines, and the coolant connections to the heater. Pull the shifters, speedo cable, tach connection, EDIC and starter wiring.... And I'm sure a whack of stuff I have forgotten.

image.jpg

On the bright side, my white Monstaliner (for the roof) is here, my new suspension bushings are here, and so are the new body mounts. And, since I haven't been actually doing work on the truck, I have been ordering stuff.... Gallon of Chassis saver on the way, and disturbingly, Cruiser Corps decided to put a bunch of stuff on sale... So now I have a new weatherstrip for the windshield top, kick vent seals, full set of lug nuts, hood hinge gaskets and two battery hold down kits.

However, the best news of all is that I have located a "new" rear crossmember and corner gussets for my frame, gotta love Mud classifieds! Even better than that, a friend/co-worker/fellow mud member is passing through the area as I type this and will pick it up and mud ship it home! Psyched!

More to come soon....

Last edited:
Interesting project, loved seeing all the cruiser parts and Obviously the cruisers you own !
Oh yes, love that garage too. Good Luck the new "used" Cross member ;)

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom