Wanted Iron Pig Wanted / FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am on the hunt for a FJ55. I have a 40 and the 55 is more friendly for my family. I plan to use it for camping, hunting (yes we can still buy a hunting rifle in California), fishing (yes there is still water in California)

If anyone is interested in selling one, your neighbor has one for sale or can point me in the right direction, please let me know.

I have seen the current ones for sale on eBay, Craigslist, etc. I am trying to balance the total project pig to the I am about to get raped on the price pigs and just trying to find something solid for a fair price. I saw the one on eBay in Texas that just sold and someone snatched it right out from under me. The owner told me he had it for sale for $10,600 on his lot and it was super clean.

I am really hoping the mud community can help me in my quest to find that perfect pig.

I am on the hunt for a piggie!

Last edited:
I am on the hunt for a FJ55. I have a 40 and the 55 is more friendly for my family. I plan to use it for camping, hunting (yes we can still buy a hunting rifle in California), fishing (yes there is still water in California)

If anyone is interested in selling one, your neighbor has one for sale or can point me in the right direction, please let me know.

I have seen the current ones for sale on eBay, Craigslist, etc. I am trying to balance the total project pig to the I am about to get raped on the price pigs and just trying to find something solid for a fair price. I saw the one on eBay in Texas that just sold and someone snatched it right out from under me. The owner told me he had it for sale for $10,600 on his lot and it was super clean.

I am really hoping the mud community can help me in my quest to find that perfect pig.

I am on the hunt for a piggie!

Well when I am finished with my pig and your still look I will let you have first crack at it, and I am not looking for crazy numbers either.

Wish you luck socaloffroad. I will continue to post listings that I find, but you are probably best off locating a pig from an ih8mud member and even better if they have posted their build on the site (like Project Rusty Gold) so you can see what you are getting in detail.

Have no doubt. Pigery loves company.

Inherent to all is imperfection and in that is where perfection lies, but kinda like a woman, it takes getting to know both the good and bad to begin to appreciate.

Asked like a junkie might a Sunday schooler, stilldressed in the best:

Are you sure you wanna do this?

There is no cure for swine flu, only periods where the symptoms wane.

So it would appear I’m the only one of the three of us that was able to build a 55 and keep it in the $5K range.

Socaloffroad, 55’s are fun and rewarding but it’s doubtful you’ll find that perfect pig in the 10K range but if that’s your budget like Lil’jon said “find and buy someone else's good shape or unfinished project and make your perfect pig, there’s plenty unfinished pigs out there and if I were in the market I would look for something that has good bones (read unpainted with minimal rust) and good glass/rubber, this buy its self will cut your build budget in half.

Good luck and post lots of picture when you find something!!

hidden cost pile behind the wood shed...

wow, thank you guys so much for the feedback! I will try to reply to each member here in order

SHMac: thanks for continuing to post and thanks for the advice of posting a wanted ad in this section, man I would love to buy another members pig, especially if its been documented, I was really tempted to buy Razilla as I had seen it advertised, just seemed a little pricy, I wasnt sure if that was a good price or not and now I believe its sold

Delancey: I totally feel like a junky lol, up all night trying to find a pig, trying to find good sources for parts, reading through all of the members builds, its horrible, I dont think the question is do I really want to do this, I have already been infected and now looking for a cure haha

D'Animal: I am open to really anything as long as price is fair and price reflects the condition, I have just missed 2 really good opportunities, one was a 1971 and it sold for $5500 locally in West Covina

1971.png

I also missed the one on eBay, a 1973, I even talked to the owner 48 hours before the auction ended and he told me that he would sell it to me for whatever the highest bid was at the time of 24 hours left. He told me to call him the next day and I checked the auction that night and the auction was closed. Called the guy and he said someone came and bought it, they had it on their lot for $10,600.

1973.png

Both of those were great opportunities and I just was barely too late on both. I do believe that you can find the right pig out there for the right price, but it will take some patience and you guys that have pigs know that once you have the sickness, it is very hard to be patient.

Lil'John: Thanks for all of the advice. I think I would be shooting for the middle range #2 or #3. I did not know the rubber costs 2K+!

Lambcrusher: thanks I have seen these, I aint scared yet lol

Bobm: I am going for it man!

JMack: thanks for the advice, I will definitely post pics when i find one

scrapdaddy: thats funny

I do have a buddy that owns a body and repair shop so if I need help I am sure he could help me.

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.31.50 PM.png

Everyone gives great advice and good luck with the pig hunt. The green/white above had massive roof rust along the gutter. If you can still view the pictures, take a close look.

Good eye xtremeVA

Quick question to the community here. I know several of you have said it is hard to source parts for these. I noticed that some will come with factory AC some dont, some will have a heater, some dont, is it hard to find the climate control parts like heater and AC?

All have front and rear heaters stock (whether they work or not is a different matter). AC was a later option. Seems like factory AC is quite hard to find. I just took a leaky rear heater core to my rad shop, and they said it would cost north of $200 to fix it, and it's a tiny leak!

For reference, I recently purchased a 55 with good bones, has been built, etc. for a healthy chunk of change, and I will be putting a few $K towards it to get it where I want it.

No one has said this yet (maybe it's heresy in this foruM), but if you're looking for the family function of a 55, you may consider a 60. If you've got $10k to play with, you can get a freakin' amazing 60 with that! Maybe even diesel ;)

I've owned both a 40 and a 60
in the past, but I am infatuated (infected?) by the 55s. So, if it is a 55 you must have, I get it!

Ferntucky hit the head of the nail, I'm afraid. I am an fj55er till I die, but I have been having this affair with my wifes fj62, and I'b be lying if I said I didn't love all three of them...your Body shop buddy will become your new BFF if you let him have it. More power to you if you can afford to save another one...I must admit, FJ62 is prolly the best TLC, but I am a middle of the road kind of guy...

I remember when 60s came out, I was so disappointed. I thought Toyota really dropped the ball in the looks department. Like they sold out to the modern look. But anyway, it depends on your tolerance level with putting up with hardships. Noise, water leaks, ac, power steering, RUST, all can be dealt with time and money. For me, it was just the body style, I changed everything else to suit my comfort level for traveling and got a little carried away. :) It's not an easy decision to make, having a love affair with a 55! Sometimes you have no choice.

Ferntucky: I have been keeping my eye on this as well saw a few real nice 60's go in the 10K range recently and saw one turbo diesel with a sunroof go in the same range by a mud member. I am open to it but I really like old vehicles, just the style and look.

Lambcrusher: haha you said you are having a love affair

Scrapdaddy: do you have a build thread? I would like to see some of the things you did to make your comfortable. It will really be a camping, outdoors type of rig so I am not to concerned. I had an old jeep Wagoneer that I recently sold that I used for those purposes and it had no heat, no AC, and it was so loud we had a hard time talking in it. If it's any better than that we are in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom