iPad vs CarPlay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 2013 LX 570 and love it. I am very connected in the Apple ecosystem and love the idea of CarPlay but after looking, the options seem to be from Grom, NAVIKS, and Beat Sonic (it seems like the cheaper chinese models are only for 2014 and up). I've done a lot of reading, and from what I can tell the Beat Sonic is probably the best one. But for $700, what am I really gaining over just using an iPad for maps, etc? Has anyone done the comparison or used either? Is there something that you just love that only CarPlay offers? And if CarPlay is worth it at such a high price, is Beat Sonic indeed the best one? I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank You

The biggest reason to stick with Carplay is the simplistic user input to help keep your eyes on the road.

A 3rd option you haven't listed here is the Carplay dash units that are readily available for 100-$200. If i didn't already have a GROM, i'd go this route.

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 2013 LX 570 and love it. I am very connected in the Apple ecosystem and love the idea of CarPlay but after looking, the options seem to be from Grom, NAVIKS, and Beat Sonic (it seems like the cheaper chinese models are only for 2014 and up). I've done a lot of reading, and from what I can tell the Beat Sonic is probably the best one. But for $700, what am I really gaining over just using an iPad for maps, etc? Has anyone done the comparison or used either? Is there something that you just love that only CarPlay offers? And if CarPlay is worth it at such a high price, is Beat Sonic indeed the best one? I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank You
Great question. I too am contemplating these two alternatives.

Maybe it’s the method of mounting? How would you situate the iPad?

And an IPad is certainly much more versatile than an installed system.

I love my grom vline, it's been rock solid and totally improved user experience of driving a truck with 2008-era tech. As others pointed out, glance-ability is super important to keep you out of the ditch. I wouldn't personally consider a hard mounted ipad as a replacement.

Great question. I too am contemplating these two alternatives.

Maybe it’s the method of mounting? How would you situate the iPad?

And an IPad is certainly much more versatile than an installed system.
Following because I would love to somehow connect an IPad. Even a hard mount would be great.

Why not both? 🤣
IMG_6095.jpeg

at least I would head for a simple double-din radio. Good enough for nearly everything and easy to install.

Why not both? 🤣
View attachment 3429037
at least I would head for a simple double-din radio. Good enough for nearly everything and easy to install.
Always a comedian!

Sadly,I did just google Double-Din and it looks like they don’t make a radio for the 2016+.

I used the iPad Pro with cellular over the screen with magnetic case and magnetic charging. Splitscreen with maps and musing plus layover iMessage, WiFi calling, etc. I did this for a few years and while the capabilities were the best, 3 things made me shift. First in summer days the iPad would get too hot and go to sleep. 2nd, magnetic usb c chargers tend to fade and had to replace several times, eventually the item was discontinued. Lastly, backing up and making use of the camera while off-roading was also an Inconvenience having to flip over the iPad to view the stock screen, same with adjusting settings like a/c…
I would also pick beatsonic to integrate, but I was never sold on that option because I still would like to for example have the truck on 4Lo with the cameras on and view the trail on X at the same time…
inspired by the LX600 dual screen I went with the Roadtop unit and never looked back…
here is my old iPad setup
IMG_0040.jpeg

here is Roadtop… I’m on 2nd gen now… routed the cable through the speaker grill and had it connected to a switch…
IMG_0923.jpeg
IMG_0926.jpeg
IMG_0927.jpeg

@jefo13

Is there a specific model youd recomend of the roadtop for a 2017 LC? How was the wiring?

8.9” but 8.8” works just fine… 8.9” has a faster processor, fanless smaller bezels and better screen and no speaker. There is a full thread about these…
I had the switch installed by an auto sound place, $80. The switch is next to the camera switch… I routed the cable myself, it’s pretty easy following any YouTube on how to breakdown the pieces.
The important setup element is to connect the phone to the Land Cruiser and to the RT, do t connect the RT to the LC… the only defect you may find is that some times the sound does not come to the LC, just pause and play with the LC switch and the music will play normally… phone call work flawlesly this way because it’s handled by the Land Cruiser but you get to also control the from CarPlay.

I hope this helps.

I used the iPad Pro with cellular over the screen with magnetic case and magnetic charging. Splitscreen with maps and musing plus layover iMessage, WiFi calling, etc. I did this for a few years and while the capabilities were the best, 3 things made me shift. First in summer days the iPad would get too hot and go to sleep. 2nd, magnetic usb c chargers tend to fade and had to replace several times, eventually the item was discontinued. Lastly, backing up and making use of the camera while off-roading was also an Inconvenience having to flip over the iPad to view the stock screen, same with adjusting settings like a/c…
I would also pick beatsonic to integrate, but I was never sold on that option because I still would like to for example have the truck on 4Lo with the cameras on and view the trail on X at the same time…
inspired by the LX600 dual screen I went with the Roadtop unit and never looked back…
here is my old iPad setup
View attachment 3431211
here is Roadtop… I’m on 2nd gen now… routed the cable through the speaker grill and had it connected to a switch…
View attachment 3431214View attachment 3431215View attachment 3431216
I went through the exact same progression!

I love my grom vline, it's been rock solid and totally improved user experience of driving a truck with 2008-era tech. As others pointed out, glance-ability is super important to keep you out of the ditch. I wouldn't personally consider a hard mounted ipad as a replacement.
Could you link to what you have? Would love to upgrade my 2008 LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom