Intermittent starting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 FZJ80 1FZ-FE serial number JT3DJ81W0P0012034 280k miles

Dear Land Cruiser geniuses. I have searched the forums for days. Try not to jump down my throat about using the search bar. I throw myself on the mercy of the court! I have been fighting this issue for years!

Maybe it starts, maybe it won’t. Doesn't matter if it is hot or cold. Just keep trying, wiggling wires, tapping the starter, waiting, eventually it will start. It runs perfect once it starts! I am at my wits end. There is a definite click when you turn the key. I got under and looked for the neutral safety switch and didn’t see the connector that others described. The problem exists whether it is in neutral or park. I am kind of a purist about keeping the Land Cruiser stock so I am reluctant to add the relay that some have suggested. I never failed to start for 250 thousand miles. I want to get back to that!

Currently...
New Denso starter- number 3
New ignition switch
Cleaned and checked the ground to engine block
Cleaned and checked the fusible link
New Battery charged and tested

The car does have the stock alarm that came from the dealer. Toyota security. Some have suggested that is the culprit.

Slight wrinkle, due to the pandemic I do not have another person to help me test this.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replace the fusible link entirely. It’s cheap enough. Worth it just to rule it out.

search "Ford solenoid"

Which factory alarm do you have? Mine ('94) had a Rostrov (?) unit. This was installed under the dash compared to the RS unit which was under the seat. My unit went faulty and the symptoms were intermittent no start and intermittent blasting of the horn. Ripped it out and never looked back.

Which factory alarm do you have? Mine ('94) had a Rostrov (?) unit. This was installed under the dash compared to the RS unit which was under the seat. My unit went faulty and the symptoms were intermittent no start and intermittent blasting of the horn. Ripped it out and never looked back.
I have the unit under the drivers seat. Thanks!

Did you lose the ability to unlock with the remote?

I ended up fitting an Avital unit with remote start as well. Well worth it.

I would look into changing the wiring to and from the ignition switch. That is more than likely the culprit since you have changed all the other. On an 18 year old vehicle the wiring can degrade to a point that it does not allow enough voltage/amps to engage the solenoid. I personally believe it to be undersized leading to this issue which seems to be common problem with most early 80 series. I chose not to go that route and have installed Ford solenoids on the 3 cruisers I work on and haven't experienced a no crank issue since. Prior to I was rebuilding starter solenoids and or changing starters at least once every 6 months.

We have solved the issue. (I think) It just started ten times in a row.
I removed the factory alarm system.
Thank you for the help and the awesome write up with pictures!
Replace the fusible link anyway; like the HCV, they get brittle and fail with age.

Bypass the stock wiring from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and put a relay in there... for some reason it seems to degrade and causes the same issues you are experiencing. Seen it on 2 80s

Bypass the stock wiring from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and put a relay in there... for some reason it seems to degrade and causes the same issues you are experiencing. Seen it on 2 80s

I had to do this to my 1985 Toyota truck back in the day. Solved the starting problem. Didn’t know the 80’s can have the same problem. Although I have to realize the 80’s are not spring chickens now days.

Happy to have this removed! I feel like I removed an alien!
gack.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom