Intermittent power loss 22re (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 85 4runner with a 22re. The engine was supposedly rebuilt 10,000 miles ago with engnbldr parts and their 261 (crawler) cam. All new toyota cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter… at the time of rebuild. It ran great up until a few months ago when I started having intermittent power loss. One day my truck would barely pull a hill in 3rd that it used to have no problem pulling in 4th. The next day it world run good as new. Now (three months later), it’s always slow and my gas mileage has gone to s***. The only other symptom I’m having is it acts like it hits a rev limiter at 4200rpm with any load on the engine. In neutral it will rev as high as I want. It always starts right up, runs smooth and doesn’t throw any codes.

This video was taken on a flat road in 1st with my foot to the floor.

Since I started having problems…
I installed a set of fuel injectors that were cleaned/balanced by whitchhunter.
Replaced the O2 sensor. The voltage jumps across the test plug weren’t within spec with the original O2 sensor.
Swapped the AFM with one from my 85 celica that’s in good running shape.
The TPS is within the FSM spec.
The timing is 5 BTDC with the test plug jumped.

I’m making a 350 mile trip Friday afternoon. It would be great if I can get this figured out before then. Thanks for any help.

check what your timing should be with the new cam and toss a light on there just to rule that one out too.

I swapped the computer from my 85 celica. Its a different part number but the 4runner still runs the same.
I'm going to try swapping the fuel pump tomorrow morning.

Its run great for 8,000 miles with the timing at the factory 5 BTDC.

I swapped the computer from my 85 celica. Its a different part number but the 4runner still runs the same.
I'm going to try swapping the fuel pump tomorrow morning.

Its run great for 8,000 miles with the timing at the factory 5 BTDC.

When this happens, does it happen if you shut it off and restart?
Can you check fuel pressure when it is failing?

Does it sound like a misfire? When it's humid Flea will do this. (Cap was wet inside)

I pulled the fuel pump and there wasn’t anything blocking the screen. I swapped it out with a spare I had sitting around. The 4runner still runs the same.

I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge. Recently it happens every time I drive the 4runner. The weather and shutting it off don't effect anything.

I'm dealing with hesitation some times. Sometimes I fire my 86 22re up and it runs like a champ. Other times I fire it up and I cant even make it out of my driveway its bogging out so bad.

I'm dealing with hesitation some times. Sometimes I fire my 86 22re up and it runs like a champ. Other times I fire it up and I cant even make it out of my driveway its bogging out so bad.
As previously said, it's probably pump related. In mtntoys it was the wiring. In my case it's been the pump. You can get Denso aftermarket at Rockauto.com.

As previously said, it's probably pump related. In mtntoys it was the wiring. In my case it's been the pump. You can get Denso aftermarket at Rockauto.com.
Yes I'm going to figurecoutca way to test the fuel pressure. I also want to check my 02 sensor. I had installed a header from lc engineering and did there 4 wire 02 sensor 6 mo ago I want to make sure that's working correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom