Intermittent BRAKE Dash Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My BRAKE light on the dash has been coming on occasionally. It seems to happen randomly during bumps, braking, and hard acceleration.

I thought it was the switch on the Parking Brake, so I unplugged it. The condition continues.

What other things can cause the light to come on? I didn't think it would be ABS related.

Thanks for the input.

Low fluid level in the master cylinder.

X2 with @jfz80.
Additionally, you want to check the thickness of your brake pads (our 80 series are notorious for "eating" , relatively speaking, front brake pads)
Cheers

Is the brake light bright or dim? The sensor went bad on my LX and dimly lit my brake light on the dash. I unplugged the connector on the reservoir cap and voila... no more dash light. I am a big boy and can check the brake fluid level the old fashioned way like the peasants check it.

Thanks guys. Just checked the brake reservoir and it was right at the "low" line. Filled it up and hopefully that solves it.

Now I just need to figure out where that brake fluid went...

My brake light came on last week intermittently too. I topped up the rez and the light is back on already. Comes and goes.
One time last week I pulled the parking brake lever a few clicks while driving and the light went off when I released it. The pads are low but still have some life left.

We just did this:
My brake light came on last week intermittently too. I topped up the rez and the light is back on already. Comes and goes.
One time last week I pulled the parking brake lever a few clicks while driving and the light went off when I released it. The pads are low but still have some life left.

Dead simple system: It's either the handbrake sensor or the master cylinder sensor.

Unplug to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom