Interest in Rimrocker, Mid July? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks - I'm late planning summer travel. To much stuff going on.
So I pulled up some maps this morning and started looking around, and Rimrocker caught my eye.

What do you folks know about it? I'm thinking mid July, maybe depart 13th (Wednesday) or 14th and plan on 3+ days on the trail and side trips, returning Sunday the 17th.

Any interest?

It’s basically some dirt roads linked together from Montrose to Moab. Pretty cool country though.

It’s basically some dirt roads linked together from Montrose to Moab. Pretty cool country though.
Yea, I'm not necesarily looking for hardcore wheeling for this - more family camping trip.
Other suggestions welcome as well.

I have done the Moab>Montrose direction and it was really nice. I recommend it either way. Plenty of camping. I pulled my TD trailer the entire way too. You get everything from hot lower elevations to good high altitude views.

I have done the Moab>Montrose direction and it was really nice. I recommend it either way. Plenty of camping. I pulled my TD trailer the entire way too. You get everything from hot lower elevations to good high altitude views.

I'd probably pull my trailer also. Any recommendation on E->W vs W->E? I'm thinking probably best to avoid Moab end on the weekend, but maybe it doesn't matter much.

I'd probably pull my trailer also. Any recommendation on E->W vs W->E? I'm thinking probably best to avoid Moab end on the weekend, but maybe it doesn't matter much.
Yeah, I would probably avoid Moab too. I did it starting in Moab simply because I had already been in Canyonlands for a week.

Medicine lake near Mt Peal is a good place to camp.

Yes, I'm interested!
Cool - talked things over with my wife tonight and was reminded of something on her calendar - so looks like the following week is better for us.

Reactions: SAS
We'd be all over this if we could.
Take good pics!

Drove up to Medicine lake to have lunch today.

9485C391-D2F9-43C9-BD89-A50DC4B71A64.jpeg

0F299BBD-508C-4AAC-8A2D-F3356CF006D1.jpeg

99C40FF1-CFA5-4ADC-AE4F-825B955A09CF.jpeg

B1A88164-C61C-452E-9AC2-E2FE076AB58D.jpeg

979D2DBB-B40F-49B0-A540-082542F12B4A.jpeg

Ran Rimrocker from Moab to Uravan last Wednesday - Thursday then bailed for higher elevations/cooler temps in the San Juans Friday & Saturday. It was damn hot!

Truck did great on the highway & moderate offroad, but still having that low range shifting problem which turned us back on Imogene & Ophir. Even with manual shifting, it won't stay in 1st gear, so was running out of power & risked burning up the trans on the really steep high altitude stuff. Gotta figure that out.

rimrocker_0.jpg

rimrocker_1.jpg

rimrocker_20220722.jpg

San Miguel river near Uravan town site. If you're in the area, there's a nice free campground (Ball Park Campground) right on the river.
rimrocker_5.jpg
rimrocker_3.jpg
rimrocker_6.jpg

We found a really nice campsite up near Mt Sneffells that i'll definitely go back to next time i'm in the area. We actually camped lower down at a wide spot in the road out of concern for a place to turn around with the trailer. Walked up to this later.
w_dallas_campsite.jpg

Somebody lose a key??
key_stake.jpg

Mt Sneffells
mt_sneffels.jpg

Just saw this thread. Thanks for all the photos, it looks beautiful out there. My wife and I are planning on running the trail Montrose -> Moab this weekend and it looks like we’re going solo in our 60 since we had a couple folks bail.

Got some questions:

How technical is the trail? I’ve heard it’s just dirt roads.

How high we’re the water crossings last week?

Anybody camp at Buckeye lake?

Just saw this thread. Thanks for all the photos, it looks beautiful out there. My wife and I are planning on running the trail Montrose -> Moab this weekend and it looks like we’re going solo in our 60 since we had a couple folks bail.

Got some questions:

How technical is the trail? I’ve heard it’s just dirt roads.

How high we’re the water crossings last week?

Anybody camp at Buckeye lake?
Just ran it as well east to west, but jumped off at 2 Mile Road to beat the heat.

Not technical at all.

No water in the water crossings.

Great camping at Buckeye Reservoir - you'll be happy to hit that cool high altitude!

Obligatory photo.
Just ran it as well east to west, but jumped off at 2 Mile Road to beat the heat.

Not technical at all.

No water in the water crossings.

Great camping at Buckeye Reservoir - you'll be happy to hit that cool high altitude!
Thanks man. I bet it’s dry as a bone out there right now.

I’ve read that the west section is a lot of washboard and bouncing over rocks through flat scrubland and that some folks just hop on the highway and head into Moab. Is that where 2 Mile Road is? I don’t have the map in front of me.

I’ve also heard that you can opt to take La Sal Pass into Moab instead of the prescribed route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom