Interest in Rimrocker, Mid July? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just saw this thread. Thanks for all the photos, it looks beautiful out there. My wife and I are planning on running the trail Montrose -> Moab this weekend and it looks like we’re going solo in our 60 since we had a couple folks bail.

Got some questions:

How technical is the trail? I’ve heard it’s just dirt roads.

How high we’re the water crossings last week?

Anybody camp at Buckeye lake?

Yea, not technical at all - just some rocky sections. Pretty well marked, but download the GPS waypoints - there are alot of turns and some markers are missing. I use Backcountry Navigator on an Android tablet.

Water crossings were negligible.

I think there were 2 or 3 sites occupied at Buckeye on Thursday mid-day - noticed alot of reserved signs on sites, so might have gotten fuller later. It's nice, but the lake is very low - would be a great place with full reservoir.

There weren't many camp sites easily found on the very western end of the trail.

Last edited:
Obligatory photo.

Thanks man. I bet it’s dry as a bone out there right now.

I’ve read that the west section is a lot of washboard and bouncing over rocks through flat scrubland and that some folks just hop on the highway and head into Moab. Is that where 2 Mile Road is? I don’t have the map in front of me.

I’ve also heard that you can opt to take La Sal Pass into Moab instead of the prescribed route.

We started out of Moab pretty late in the day. You could bypass a few miles of boring scrub 2-track just outside of Moab. Wouldn't call it washboard though.

I wanted to do La Sal pass, but between our late start and lack of a good map (visitors center in Moab closes @ 6) or waypoints we didn't. I'd try it next time though - the RR route south of the La Sals isn't all that interesting. Second pic is typical of that area.

Obligatory photo.

Thanks man. I bet it’s dry as a bone out there right now.

I’ve read that the west section is a lot of washboard and bouncing over rocks through flat scrubland and that some folks just hop on the highway and head into Moab. Is that where 2 Mile Road is? I don’t have the map in front of me.

I’ve also heard that you can opt to take La Sal Pass into Moab instead of the prescribed route.
2 Mile Road is about 15 miles west of Buckeye - if memory serves - and then you just keep going south to 40-something (?) instead of staying on Rim Rocker. Then a quick pretty drive into Moab. Really a great trail and hats off to the folks who put it together and maintain it. What I know now is you can pick and choose which parts of Rim Rocker you want to do - some a little slower going than others - or just stay on the forest service roads.

Buckeye had 'dispersed' campsites on the east side which were first come first serve. I was the only one there. Water was definitely low.

BFFF2033-4213-43FC-BF45-1B2B35AC3742.jpeg
A6E508A2-078B-4D1A-80B7-383593899D3D.jpeg
50DFF91E-6FF5-4F06-B488-8659123B7C12.jpeg

Thanks for the pointers y’all. This should be a fun trip with a nice little escape from the heat in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom